1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jvc32x25 flatscreen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jac, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this tv online from sound and vision bolton for a very reasonable £750 inc delivery in december. have found it hard to adjust to viewing my first widescreen tv and 100 hertz pic.

rang sound and vision and said it looked strange blurring,softfocus pic etc. was told this was normal with all 100hertz and would need time to get used to it.

so i left it for few weeks. I think i might have stumbled on a reason for the problems.

when setting the thx video settings on monsters inc. i noticed that the grid pattern was distorted on the right hand side. the boxes are 20mm wider than the left in full screen mode.this seems to distort moving text and objects especially when camera pans, has anyone else noticed this? someone coming to see tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens
    ive had it more than 28 days. am i entitled to a exchange or just a repair? sorry about the long post but it is my first.:)

2. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Widescreen televisions do this in panaramic mode because they stretch the picture. If you set it in widescreen mode and it still does this tjhen you should get in touch with the retailer.

3. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply p.smith.

ive tried thx settings on all modes . i know the sides of the picture get stretched in panoramic and full screen but surely the displayed image should be equal or thereabouts and not 20mm difference on either side of the screen.

i think the screen is either thicker on one side or has a bulge
    which distorts the image

engineer ringing to make an appointment tomorrow.

hope he doesnt try to fob me off with "its within jvc tolerance limits" because now ive noticed it i keep looking for distortions when watching.

a bit like watching a fish swim past in a fish bowl !

:rolleyes: any one else any advice?

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    From your description it sounds like the line linearity needs adjustment. It would be useful to have some sort of uniform test pattern to show the engineer to prove there is a problem. You mention Monsters Inc. I believe this, in common with other THX DVDs has several suitable test patterns.

5. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks garyb

i'll show the engineer the test patterns when he or she comes. hopefully it can be adjusted in the service menu. i have tried and dont see how.

dont really want it taken away if possible as ive thrown away the box. :clown:

I'll keep you posted:)

6. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update on jvc 32x25

engineer has just been his diagnosis is:

1. a purity error in the bottom of the left side of screen.
    2. a convergance error possibly related to the above.
    3. geometry out.

he said it needed a needed a new tube which could take upto 3 weeks to source and fit.

he wanted to take it away in his van with no packing or wrapping whatsoever just the carpet in the back of his van. i refused.

Have just spent 30 minutes trying to get through to customer services of sound and vision with no joy. have just sent them an e-mail asking for a replacement set as a repair of the tube is unacceptable after having the set such a short time. I'll let you know the outcome.

7. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound and vision just called. they said they would replace my set . i said i didnt want one from the same batch as it may have the same problems. i was assured it wouldnt be as all christmas stock had been sold. wonder if theres more like mine out there.

anyone else got a bad 32x25 or a good one?

anyway a new one on its way soon.

lets hope its a good un!

8. jac

jac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have i done the right thing?

Ive asked sound and vision to send me a 32r25( 50 hertz) as a replacement for my faulty 32x25 (100 hertz).

the 100 hertz set bugs me. if i set it to plain 100 hertz ie no processing, any moving objects become blurry. if i put it into digi pure mode you get a much sharper picture but all the processing artifacts:(

well ive bit the bullet and gone for the 50 hertz set. It gets delivered next week. I think i'll wait until the technology is sorted before i delve into the 100 hertz market , by then i might be able to afford a plasma:D whats the point of all this processing palava if it aint up to the job?

any one out there whose gone back to 50 hertz from 100 . what do you think?

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    As you've found, 100Hz sets are not for everyone. Some people seem more sensitive to the side effects of 100Hz processing than others. Like you, I cannot live with a 100Hz picture. The basic rule is stick with what works for you. I work for one of the major manufacturers and have access to just about every type of set available but I still use a 50Hz set at home. Bear in mind that most plasmas have pictures quite similar to 100Hz TVs so make sure you get a long audition before you part with the cash.