tibor101

Novice Member
Good evening,
While having my PlayStaion 5 connected to my Panasonic JZ2000 65'' TV I experienced a flicker in the bottom third of the display. It somewhat looks like screen tearing, yet more disturbing. This flicker will only show while operating 4k 60Hz HDR RGB. Once I use 120 Hz mode, or turn off HDR, or choose 4k transfer rate -2 (displaying color via YUV420) this flicker does not show.
I already tried a different HDMI cable.
The TV is set to Game Mode, ALLM activated, VRR deactivated.

Did anyone experience something similar? Any ideas what to do? I would like to use the native 4K HDR 60Hz RGB mode, and not one of the work arounds listed above.

I filmed it, the glitching is seen at 00:02.

This is the PlayStation signal output:
20210919_200840.jpg

I have a bad feeling that the MediaTek chipset used in the JZ2000 is not able to peroperly handle 4K 60 HDR RGB....

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas!

yourboylollipop

Standard Member
Have you tried asking this on the owners’ threads ? I’ve not seen anyone else have this issue and would like to know more before I purchase the tv myself .

Maybe it’s my phone but the video makes the flicker hard to see

dotnotbot

Have you tried asking this on the owners’ threads ? I’ve not seen anyone else have this issue and would like to know more before I purchase the tv myself .

Maybe it’s my phone but the video makes the flicker hard to see

One of the frames is torn, you can see it at the bottom of the screen, especially on the left side, play it at 0.25 speed.

EDIT:
3ZiQlbY.gif

Last edited:

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I saw the screen tear towards the bottom. Given the PS5 does not currently support VRR, I would say this is normal.

However, you are suggesting this screen tearing is only visible when the PS5 is outputting RGB. So I can understand your concern, I’d like to see how this pans out for you too.

Screen tearing can be rather variable. Is this a spot that is easily repeatable for you to test? If you’re able to switch back and to and it is only showing for you with RGB, then this could potentially be a bigger issue.

My gut reaction though would be that the TV and PS5 are performing normally. Screen-tearing is common especially at such vantage points that show a lot of the game map during camera pans.

yourboylollipop

Standard Member
One of the frames is torn, you can see it at the bottom of the screen, especially on the left side, play it at 0.25 speed.

EDIT:
3ZiQlbY.gif

I apologise i was looking for flickering , not screen tearing (I thought they were different things ).

I think I’ll agree with the other comment - without VRR - it’s almost impossible to fault the tv - because it could be the way the game is playing.

If Sony drop VRR support in December , then you’ll finally get to see if it’s a problem with the tv . If you can’t wait for then, the only solution is to have a VRR device and run the same scenes

tibor101

Novice Member
First of all, thanks for your answers, and the editing of the clip!
I put some more time into it, and the tearing/flickering only seems to happen when HDR is activated! Then, I can predictably reproduce the tearing/glitching. It is not the color, as it also happens when I reduce color to YUV422 or YUV420. My first observations were wrong on that behalf. Also resolution doesn't seem to affect it, as 1080p HDR on shows flickering as well.
In real life, it doesn't really feel like ordinary screen tearing, it really looks more like a very brief malfunction of some sorts.
I'll try to see if it also happens on PS4 with HDR enabled. I ll keep you updated !

tibor101

Novice Member
Update: It just happens when using the PS5, and it only seems to happen in 4K 60Hz HDR. Panasonic does not know about similar cases. It might be the PlayStation, but I somehow have a gut feeling that it rather is the TV, or both devices not properly functioning together.

dotnotbot

Did you try maybe playing some videos from internal apps in 4k HDR? Like something from streaming services or Plex, just make sure the TV is receiving 60 Hz (shouldn't be a problem since PS5 doesn't support framerate matching as far as I know)

tibor101

Novice Member
Did you try maybe playing some videos from internal apps in 4k HDR?
It soley happens while using the PS5, and only gaming, not while streaming video content over the PS5.
Another thing you could try is changing HDMI mode from 3 to 2 in TV's settings. This way this HDMI input will behave like 2.0.
I tried that, and as far as I remember problems still occurred. Frankly speaking, I dont think that cutting down on color, framerate or resolution is a suitable fix when buying a high end TV and playing on the newest hardware. I just hope I ll figure out whats going on...

dotnotbot

I tried that, and as far as I remember problems still occurred. Frankly speaking, I dont think that cutting down on color, framerate or resolution is a suitable fix when buying a high end TV and playing on the newest hardware. I just hope I ll figure out whats going on...
I agree, I was just suggesting that because if it doesn't occur with mode 2 then it's 99% TV's fault. It still can be though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom