1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC WFT1 28" Tuner Problems?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JohnnyPanix, Apr 2, 2002.

1. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

Well after much deliberation and advice from this forum i bought a 28" JVC WFT1, and on the whole I was happy with it. BUT, something disturbing is happening.

When watching the set for a while (and I only have noticed this on analogue TV signals so far as the only other source i have is a vcr through the scart untill my dvd player comes in a few weeks), strange horizontal lines appear. They look as if they are almost VHS/Tape like streaks of disturbance. They are very intermittent and I am wondering if it is simply intereference in out TV reception, or if there is a problem with the TV after the tuner point. Tonight I'll watch TV through my VCR on the scart and see if the problem persists. If it does, then I'll have to wait and see if it happens with a DVD (as maybe it is a general interference problem unrelated to the tv), but if not, the TV goes back, as they are unacceptable. If it doesn't happen then I have to asume that the Tuner in the TV is inferior to the one in the ultra budget Matsui VCR! So I guess it will still have to go back. One thing though it seems to be happening far more on BBC1!? I never noticed these issues on my old 14" Bush TV though. Has anyone else seen these problems?

Attached is a JPEG mock up of the look of the interference, in case that helps anyone.

I am also worried now that when i come to playing my DVDs (R1 and R2) that I'm gonna see other problems too, as just recently on these boards everyone is NOW saying that there is a problem there too. It's a bit irritating because everyone here told me that the only two significant issues are poor geometry (correctable to a large degree in the service menu), and poor audio out of the phono outputs.

Anyone chime in on any of these points? 32" and 28" WFT1 owners?

Attached Files:

2. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive got a 28 WFT1 and am happy with it - geometry can be changed to a certain degree and IMO is OK - the problem in you JPG I have never seen - TV tuner pics are fine (grainy compared to SKY) but thats it! - Ive not seen any of the DVD problems that are mentioned elsewhere in forums.

3. Alan Philp

Alan Philp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought one of these from Empire Direct so I can let you know if I have similar problems tomorrow… although I have heard they aren’t the best at getting orders/deliveries right so it may be a little longer :)

Andrew, are you using the user tilt option or the geometry settings within the service menu options? My pet hate is bad geometry. Could you also tell me what the DVD problems are?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Interesting pic but I don't have problems like that. Yours must be a Friday afternoon jobby.

5. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Alan,

I use both service menu & tilt - I only noticed a very minor prob with the pic being slightly tilted a few days ago so I changed with the tilt from the main menu - I must say though that it must have only been out by about 1mm but thought "hey the options there so use it"

DVD probs some people have noted were mainly moire or dotty patterns at the far screen edge with NTSC discs & some flickering at the top or bottom. I must say Ive never had these problems though.

6. Alan Philp

Alan Philp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Andrew [​IMG]

I’m not sure if I would even notice a 1mm discrepancy, but it’s good to know that there are likeminded people here who see these problems as errors instead of service engineers who tell me “it’s not a fault… it’s just like that” ;) :D

I just had a call from Amtrak telling me they would be delivering at 11:00h so maybe Empire Direct aren’t that bad.

/me awaits delivery of box of JVC spare parts :D

7. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Alan,

I know its small ! Ive had the TV for about 5 months & not noticed anything before - the sky overlay looked spot on to me, I saw the tilt when watching a 2:35 DVD so tilited it back, once I see a problem I keep looking for it all the time - I wish I could ignore these things !

8. Alan Philp

Alan Philp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received the set on time and everything seems fine. I have had it running for several hours [analogue channel] and I haven’t noticed any horizontal lines. When I first fired it up and switched through the zoom modes I noticed some cable channels gave a jagged and flickering edge [on the right hand side] but I went into the service menu and fixed the horizontal centre and it has completely removed it.

The final thing I would like to sort is another slight geometry problem. I have attached an exaggerated image of the problem. I can’t find the right option within the user or service settings… trapezoid, pincushion and tilt etc. aren’t sorting it.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

9. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get these interference lines when watching analogue TV and find that they tend to occur on almost every bit of text on screen making subs unreadable. The problem is only there with analogue tv and not DVD. I also have none of the lines or dots at the edge of the screen. I have the JVC AV32WFT1.

However my set is currently being repiared after I noticed some servere image persistence causing massive amounts of ghosting and streaking.

10. JohnnyPanix

JohnnyPanix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the strange lines of disturbance seem alomst a bit like the kind of interference that a mobile phone can somtimes cause. Also they seem to appear with shocking regularity on the new BBC1 logo. Almost as if it is the harsh contrast between bright white and deep red on the logo that triggers it.

It is also often accompanied by small pin point white dots that flash briefly across the screen. That alone and I would think it just poor reception, as we live in a basement flat and the aerial is IN the roof and piped down through all 4 floors into the fifth floor, our basement.

I still have yet to see it on a Playstation game (through scart), or when i watched a dvd played from an ibook the other day. Soon will be getting dvd player, so will be able to know more then, but thus far it looks like a tuner problem, now i have to work out if it is simply a reception problem, or a problem with the actual tuner itself.

Will attempt to use my VCR through scart to watch Analogue tv and see if it happens there.