Jvc x35, 117" react 2.35 and 4 metres throw, am I going to be disappointed?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by corrado kid, Aug 31, 2013.

1. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Ok so I'm currently running a Epsom tw9000 in my white living room with approx 4 metres throw distance. I've been saving for the react screen in 117" diagonal 2.35 size and I'm nearly there :clap: the Epsom was bought with brightness in mind running with the react screens and the jvc kind of dismissed but it appears that it may not be that much in it in the real world. A small stumbling block was also the type of ceiling mount but I think I have figured that one out and the memory lens function of the jvc would be really handy for me using the 2.35 screen. My question really is anyone running this combo and happy with the brightnes of the jvc?

2. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    I don't run quite the same setup, but it's in the ballpark I'd think (lumens and contrast anyway).

X55 / approx 3.7m throw / 107" ReAct 2.1 (2.35:1).

No complaints from me. For reference - white ceiling which is 580mm above the top of the screen, dark green carpet, teracota walls. I use the lens memory for different content, no anamorphic lens. For both 2D and 3D, in the month or two I've had the combination running, I couldn't have been happier. It exceeded my expectations and any visitors always speak positively about it.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,875
    I'm running an X35 but slightly smaller screen than the size you're looking at, plus it's a 1.5 gain matt white 112" wide 2.35:1. However, even at 260+ hours I've barely had any lamp dimming (I measure it so it's not a subjective opinion; it's about 5% drop if that).

For 2.35:1 I use an Isco II lens, but in practice I find there isn't any big difference in the light output compared to just zooming. This is possibly due to the fact that with the lens in place I'm at minimum zoom so therefore get the least brightness. I run with the iris (aperture) at about -8 for 2.35:1 which gives me about 14fL. I'll have to measure how much more output I could have by opening the iris further, then you might be able to extrapolate what fL to expect on your larger, lower gain screen. Not sure what the gain is on the ReAct 2.1 though as in practice I think my 1.5 gain is probably nearer 1.3 according to some who have tested it, so there might not be too much in it.

I'd be interested in how it works out since despite me planing some room changes to improve contrast, there is still the outside chance that I'd get a ReAct myself and it could be a little wider than now as I'm moving my speakers, so I could end up with 117" wide myself.:smashin:

EDIT: Looks like a gain of 1.0 so if I changed mine to the same size I'd be at maybe 10fL with the same iris position, which is starting to get a bit low, but I need to see how much this could be increased by opening the iris. Plus if you are using shorter throw (and therefore more zoom) you will tend to get more light output (and less contrast) towards the max zoom end of the projector. Therefore I'm kind of a worst case scenario.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    What's your throw distance kelvin? The screen is a must in my room and with that throw distance about right I feel ( my sofa is directly below the projector ) but I'm just a little worried that it will be a little dim. We also watch a reasonable amount of 3d with the kids so that needs to be factored in really. If I was paying full price for the projector I'd be happy to take one on demo but It's a second hand unit so can't really demo it. I'd also need to change the projector mount, and I don't have the screen yet! I suppose it would be a trade off between brightness with the epson and improved blacks and motorised lens shift with the jvc.

5. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks Chevy, that does indeed sound pretty similar to what my setup would be, I also believe the x35 is rated at slightly higher lumens than the x55 which would probably help with the larger screen size. How far open do you have the aperture? Although it probably won't help that much do you have any pictures posted anywhere?

6. Chevyonfuel

Chevyonfuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,439
    There's a thread in the build section (only posted today actually), showing the setup. There's no screenshots in it as such, so here's a few quick grabs from Oblivion. Apologies for the quality - I'd never use someone's screenshots as a guide though. As Kelvin's signature perfectly sums it up, you have to see it with your own eyes and ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For 2D content, the aperture is fully closed - it might start to be opened as the lamp hours go up (just passed 300h). For 3D, I keep it low lamp mode, and have the aperture opened up to about half (doesn't really need to be fully open, but there's lots of variables).

7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,384
    Dan

if I thought this combination wasn`t good enough then trust me I wouldn`t show it here, why would I?

think about it, i`m here to show you something thats gonna blow your socks off so if it didn`t i`d be crazy to show something that didn`t

as I always say, the best advice I can possibly say to you is to have a demo of it and let your eyes be the judge

no screen shots from anyone should be used really, see for yourself and let your eyes be the deciding factor, it really is the only way to do it :smashin:

8. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks guys, it's all a little hypothetical at the moment as I need to purchase the screen first anyway, it's a must in my room so has to be the first update. I fully appreciate the fact that things should be demo'd and have no problem with doing that just trying to carry out a little due diligence first ! Funnily enough though I've just been playing around with the projector central throw calculator and for my screen size and distance it actually rates the jvc slightly higher in fl, approx 24fl versus 21fl for the epson I currently have. I know it's only a guideline but its intrigued me.