JVC X3/X7/X9 Owners Thread - Part 2

Does anybody know when i set the hdmi to normal i get realy good blacks,

But when i do a test pattern for contrast its realy washed out.

Does any body know how to get this right in normal mode(hdmi)

Does anybody know when i set the hdmi to normal i get realy good blacks,

But when i do a test pattern for contrast its realy washed out.

Does any body know how to get this right in normal mode(hdmi)

To adjust black levels you should put the pattern for brightness (assuming your using the AVS HD disc, which is recommended).

Pattern for contrast is for white levels. You can't adjust the black level with the contrast pattern, so it's normal if it looks washed out.

In HDMI normal (recommended setting), if your source is in normal as well, settings for brightness and contrast should be very close to 0, if no at 0.

It is better to use the dark/bright adjustment I already mentioned if your blacks are crushed, as the brightness control is too coarse and usually at +1 it will raise your black level.

To adjust black levels you should put the pattern for brightness (assuming your using the AVS HD disc, which is recommended).

Pattern for contrast is for white levels. You can't adjust the black level with the contrast pattern, so it's normal if it looks washed out.

In HDMI normal (recommended setting), if your source is in normal as well, settings for brightness and contrast should be very close to 0, if no at 0.

It is better to use the dark/bright adjustment I already mentioned if your blacks are crushed, as the brightness control is too coarse and usually at +1 it will raise your black level.

Man thanx for your reply,

I got it,with my panasonic bdt310 blurayplayer i needed to turn down the contrast. about -4

And indeed on the projector very close to 0.

What a great picture does de x3 have:)

I came from the epson tw5000 with also had a great picture.

But this projector is slightly better:)

And i have the 3d now,wich i love

Can someone tell me how to set the lens mechanism back to default [the way I first got it from the factory].

I want to get rid of some horizontal lens shift, its causing vertical convergence to go out. I was just messing around with lens shift I forgot how many clicks I set it at. When I sell this for next years projectors, I want to make sure I reset everything for the buyer of my projector to cause less issues.

In the service menu there are a few options...
-Lens reset
or
-Lens center >

Any suggestions if I should even do this or if this can cause issues or damage? I called JVC support and they said there is nothing that does this.

ARCAMFANBOY said:
Any suggestions if I should even do this or if this can cause issues or damage? I called JVC support and they said there is nothing that does this.

They are right.

The only way to do this is to move the lens shift all the way to the left, mark the left edge of the picture on the wall, move it all the way to the right, mark the right edge of the picture, measure the distance between the two marks, mark the middle and align the picture so that the center of the picture is aligned with the mark in the middle.

You should make sur there is no or little v-shift, as extreme v-shift limits h-shift.

You can also zoom the picture down before doing this if your room is width limited.

Can someone tell me how to set the lens mechanism back to default [the way I first got it from the factory].

I want to get rid of some horizontal lens shift, its causing vertical convergence to go out. I was just messing around with lens shift I forgot how many clicks I set it at. When I sell this for next years projectors, I want to make sure I reset everything for the buyer of my projector to cause less issues.

In the service menu there are a few options...
-Lens reset
or
-Lens center >

If you've just used normal lens shift then there's not much point in resetting it as whoever buys the projector would have to adjust it again anyway.

Also, unless you've used extremes of shift, using lens shift shouldn't cause any real change to convergence.

BTW, don't use the Lens Position Reset option in the Service Menu. It will memorise the current lens position as being the centre and will cause shift problems.

If you've just used normal lens shift then there's not much point in resetting it as whoever buys the projector would have to adjust it again anyway.

Also, unless you've used extremes of shift, using lens shift shouldn't cause any real change to convergence.

BTW, don't use the Lens Position Reset option in the Service Menu. It will memorise the current lens position as being the centre and will cause shift problems.

Thanks Manni and gary -

I used to have perfect vertical convergence, but now that I used h-shift, blue is out a bit now. Dangit all. Me and my tinkering.

Thanks Manni and gary -

I used to have perfect vertical convergence, but now that I used h-shift, blue is out a bit now. Dangit all. Me and my tinkering.

Are you sure nobody has messed with the pixel shift, either in the normal or service menu?

Are you sure nobody has messed with the pixel shift, either in the normal or service menu?

Or that convergence is not shifting a little after a warm up period?

No, pretty sure. But I did notice someone messed with my lateral shift bracket, or RPMA tweaks.

Before I spend 2 hours re centering this... Can not having the projector centered to the screen have an effect on convergence?

Reason I ask now is, now the bottom right of the screen, about 2 feet, curves down a bit...[maybe 1/2 inch or more] What adjustment would be needed, as I had this professionally centered and not sure. [I have RPMA Elite chief mount, with Lateral shift bracket]:suicide:

ARCAMFANBOY said:
Nope, my convergence barely shifts at all, even after 8 hours or so playing ps3. 3D gaming is addictive.

If there is any, it will likely happen relatively quickly, say 5-15mins after switch on, check it after it comes on and compare against later.

If there is any, it will likely happen relatively quickly, say 5-15mins after switch on, check it after it comes on and compare against later.

Hi Dorris -

Nope, no change in convergence when first switched on, compared to after 10-15 minutes.

Recently acquired a new X3 off Liam at Progressive AV, and wow what a machine. Very happy. In the midst of renovating my bedroom where it will be placed.

Quick question. I have a HTPC which hooks up via little Marantz NR1601 AV receiver. I'm basically wanting to be able to play 3D BD via the HTPC to the X3. According to the Nvidia site all of my kit should be compatible. But..

What video card works, can someone recommend one?

Do I need to use a Nvidia 3D emitter or can I still use the one that comes with the X3? This is important because I am in the middle of burying cables in the walls and ceiling at the moment!!

Many thanks all.

Recently acquired a new X3 off Liam at Progressive AV, and wow what a machine. Very happy. In the midst of renovating my bedroom where it will be placed.

Quick question. I have a HTPC which hooks up via little Marantz NR1601 AV receiver. I'm basically wanting to be able to play 3D BD via the HTPC to the X3. According to the Nvidia site all of my kit should be compatible. But..

What video card works, can someone recommend one?

Do I need to use a Nvidia 3D emitter or can I still use the one that comes with the X3? This is important because I am in the middle of burying cables in the walls and ceiling at the moment!!

Many thanks all.

I'm sorry.

I couldn't get past the bit about your X3 going in your BEDROOM! :eek::eek::eek:

lol, yeah I have Plasma in the living room. The entire front of my house is floor to ceiling glass and totally white inside so a projector only really works at night.

Been doing a lot of research today and plumped for a NVidia GT 430 half height card to go in my slimline case. Fingers crossed this will work with the JVC and the JVC glasses/emitter. All appears to be a bit hit and miss related to the Nvidia drivers.

Hello

Would it be possible for someone to clarify something regarding the X3? I have just rang sevenoaks sound and vision to arrange a demonstration of the X3 and I asked if the projector could be mounted from the ceiling slightly to the right of the centre of the screen (I have an "L" shaped lounge), The guy said no, but isn't that what "lens shift" is. Is he wrong and is there any issues with the projector not being in the exact centre of the screen? My apologies for the question but this will be my first projector and I didn't want to pay for something I couldn't use.

Thanks in advance

when you say slightly off center, how much is slightly :D

it should be fine

when you say slightly off center, how much is slightly :D

it should be fine

Thanks for responding

I'd say a foot maximum. Its a bit hard as I'm guestimating. I'm about to move into a new house and this was going to be a moving in present for myself after wanting a projector for a long time. I think I can have it centered but that would mean a smaller screen due to a reduced throw distance. If I could offset it slightly then the throw increases meaning a bigger screen :D

You should be able to mount up to nearly half a screen width to the left or right of centre of the screen.

Obviously get as near as you can to centre but as you say that is exactly what lens shift is used for.

I sometimes despair at the knowledge of these so called experts at the dealers.:rolleyes:

You should be able to mount up to nearly half a screen width to the left or right of centre of the screen.

Obviously get as near as you can to centre but as you say that is exactly what lens shift is used for.

I sometimes despair at the knowledge of these so called experts at the dealers.:rolleyes:

Just to add, that vertically the projector assumes it is level with the centre of the screen and not the top/bottom of it. So the more lateral lens shift you need, the less vertical shift is available. I seem to remember Gary or someone had a spreadsheet where you could see if you are within the shift range but I cannot find it at the moment.

Thanks for the advice. I will try and get it as close to the centre as possible but glad it has the flexibility if it can't. As I said it will be my first projector so wanted to make sure I could use it.

Also thanks JonStatt for your post. Both were really helpful

Hi Bodie

if an X3 is going to be your first pj, then your in for a right treat as they are excellent :smashin:

Hello

Would it be possible for someone to clarify something regarding the X3? I have just rang sevenoaks sound and vision to arrange a demonstration of the X3 and I asked if the projector could be mounted from the ceiling slightly to the right of the centre of the screen (I have an "L" shaped lounge), The guy said no, but isn't that what "lens shift" is. Is he wrong and is there any issues with the projector not being in the exact centre of the screen? My apologies for the question but this will be my first projector and I didn't want to pay for something I couldn't use.

Thanks in advance

You don't say where you are based, but can I suggest taking a trip to an independent/alternative store, as your SSAV store clearly don't sound very knowledgeable on the projector, so I would also wonder if it is setup as well as it could be. There are plenty of us dealers on here that can demo it, depending where you are. We are based in Surrey, whereas Al is further north i.e. Yorkshire, and then there are other based nearer the middle of the country, i.e. DavidF in Coventry. Not only will you probably get a more informative demo, but you will be helping these forums (in an indirect way).:smashin:

You don't say where you are based, but can I suggest taking a trip to an independent/alternative store, as your SSAV store clearly don't sound very knowledgeable on the projector, so I would also wonder if it is setup as well as it could be. There are plenty of us dealers on here that can demo it, depending where you are. We are based in Surrey, whereas Al is further north i.e. Yorkshire, and then there are other based nearer the middle of the country, i.e. DavidF in Coventry. Not only will you probably get a more informative demo, but you will be helping these forums (in an indirect way).:smashin:

Hello,
I'm based in kent and struggled to find a dealer that had one setup for a demo. I don't really have a lot of spare time due to parenting committments so I'm limited in the distance I can travel. From the research I've done and from reading posts on here and reviews I feel the x3 would be a great way to start my adventure in projector ownership. I've never seen a projector in action before and didn't want to blind purchase one without seeing one. Even if it's not setup to it's maximum potential, if I like it (which I'm sure I will) I will get it installed professionally to maximise it's potential in my house. Thank you for your advice though I really appreciate it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom