JVC X7 Issue - randomly turning on?

quentinrayner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First post so apologies if I haven't given enough detail...

I have an JVC X7 projector which over the last 12 months or so has been randomly turning on by itself (birth of my son delayed me picking this issue back up!). I have removed all of my IR control and removed the batteries from the remote and also followed the procedure to turn the remote control set to "B" to see if this would rectify the situation... it doesn't!

My next thoughts are to plug it into a different power socket, however clutching at straws I think unless anyone can shed any light?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

I'm not familiar with the projector, but could it be possible that some other remote is turning it on? It doesn't have to be an on/off command from another remote, it could be a channel change or volume command for example.

Maybe try all the commands from your other remotes to see if they affect the JVC.

I have heard that sometimes a random reflection or similar can generate a similar signal so maybe that could be happening, though I can't remember the details of that scenario.

Gary

Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to remove all of the remote batteries and see if it happens still.

When you say random reflection, do you mean from another IR source?

It's a really odd one!

I mean like sunlight bouncing off of a reflective surface. I'm sure I read that somewhere, but not sure of the circumstances. It was just something that I thought worth mentioning just in case.

@GaryB is a JVC employee and he may have some info on this problem if he's come across it before.

Gary

I've never heard of that happening on any of our projectors (I work for JVC UK BTW). As well as interference from signals emitted by other remotes, I have heard of the odd case of high frequency fluorescent lights affecting some IR receivers, so that's worth checking too.

Thanks GaryB - the room is above a garage with big flourescent bulbs however would I be safe to assume that this would not pass through a floor?

Thanks GaryB - the room is above a garage with big flourescent bulbs however would I be safe to assume that this would not pass through a floor?

The light wouldn't, but I guess it's just about possible that some sort of electromagnetic interference could. It's worth checking with the lights off if possible, or maybe move the projector somewhere else, just to test it.

Could it possibly be a sticky on/off switch on the pj itself? If the switch/button is almost in the on position, a vibration from above or a door closing for example might be just enough to make the contact. With the pj unplugged, press the on/off button a few times to see if it feels odd, or to see if it frees it up.

Gary

I recently bought a Sony Blu Ray player. I found that whenever I turned that on it turned my JVC X3 on.

Blu ray player was connected to a matrix input and matrix output to the X3.

I didn't keep the blu ray player so can't test further.

Could it possibly be a sticky on/off switch on the pj itself? If the switch/button is almost in the on position, a vibration from above or a door closing for example might be just enough to make the contact. With the pj unplugged, press the on/off button a few times to see if it feels odd, or to see if it frees it up.

Gary

Just a thought. If this were the cause (and it's certainly a possibility), it would probably also happen when the projector is on too, in which case it would pop up the "Press Again To Switch Off" on screen message to confirm power off. Does that ever appear when the projector is on?

I recently bought a Sony Blu Ray player. I found that whenever I turned that on it turned my JVC X3 on.

Blu ray player was connected to a matrix input and matrix output to the X3.

I didn't keep the blu ray player so can't test further.

It would be worth switching off the "Control With HDMI" option in the HDMI menu to check this. That will disable any external HDMI control.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their help so far! I have narrowed it down to the HDMI output from the amp. I will try and turn off the "Control with HDMI" option to see if that has any effect...

A little odd however as none of the other kit is turned on during the period the projector "turns itself on".

Will let you know my findings (I have to leave it for 12-24 hours at a time to be sure!).

So... I checked that "Control with HDMI" and it is definitely already turned off. I have isolated it to the HDMI as without it plugged into the projector it stays off. I have tried a different cable and am currently testing HDMI input 2 in case the HDMI input 1 is faulty. I will then try the second output on the amp as it has 2...

GaryB or anyone else... any other ideas?!

* BUMP *

I have narrowed this down to the HDMI OUT MAIN on my Onkyo 5508. This has had it's HDMI board replaced twice under the extended warranty because of the documented issues so am wondering if it is linked to that.

Strange that it is sending some sort of signal to turn on the projector however as HDMI control is off on both devices.... the second HDMI out doesn't seem to have an issue!

Anyone got any thoughts which may help?

Cheers,

Ben

Do you have a different issue if you were to just use the sub output instead if that works?

Just looked at the Onkyo manual. Have you made sure Power Control and TV Control are off? It notes you must power all devices down and restart for these changes.

Thanks for these suggestions. I have RIHD turned off so those settings aren't changeable from 'off' either however I will double check tomorrow.

It does look like there may be an issue with the main output however I am struggling to see how that would turn on the projector...

The sub out seems to work flawlessly so I could just use that, although I don't like to be beaten with these things!

I would turn RIHD on, turn Power Control and TV Control on and off and then turn RIHD off just to be sure.

Well I decided to do just that this morning, and 3 hours later it hasn't turned on. I wonder if there is either a firmware fault or this is intentional behaviour and during one of it's 2 service stops they have turned one of both of these to test...

I will see what happens over the next couple of days!

Thanks.

Well that hasn't worked... it came on over the last 24 hours. I have hit a brickwall so going to try and update the projector firmware and have e-mailed Onkyo for assistance.

Thanks for your help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom