JVC X70 + HD Fury Linker

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mambo1888, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Hi folks, after reading some of the recent reviews here on AVF (mainly the JVC X7900 and Dark Knight Trilogy UHD BD's) I was really verging on upgrading my PJ but I have decided to try and squeeze a bit more out my X70 for the time being.

The HDFury was mentioned in one of the conversations in the X7900 review but I didnt want to get that thread off track so started this one just looking for a bit of advice. I have ordered the HDFury Linker which will arrive tomorrow along with The Dark Knight Trilogy on UHD. For the time being I will just use my Xbox One S for playing UHD BD's.

Am I right in thinking I will be able to connect the output from my AVR to the HDFury then to the X70 and this will allow me to output the UHD BD from the Xbox to the Projector. Does this method have good results?

Is there anything else that needs to be done to get the best out of this setup or have I missed anything?

On a totally separate issue, I was also thinking about getting the X70 calibrated or buying the equipment and having a go myself. I think I will end up upgrading in the next 1-2 years, and the lamp is at 1394 Hours, so Im not sure if getting it professionally calibrated at this point is still worthwhile.

Any input, as always much appreciated :)

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    You can only output 4K to an X70 by downscaling it to 1080p. The X70 does not have a 4K input, despite having 4K eShift. It can only use eShift to upscale internally a 1080p input to 4K.

The ability to use a linker to get full 4K into an x-series JVC didn't start until the X500, which was the first unit to have a 4k input. In the case of X500 it only has HDCP1.4 input, so you need the linker to provide an HDCP2.2 sink to unlock the UHD playback.

In my experience of X3/30, the lamp won't have very much useful life left at 1300hrs for most screen sizes (unless you flip to high lamp mode).

3. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Thanks mate, what I was thinking in this scenario is that the linker would downsample the 4k supply input to 1080p (might have picked this up wrong) I thought it would be similar to what the newer JVC's do internally. Will this not be the case? I thought it read on the website that it will take a 4k input and output it at 1080p, but I might be missing something.

As for the lamp im still getting a really good picture but im aware it is quite high, so I guess getting professionally calibrated at this stage of its life might not be good idea.

4. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    This was the other one I was looking at doing the same thing -HDMI 4K HDCP 2.2 compliant down-scaler with EDID management

I should say the reasons behind me wanting to do this is to hold off on upgrading my projector while starting to buy UHD BD rather than double dipping down the line, as well as to hopefully see an improvement in video quality and also where atmos soundtracks are only included on the UHD Disc

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    A UHD player will do this downscaling for you already, so the Linker is superfluous.

The only reason to add a Linker to your system is if you want to convince the player to output the HDR signal as HDR and to create your own custom curve in the JVC to convert it to SDR; or you want access specifically to the 4K Netflix streams (which you can only get if there is a 4K 2.2 display at the output). If not, avoid the Linker and just use the built in HDR->SDR conversion present in the player.

Sony X800 does a pretty good job of this. It is a very well put together machine; the only real downside is a lack of 50Hz support for streaming services, and no Dolby Vision (but that isn't an issue for projection users).

6. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Ah I see, think I have been reading a few different articles about the HDFury and just convinced myself I needed it lol.

Do you know how well the xbox one downscale's a UHD BD?

7. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    I don't know, sorry. The minimum you really want is some kind of user control for adjusting the HDR-SDR conversion. I don't know if XBOX does this. The Sony standalone does do it.

For what it is worth, I don't think there is anything to write home about the downscaling engine of the Linker.

8. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    @mambo1888
    The `JVCs Blue filter` Cinema Profile will boost colours keeping skin tones in check.
    To add more `pop` New Lamp + try the Gamma C `S-curve` and adjust the Tone levels for preference.

9. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Thanks for the tip, Ive just finished watching Batman Begins UHD BD via the Xbox. I thought it looked reaaly good most of the time, mainly the darker scenes and being the film it is, there are more darker scenes than brighter scenes. I did find the brighter scenes a little washed out but they didnt look bad either. I was using the standard THX mode but im going to do some comparisons with the standard blu ray and have a mess about with settings.

Thanks for all your help mate, I managed to cancel the HDFury yesterday. The xbox seemed to do a pretty good job of downscaling. The money I saved on that will either go towards a new lamp, dedicated UHD Blu Ray player or just be kept and put towards my next PJ.

10. mambo1888

mambo1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Just done some comparisons using the blu ray in my BDT-700 and the UHD in the Xbox, the biggest difference which is really noticeable is the sound, which after listening to scene where Bruce tries the Tumbler for the first time the UHD is really loud and fills the room, the standard blu ray seems really lacking. I tried the the blu ray in the Xbox incase it was something to do with the Xbox or BDP but it was still the same.

Picture wise I thought the Blu Ray actually looked slightly better/sharper while the UHD was a bit darker. I then noticed that the blu ray was outputting 12bit and the UHD was 8Bit, after changing the Xbox to output @ 12Bit there really wasn't much between them (this also sorted out the washed out look on some of the brighter scenes)