Question JVC X5500 vs X5900

mattmarsden

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help me make my mind up between a JVC X5500 and X5900 - the main difference as I see it is being able to apply the dynamic iris on HDR content. Is the HDR mode any good on the X5900 and am I likely to use it or would I be better off converting to SDR in which case the advantage of the X5900 is sort of redundant. I'll be feeding it from an Oppo203. If I've missed anything please let me know!

The main difference I saw when making my decision was £1000:laugh:
You can use a Linker to enable iris with HDR.
From memory you also get eshift5 which is supposed to be better than eshift4. HDR is supposed to be good especially if you start getting into custom gamma curves.
I have yet to try it on mine.

You won't have to send a 5900 in to have the fix applied for CMD banding (assuming you care about CMD, and assuming the fix does materialise - apparently on the way),

I don't know if anyone can help me make my mind up between a JVC X5500 and X5900 - the main difference as I see it is being able to apply the dynamic iris on HDR content. Is the HDR mode any good on the X5900 and am I likely to use it or would I be better off converting to SDR in which case the advantage of the X5900 is sort of redundant. I'll be feeding it from an Oppo203. If I've missed anything please let me know!

Are you trading up or deciding between the 2 as purchase?

I traded up from a 520 to x990, but had jvc not offered the new pricing on the 6xx/9xx, I would not have traded up to the 540. I would just gotten the cmd fix done.

The update to hdr controls is nice, but as noted you have options, and once the vertex hits the streets linkers might become cheaper to buy.

So I've decided to go with an X5900 - £3999 from Richersounds with a 6 year warranty seemed a pretty good deal.

So I've decided to go with an X5900 - £3999 from Richersounds with a 6 year warranty seemed a pretty good deal.

That's a good price having looked around at few other sites. Do you know if that warranty is transferable as that's always been a bugbear with the JVC warranty when selling the projector on?

I see the X7900 is £5,799 which is £500 less than I've seen it on other sites.

Apparently the warranty is transferable and they are meant to be very good with warranty claims. I've had dealings with JVC before for warranty claims and I've found them not very helpful.

Interesting - looks like they have chosen to swallow the new JVC pricing themselves then. Have you checked on the warranty with RS - will be useful info for others. It has been discussed recently that they've stopped allowing transfers for some kinds of devices (I think).

Interesting - looks like they have chosen to swallow the new JVC pricing themselves then. Have you checked on the warranty with RS - will be useful info for others. It has been discussed recently that they've stopped allowing transfers for some kinds of devices (I think).

I'm pretty sure that's correct, I had read the same thing that RS warranty are no longer transferable.

That's a great deal, let us know how you get on with it.

You won’t be disappointed, my X5500 never fails to impress me. When do you get it?

That's a good price having looked around at few other sites. Do you know if that warranty is transferable as that's always been a bugbear with the JVC warranty when selling the projector on?

I see the X7900 is £5,799 which is £500 less than I've seen it on other sites.

Actually these are the new RRPs. I had a discussion with the 'man' at JVC that sets the UK pricing last week, and he had just managed to get support from JVC Japan to be able to reduce the price increases for the RRPs on the X5900 and X7900:)

My mistake...when I looked yesterday there were some other dealers showing at the higher price, I didn't check Kalibrate until later.

Actually these are the new RRPs. I had a discussion with the 'man' at JVC that sets the UK pricing last week, and he had just managed to get support from JVC Japan to be able to reduce the price increases for the RRPs on the X5900 and X7900:)
Now this is more interesting!!! :)

My mistake...when I looked yesterday there were some other dealers showing at the higher price, I didn't check Kalibrate until later.

Until the middle of last week, you would have been right to expect the higher prices. I was told last week, and the distributors were told on the same day, I believe, so it may not have filtered out to all the dealers yet;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom