Answered JVC X5900 SkyQ UHD/1080p Issues

johna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I can't seem to get a stable 4k/1080p image to my Projector from Sky Q.

4k - i'm lucky to get an image and sound for more than a few seconds, 1080p typically will drop picture and sound every 20 minutes or so for a few seconds each time however 1080i works fine.

I've tried different high speed HDMI cable and bypassing the Denon amp and always have the same issue.

Wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction? Current Set up is as follows

Input: Sky Q Silver (1st generation box) set to UHD 8 bit > Sky supplied HDMI cable > Denon X4300H
Output: Denon X4300H Monitor 1 > 3 Meter amazon high speed HDMI cable > LG OLED E6 (works fine)
Output: Denon X4300H Monitor 2 > 1 Meter CSL High speed HDMI cable > HMDI Extender (AV Access 4KEX100-L) > 20 M Cat 6 cable > 5 Meter CSL High speed HDMI cable > HDMI 1 JVC X5900 (picture drop outs as described above)

If I connect Sky Q directly to the PJ over a 3m HDMI it works fine.

Im wondering if it's the overall length of HDMI cables, some handshake issues, EDID ?? Lost really.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Hi All,

I can't seem to get a stable 4k/1080p image to my Projector from Sky Q.

4k - i'm lucky to get an image and sound for more than a few seconds, 1080p typically will drop picture and sound every 20 minutes or so for a few seconds each time however 1080i works fine.

I've tried different high speed HDMI cable and bypassing the Denon amp and always have the same issue.

Wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction? Current Set up is as follows

Input: Sky Q Silver (1st generation box) set to UHD 8 bit > Sky supplied HDMI cable > Denon X4300H
Output: Denon X4300H Monitor 1 > 3 Meter amazon high speed HDMI cable > LG OLED E6 (works fine)
Output: Denon X4300H Monitor 2 > 1 Meter CSL High speed HDMI cable > HMDI Extender (AV Access 4KEX100-L) > 20 M Cat 6 cable > 5 Meter CSL High speed HDMI cable > HDMI 1 JVC X5900 (picture drop outs as described above)

If I connect Sky Q directly to the PJ over a 3m HDMI it works fine.

Im wondering if it's the overall length of HDMI cables, some handshake issues, EDID ?? Lost really.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John
The Problem is likely to be one of the many hdmi cables or cat 6 extender you have. The sky q 4k signal is not that large a bandwidth either when compared to hdr signals.
You will need to isolate the problem but it is likely the cat6 / 5m hdmi combination.
Is there any way you can connect sky q to the JVC vis this, bypassing the amp?
Also, do you have other sources going to the amp then projector that do work?
I have had problems with the supplied sky hdmi in the past as well as they tend to be of the cheaper variety.

Thanks Tim, when the SKY Q box is connected directly bypassing the amp and extender it works (as i'd expect), if I bypass the amp but utalise the extender the image is more stable but still drops, unfortunatly the Sky box is the only 4k source I have.

I'v just ordered some .5 m high speed HDMI cables and will replace the current ones with these to see if that helps, if not I will replace the HDMI extender, failing that I suppose it's purchasing a fibre hdmi cable...

I'm wondering if one of the HDFury devices would help me somehow

Just Goggled and your extender is rated at HDMI 1.4 not HDMI 2 which is required for Sky with 4k. You'll probably not get a reliable HDMI at 20m unless it's a fibre one rated at 18gbps which means £100-200.

Thanks Tim, when the SKY Q box is connected directly bypassing the amp and extender it works (as i'd expect), if I bypass the amp but utalise the extender the image is more stable but still drops, unfortunatly the Sky box is the only 4k source I have.

I'v just ordered some .5 m high speed HDMI cables and will replace the current ones with these to see if that helps, if not I will replace the HDMI extender, failing that I suppose it's purchasing a fibre hdmi cable...

I'm wondering if one of the HDFury devices would help me somehow
Not sure about the fury. I had cat6 baluns which caused all sorts of issues with colour banding and drop outs. Ended up getting a fibre hdmi (monoprice make) off amazon which has resolved all the issues.
Good luck

Just doing more reading and the extender literature I find misleading, probably deliberately so. It says it's HDCP 2.2 compatible, but nowhere does it say HDMI 2 and no where does it show the bandwidth at all, so suspect it's not up to the job else they'd have it in neon lights!! :)

If you order one from Amazon and ensure it prime i.e. handled by Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't solve your issue..

Thank you both for the answers, a real help. I suspect that the extender is the issue, unfortunatly i threw out the box so not sure I can return now. AV access do a different model the 4KEX70-H2 which specifically refences HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 - think I'll order that and see if it works.

Thanks again!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Also, one thing to try before you spend money. Have you tried configuring the Denon HDMI outs to be just OUT1 or OUT2 instead of Both/Auto?!

Also, one thing to try before you spend money. Have you tried configuring the Denon HDMI outs to be just OUT1 or OUT2 instead of Both/Auto?!

Yes, I have literally tried every conceivable config’ in the Denon and the Sky (including moving the input to the CD input on the AMP as it’s closer to the Monitor out port). I have tried disabling HDMI control, setting the output on the amp to 4k etc.

I would prefer the HDMI cable however it’s routing the cable that’s an issue, the CAT cable just about fit under the skirting board, however if all else fails that’s what I will have to do. I’ll just make sure to keep the box this time so I can return the new switcher if it doesn’t work.

My system gets confused if both output HDMI's are live at the same time so I have to set only HDMIOUT1 live if watching TV and OUT2 live if watching PJ but never both. I suspect this is not your issue, but free to try.

Thank you both for the answers, a real help. I suspect that the extender is the issue, unfortunatly i threw out the box so not sure I can return now. AV access do a different model the 4KEX70-H2 which specifically refences HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 - think I'll order that and see if it works.

Thanks again!
I also had that one. Did work but introduced bad colour banding on 4k hdr images and would occasionally drop out.
My advice is don’t make the mistake I did and bite the bullet and get a fibre hdmi. The monoprice one on amazon is available with prime. There is another highly recommended one by Ruipro that is also available in this country but a little more expensive.

Rui pro is not the best (I have one) with a JVC x5900 PJ if your amp feeds both a TV and PJ and you don't want to turn on/off each individual HDMI output when switching between displays. With Denon (OP has) and Marantz it's easy if you have a Harmony remote as you can program a single key or macro, but if not it's 9-10 remote clicks to go through the menus on Denon.

Rui pro is not the best (I have one) with a JVC x5900 PJ if your amp feeds both a TV and PJ and you don't want to turn on/off each individual HDMI output when switching between displays. With Denon (OP has) and Marantz it's easy if you have a Harmony remote as you can program a single key or macro, but if not it's 9-10 remote clicks to go through the menus on Denon.
Yep. That’s what I do with my Yamaha avr. Turns off the hdmi to the TV when using the PJ via a monoprice fibre hdmi. I was too cheap to get the Ruipro. Not sure what the difference is between them apart from where that are made (China vs US) but so far so good with the monoprice.

Yep. That’s what I do with my Yamaha avr. Turns off the hdmi to the TV when using the PJ via a monoprice fibre hdmi. I was too cheap to get the Ruipro. Not sure what the difference is between them apart from where that are made (China vs US) but so far so good with the monoprice.
So does the monoprice not play nicely with both connected? Problem is with that is that it limits your choice of amps. I recently looked at Anthem but it's a no go due to this.

So does the monoprice not play nicely with both connected? Problem is with that is that it limits your choice of amps. I recently looked at Anthem but it's a no go due to this.
I’ve not tried both hdmi outputs on at the same time as I have a 1080p TV connected to one via a CYP downscaler and the PJ connected directly to the other. The harmony is set up to switch the hdmi output from the amp depending whether the TV or PJ is on.
I would have thought it would be the same as the Ruipro.

I ordered an IBRA from Amazon to try as if I can find a cable wihtout this issue I have a wider choice of amps I can change to, as am pee'd off with having to stick with Denon / Marantz. I want an Arcam or Anthem but can't because of this issue...

I ordered an IBRA from Amazon to try as if I can find a cable wihtout this issue I have a wider choice of amps I can change to, as am pee'd off with having to stick with Denon / Marantz. I want an Arcam or Anthem but can't because of this issue...
I’m a bit confused as to what the issue is? Are you not able to switch the HDMI outputs easily?

On the Arcam ARV550 both HDMI outs are always live so you can't turn them off. When I turn the JVC off and turn the Panny TV on, eveything is ok for 30 secs or so until the fans on the PJ go off and then the fibre cable looses power from the PJ end and it throws the amp out and the TV looses it's picture. Only way to solve it is unplug the PJ fibre hdmi or have an amp that can turn off HDMI outputs. If I use a standard HDMI cable (not long enough in practice) the issue is not there. The fibre cable loosing power from the display end causes the fibre cable to confuse the amp. Only solution is sitck with amps that can turn off HDMI out, which is NOT any amps with DIRAC... :(

On the Arcam ARV550 both HDMI outs are always live so you can't turn them off. When I turn the JVC off and turn the Panny TV on, eveything is ok for 30 secs or so until the fans on the PJ go off and then the fibre cable looses power from the PJ end and it throws the amp out and the TV looses it's picture. Only way to solve it is unplug the PJ fibre hdmi or have an amp that can turn off HDMI outputs. If I use a standard HDMI cable (not long enough in practice) the issue is not there. The fibre cable loosing power from the display end causes the fibre cable to confuse the amp. Only solution is sitck with amps that can turn off HDMI out, which is NOT any amps with DIRAC... :(
What about getting an HDMI switcher? Or one of the hdfury devices with dual hdmi out that would maintain the edid information no matter what was happening display end.

I used to get hdcp / edid errors when I was running baluns and ended up running both the PJ and TV from the CYP downscaler which would allow passthrough of resolution / hdr to the PJ but downscale for the TV. Both outputs were on permanently from the CYP device and it solves that issue. I changed to fibre hdmi as I wanted 18Gbs bandwidth for higher refresh rate 4k hdr material.

I bought and tried a Fury but couldn't get it to work easily so put it in a draw somewhere, maybe could have given it some more time, but to be honest I gave up on the Arcam at that point and bought a Marantz 7011 as saw it going at a good price and that was a good enough excuse to give up on the Arcam. Best I could find was using a German 4k@60hz HDR rated HDMI splitter, plug it in via a remote controled plug then when I switch off the PJ, I pick up the special plug remote to turn off the splitter. Problem was I went away with work for a few days and each day I get calls from the family, how do I get this to work, so not a very family friendly solution as couldn't get the Harmony to control plug, it was all too complicated.... The Denon x4400 amp I now have also works well and as a bonus I can read the screen, but I'm limited in what I can do next. In desperation I just ordered an x6400 this morning, but I really wanted another Arcam or NAD with Dirac or maybe an Anthem with ARC... Will try this new cable when it turns up via Prime tomorrow and see... If it's no good I'll give up on the Dirac amp side for a while and just stick where I am and not worry about room correction..

What fury? I found them easy to contact and ask stuff, i found a vertex.

Worth asking them i think..i use the discord app or the avs thread they answer on both

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom