JVC X55 or Sony HW50 choice

craigharrison

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I would appreciate some advice regarding the choice of PJ for my mini (4.2m x 3m) dedicated cinema room, with total light control. Whilst the price difference is a factor it is not the deciding one. I will be watching movies (Blu-ray) and sport (Sky+ HD) 50:50. The screen will be a fixed 95" AT Seymour Center Stage

I have been advised that the comments on some of the forums regarding a yellow/green tinge to facial complexions with the JVC can be resolved with the correct setup. I am concerned that several reviews mention a poorer motion response for the X55 especially with sport and games.

My chief concern with the Sony is that it has no lens memory and I will need to adjust the lens every time I change from viewing TV on 16:9 to movies on 2.35:1 which I foresee as a pain.

I would appreciate comments from individuals who have had experience with either the JVC (motion blur) or the Sony (lens adjustment).

Thanks!

Probably best to ask this in the projectors sub forum, but just to comment that a fairer comparison would be the X35 and the HW50 as the price is pretty much identical. The X35 lacks the CMS and EShift (faux 4k effect) but unless you're going to get it calibrated the CMS doesn't provide any benefit IMHO. I measured my X35 before I calibrated it (with an external CMS) and it was pretty close anyway. The X55 is much more expensive and around the same price as a Sony VW95ES (which has powered zoom).

Some don't like the motion on JVCs though I think it is exagerated by certain settings since I don't notice it on my X35, but when I went to a forum meet recently both their X35 and X55 had a juddering motion on horizontal pans. I think they had the sharpness cranked up a bit and some other settings too may have been set sub optimally.

The Sony is supposed to be much better with motion, but do check that the zoom range wil suit your screen/room: I found that it wouldn't suit my room as the image would have been too big for my screen (I use an anamorphic lens which needed a smaller pre-lens image).

Basically you need to find a dealer with both and have a decent demo:

Kalibrate in Caterham and IdealAV in Normaton are both forum assured advertisers and carry both models.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom