Question JVC X35 Calibration tips

JamesBaby

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I am using the i1DPro meter, and followed as much of the advice above by going into the service menu and setting 100IRE.

So I leave the offsets and gains in the main menu untouched, and go into the 10 point Gamma. At this point my Green is ruler flat. Red and blue are out across the line, but blue more so. What are the accepted methods for balancing the white points here at each IRE? For example can I adjust Green here or is that a no no?. Is it ok to increase Red as well to help reduce the blue?

Appreciate your advice.

Andy360

@Stridsvognen My lamp has passed the 100hr mark now so I've download HCFR so I can have a play with that. I was thinking I should start with a lower gamma this time like 2.0 or 1.8 and correct it to 2.3 as I still have a little bit of crush in the low IRE black below 5%. I will not be raising the black level with the brightness control or offsets ever again btw. 😉

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I am using the i1DPro meter, and followed as much of the advice above by going into the service menu and setting 100IRE.

So I leave the offsets and gains in the main menu untouched, and go into the 10 point Gamma. At this point my Green is ruler flat. Red and blue are out across the line, but blue more so. What are the accepted methods for balancing the white points here at each IRE? For example can I adjust Green here or is that a no no?. Is it ok to increase Red as well to help reduce the blue?

Appreciate your advice.
Remember to leve room for adjustment when you set the gain in the service menu, like mentioned always leave red on 0, lower blue and green in the service menu till you have something like 10% to much blue and green, and adjust the rest in the color temp menu. To adjust the multipoint you need to look at the gamma curve, not the grayscale, so try start off douing a rough gammacurve using the white gamma adjustment, in HCFR you can select dE with gamma like ilustrated below, that way is the most intuitive to adjust looking the grayscale, ill recommend setting a 2.3 gamma and calibrate to a 2.35 to 2.4 gamma. Remember to measure out of the lens and not off screen.
image_2020_06_18T14_10_25_097Z.png

@Stridsvognen My lamp has passed the 100hr mark now so I've download HCFR so I can have a play with that. I was thinking I should start with a lower gamma this time like 2.0 or 1.8 and correct it to 2.3 as I still have a little bit of crush in the low IRE black below 5%. I will not be raising the black level with the brightness control or offsets ever again btw. 😉
Try set up your probe 60cm from the lens with difuser on, and select ambient mode, and then do a 21 point grayscale, and post a screenshot here using the absolute W gamma CIE 2000, your defoult gamma setting ill guess 2.3 or 2.4 will work the best, also measure the out of black grayscale / gamma to see how it comes out of black, it is possible to use the ofsett together, so adjusting them all to same settings, to tweak out of black, just need to have focus on your contrast reading.

It should be possible to get it looking something like this old X3 measured out of the lens.
JVC X3.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom