JVC X3/X7/X9 Owners Thread - Part 2

RasmusS

Novice Member
Hi All - hoping for a bit of help :)

I got my X9 back from Sontec yesterday (new ballast board, 450 pound). Got in mounted in the ceiling and have just powered it up for test. Picture comes up as it should, but my vertical lens-shift does not work. I can hear the motor turning, but nothing happens. Horizontal works just fine. Anyone experienced something like that? I would like Sontec to look into it, but as I come from Denmark, then the shipping part is fairly expensive - so hoping that it is something easy to fix.

RasmusS

Novice Member
Thanks - I have UPS to contact me about any failures during shipping and Sontec is up for a chat on Monday :)

GaryB

Distinguished Member
I've replied to your other thread about this. I assume you'll see it, but if not, reply is below:

If the shift isn't working after the projector has been in the hands of a courier, the most likely reason is that it's been handled roughly and stripped the cogs on the shift mechanism.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
If the shift isn't working after the projector has been in the hands of a courier, the most likely reason is that it's been handled roughly and stripped the cogs on the shift mechanism.
Do you know if there any useful way to avoid this? Other projectors I've owned have had removable foam surrounds to fit to the lens for shipping - along with an instruction to ship with the lens central. I guess the aim there is to prevent the lens weight acting like a lever on the gears at the other end.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Do you know if there any useful way to avoid this? Other projectors I've owned have had removable foam surrounds to fit to the lens for shipping - along with an instruction to ship with the lens central. I guess the aim there is to prevent the lens weight acting like a lever on the gears at the other end.
It does take a fair old whack to break the cogs on the newer models. On the assumption that couriers would keep the box the right way up, which is of course by no means guaranteed, the only thing you can do is to shift the lens down before shipping so the weight of the lens is not so high on the mech. When I was at JVC, they were also overboxed with double thickness cardboard before shipping as an additional precaution. I don't know if this is still the case.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
It does take a fair old whack to break the cogs on the newer models. On the assumption that couriers would keep the box the right way up, which is of course by no means guaranteed, the only thing you can do is to shift the lens down before shipping so the weight of the lens is not so high on the mech. When I was at JVC, they were also overboxed with double thickness cardboard before shipping as an additional precaution. I don't know if this is still the case.
Useful, thanks :). I guess many people like me typically have them shifted in exactly the opposite direction if ceiling mounted on a bracket. I'll bear it in mind if I ever have to ship it anywhere (not likely to Sontec, they're just round the corner from home).

Thorsager

Novice Member
Hi guys

Got an JVC X7 and love the quality even with out all the new 4K tech.

Looked at the specs the other day and it does has a pretty high Color bit support
My signal now is 8 bit from an Apple TV 4K
Is there any way to boost it to 10 or 12 bit?

Not nessecerely using the Apple TV

Paul D

I had the front IR problem on my X3. (in 2016)
After help from here and Gary B, i was going to attempt the fix myself. But i decided to take it to a local projector repair shop near Manchester.
They did the capacitor fix for about £90-£100 and everything has been fine since...

AV Service
0161 2220508
The Courtyard, Unit 6,
86 Worsley Rd, Eccles,
Manchester M30 8LS

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Having returned from holiday last week I switched on my X7 and the lens cover opened but no fans came on and no apparent light from the lamp when looking quickly into the lens. The green LED then turns red and I get a blinking orange light saying bulb failure. Damn!

I don't use the PJ a lot and the last bulb I got was over two years ago from Allan at IdealAV. Due to my screen size and projection distance, to get the right brightness level according to the calibration software and using a ColorMunki Display, I have to have the bulb on its high setting all the time. IIRC this bulb has been on for about 800 hours in total over two years (only watch a film once a week and the occasional F1 grand prix). Is it OK to have the bulb on "high" all the time? Have I been a bit unlucky with just 800 hours for this usage? Seems a bit low to me! (Note the original bulb lasted me for 4 years but on the standard power setting).

Stridsvognen

When these projectors was new ISF recomendet to change the bulbs every 500 hours, and to my experience thats about right. past that they get significantly dimmer, and around 700 hours it will be a pita to calibrate, and very dim.
My X7 is at around 1400 hours and the 2nd lamp is not usable anymore, not realy sure if i should buy a new lamp or trash the projector, its have lately behaved odd when turning it on and off.

A fast calculation surgest its cost me 3,5 £ pr hour of operation.

ask4me2

The original JVC X7 "PK-L2210U-E" lamp modul is rated to run 3000 hour in normal lamp mode to the point where the light output is down to 50%.

The same lamp is used in these JVC models.
JVC DLA-F110
JVC DLA-RS30
JVC DLA-RS40U
JVC DLA-RS50
JVC DLA-RS60
JVC DLA-X3
JVC DLA-X7
JVC DLA-X9
JVC DLA-RS45U
JVC DLA-X30
JVC DLA-X70
JVC DLA-X90
JVC DLA-RS55
JVC DLA-VS2100U
JVC DLA-RS65
JVC DLA-X30B

All of them shod have some of the same light drop and calibration problem if the lamp module is to blame.

There is most certainly individual variances between the life, color gamut light output etc. for projector lamps like this. The original manufactured ones is more safe to use, and not orginal ones may be temting, but may cause more troubles and expenses that you save. UHP lamp are quite brittle and sensitive for loss of cooling and to short power on/off cycles where the working temperature inside is to low when turned off etc. That may cause the lamp to short out so the projector is not able tp start it up again.

ISF may have come a cross a gamma drop in the light engine that can happend one time only in the early period on new JVC D-ILA projectors lifetime. that may be the cause of the recommendation of 500 hours.

What odd behavior do your X7 have in the on and off. cycles Stridsvognen?

pj jevnaker

Standard Member
When these projectors was new ISF recomendet to change the bulbs every 500 hours, and to my experience thats about right. past that they get significantly dimmer, and around 700 hours it will be a pita to calibrate, and very dim.
My X7 is at around 1400 hours and the 2nd lamp is not usable anymore, not realy sure if i should buy a new lamp or trash the projector, its have lately behaved odd when turning it on and off.

A fast calculation surgest its cost me 3,5 £ pr hour of operation.

I used my JVC X3 for over 12000 hours. Yes the first lamp did loose about 30-40% after 500 hours and wasnt usable after 1400 hours. The replacement lamps got better and better and the last lamp I used for over 4000 hours, and it was only a little over 30% down from new.

I bought my lamps from pricejapan when the was up and running, so the lamp cost was very cheap.

The total cost per hour for this projector was £0,20. (All costs included)

michael1189

They're all just old wives tales. It needs a component tweak or possibly replacement on the IR receiver board. If you can bring it or send it to JVC, we'll fix it for free, even out of warranty (I work for JVC UK BTW).
Hi Gary

I have a jvc x3 and the front IR isn't Working. I put the remote point blank to It to test.

It has also recently froze on the start up screen and when turning it on, it started up but the status lights were all off (instead of one being green) and it wasn't outputting any light.

The projector also started to flicker and became unresponsive, I had to unplug it. I've put it in high power mode and it's been fine for past 3 hours. Bulb was purchased from jvc UK a few months back and is on 242 hours

Can I send it in for the IR sensor to be repaired out of warranty ? I wouldn't mind knowing if there is another issue with it, if the fan is overly noisy and how much it'd be to fix any issues aside the IR.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Hi Gary

I have a jvc x3 and the front IR isn't Working. I put the remote point blank to It to test.

It has also recently froze on the start up screen and when turning it on, it started up but the status lights were all off (instead of one being green) and it wasn't outputting any light.

The projector also started to flicker and became unresponsive, I had to unplug it. I've put it in high power mode and it's been fine for past 3 hours. Bulb was purchased from jvc UK a few months back and is on 242 hours

Can I send it in for the IR sensor to be repaired out of warranty ? I wouldn't mind knowing if there is another issue with it, if the fan is overly noisy and how much it'd be to fix any issues aside the IR.

Thanks
Michael
GaryB no longer works for JVC. You may need to contact the likes of Sontec for any repairs outside of warranty.

Ellispa

Hi All, or whomever is still listening. Had my X3 for about 5 years, on a bulb that has about 1800 hours on it, which is probably long in the tooth now.

Anyways, over the last few weeks, there has been the odd flickering and whatnot that got me thinking the bulb is due a replacement (and instigate the whole do I get a new projector or a new bulb dilemma!).

Today, though, it got substantially worse. It started flashing pink every couple of seconds after about an hour of the film I was watching. Never had that before. If it was just flickering, then I would be okay with thinking that its the bulb, and its about time I replaced it. But could the pink flashing be a symptom of something else other than the bulb? Don't want to splash the cash on a new bulb if there's something else going on, basically.

So if a bulb flashes pink, could that still be a the bulb, or is likely something a lot harder and costlier to replace?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Paul

Stridsvognen

I guess there is only one way to really know.. Its likely a bulb with those hours, it could also be the balaster, my balaster died after 1400 hours

Ellispa

interesting, what kinds of things would indicate a Ballast board problem versus a bulb issue. The bit that got me was the pink flashing (the whole screen pretty much flashed pink every few seconds), which seemed like something more than just a flickering bulb - never seen it do that before, though.

Don't suppose someone has an old bulb that works that just has loads of hours on the clock that I could try out, just to see if its the bulb or something else? I will obviously pay for postage etc, if some kind soul wanted to help a fella out.:)

Many thanks for your reply, by the way, much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

iamsludge

I sometimes get a pink screen or pink flashing screen with my X3 and I usually conclude that it is an HDMI issue.

I had it the other week when I turned the projector on and the switcher was set to the AppleTV but the AppleTV was in sleep. I powered down, made sure the source input was on and not asleep, powered back on and it's been fine since.

I also had a constant pink-tinged image a while back and concluded that too was an HDMI issue after similarly powering the projector down ensuring the source device was on and powering back up.

My X3 has been fine for the past couple of weeks and I use the projector most nights, typically one movie a night.

So if it is a ballast board issue it looks like you'll be in good company soon ;)

I too would be considering a new original bulb from IdealAV if I was up at 1800 hours especially if I ever used high lamp mode like I often do for 3D but my last bulb got to 2450 hours before I installed a new one. The new lamps certainly do last.

Has your pink issue gone away?

Andy360

Standard Member
X35 owner here. I had the screen go pink on me last night and have concluded it's a HDMI issue too as the picture returned to normal after switching inputs on the av amp back and forth. The x35 and later have an updated ballast board, so pretty sure it would be HDMI related and not the ballast in the x3.

Ellispa

Happy to report that I have concluded the same thing. I tried the HDMI through an Apple TV and a Firestick, and had no issues with either. I also wasn't getting the issue through the TV, so it couldn't have been the BluRay player. The particular problem was the 10m HDMI cable I was using to connect my Yamaha Amp to the Projector was faulty (albeit only when i tried to play a Bluray - must be a bandwidth issue as I didn't get the problem when I used the AppleTV - still 1080p, but obviously a lower bitrate).

Switched out the 10m cable for a newer one, and its all up and running again.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Still thinking about a new bulb, but maybe not for a while yet. Checked it rather than guessed the hours, and its a touch over 1300hrs, not 1800. Hopefully still got a few months in it.

Thanks again for the replies!

Ellispa

Hi All
Quick question. My bulb is on 1350 hrs, and probably needs replacing. Will a new bulb improve 3D performance? Lately am getting lots of crosstalk that I hadn’t noticed before - am wondering whether a new bulb might improve that, or is the X3 just not that good at 3D?

TIA

Paul

Ellispa

Hi All

Any thoughts on the above - sorry to bump this, but the 3D performance on my X3 seems much worse than it used to be, and I would consider getting a new bulb if I thought it might improve the 3D performance. Although if anyone has any other advice on how to improve or adjust the crosstalk issues I am experiencing, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

joner7777

X35 owner here. I had the screen go pink on me last night and have concluded it's a HDMI issue too as the picture returned to normal after switching inputs on the av amp back and forth. The x35 and later have an updated ballast board, so pretty sure it would be HDMI related and not the ballast in the x3.

Had the same problem with a flickering picture and locking up so as to unplug.
Thing is ,I noticed every time it played up the light on my Harmony elite remote hub would flash red.
I seen your post here and gathered it was a breakdown of hdmi switching ,,,things !
So, I renewed hdmi lead and sync the hub again.
Also even when using xbox one and switching from games to Netflix app it would lock up.
OK for now though, bulb is on 1800 hrs so that will be next !

Stridsvognen

Guys, make sure you get the gamma corrected in these old units, they all develope a heavy gamma drop, its a very time consuming job to manually correct, but its worth it, just be carefull it will easy look worse as the adjustment points dont adjust the point you expect/ measure.

Have a X3 here that got a new ballaster and lamp, good internal cleaning, and calibration, it looks quite nice, running low lamp mode fully open iris on a 110" neutral gain screen, getting 11fl 18000:1 on off contrast and around 130:1 ansi contrast.

The X7 measures around the same, but is drifting more, so overall the X3 performs better.

joner7777

Guys, make sure you get the gamma corrected in these old units, they all develope a heavy gamma drop, its a very time consuming job to manually correct, but its worth it, just be carefull it will easy look worse as the adjustment points dont adjust the point you expect/ measure.

Have a X3 here that got a new ballaster and lamp, good internal cleaning, and calibration, it looks quite nice, running low lamp mode fully open iris on a 110" neutral gain screen, getting 11fl 18000:1 on off contrast and around 130:1 ansi contrast.

The X7 measures around the same, but is drifting more, so overall the X3 performs better.
Hi,
Is there a link or thread of how to do this on a X3 ?
My picture looks fine now at 1700 hrs , but maybe slipping slowly without me noticing.

Stridsvognen

Hi,
Is there a link or thread of how to do this on a X3 ?
My picture looks fine now at 1700 hrs , but maybe slipping slowly without me noticing.
You need a good probe and software to measure, and good calibration skils.
There is no way you can do it by eye.

Ill try make a ilustration of the gamma drop, wich makes the image look fairly washed out if not corrected.

Stridsvognen

No, ill recommend a Xrite I1Display pro, and then download HCFR, its plug and play, however might take you a few years to be good at calibrating.

And the X3-7-9 firmware is somewhat broke, so the adjustments dont align with what they are intendet to adjust.

Ill recommend to start with offset at 0 on all 3 colors, measure 1-2-3-4-5% and see how it tracks out of black, if you measure 10-20%ire and adjust offset from that you will competly mess up your low level performance.

Trending threads

Latest news

Disney+ hits 10 million subscribers after first 24 hours
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp unveils 30-inch rollable OLED TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
ATC launches C1 Sub Mk2 active subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards