1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvs Th-a35

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mikeinsthelens, Dec 2, 2003.

1. mikeinsthelens

mikeinsthelens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have just bought a JVC Th-A35, to accompany my JVC AV32R250EK.

What i have noticed is that some of my DVD's still have the black sections at the top and bottom of the screen. I have changed the picture size on the DVD player to 16.9 widescreen, and my TV is on Auto. This only happens with some DVD's namely Star Wars and James Bond, of the ones I have tried.

I have to zoom in with one click to get the full picture.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards Mike

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Probably nothing. Assuming your TV is in "Full" mode, the reason for the black bands is that most movies are in 2.35:1 format. Widescreen is 16:9, i.e. 1.66:1. The movie format is wider than widescreen, hence the bars. Digital Spy's Widescreen FAQ will explain a little more.

3. mikeinsthelens

mikeinsthelens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my TV does go automatically to full mode.

Are the majority of DVDs like this or are the ones I have got in the minority??

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Most big movies are normally 2.35:1 on DVD but they are available in various formats. Many studios release the same movie in various formats, they say to give the viewer choice but the cynics would say it's to make more money from them. If you have time on your hands, this section of the DVD FAQ is worth reading. The FAQ is large and will take a while to load if you're on a dial up connection, but it's worth the wait. It's the best DVD FAQ anywhere.

5. mikeinsthelens

mikeinsthelens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you learn something new everyday! lol

I wish I knew that before I ordered all my xmas dvd's off Amazon, I have no way of checking with them with regards as to which format they are.

Guess Ill just have to use the zoom button :mad: