JVC VCR records well but colour washed out!

JRKILLOCH

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Flat Screen TV with integral Freeview . I also have connected a second FV box so I can record digital channels and watch other digital channels. It is connected as per connection guru websites recommendations.

When I record either analogue or digital programs, the colours are washed out almost completely and have to be turned up. Of course when I come out of that mode and back to regular broadcasts the colours are very strong and have to be tuned down.

I also notice that when I watch a digital channel via the separate 'stand alone' FV box, the colours are similarly washed out and have to be tuned up. The actual picture fidelity in both situations is excellent.

I have gold scarts for all connections.

Any ideas please?

Hello

Just a quick question before giving a possible answer. Is your video recorder a S-VHS model or "normal" VHS?

If anything a model number of the recorder may help answer this question.

JVC HR S6975EK

According to Instruction Book: Super VHS (S-VHS)
S-VHS ET and VHS

Classic symptoms of mismatched CVBS & SVideo signals, though most often you get B&W and no colour. Simplest solution is switching everything to SVHS, the highest quality format the VCR can record.

If you want to use RGB or component from the 2nd freeview tuner remember you cannot feed RGB to a VCR for recording, you'll need separate leads to TV and VCR - many boxes have a dedicate VCR output that only supports CVBS and SVideo for this. You'll also have problems running RGB through the VCR passthru, RGB and SVideo can't be mixed on a SCART.

I have read your comments several times. The final para' is a bit beyond me but I would guess that the connection plan would be similarly beyond me and perhaps I will have to settle for a second class ride, as they say - better than a first class walk!

Thank you for your expertise.

I have read your comments several times. The final para' is a bit beyond me but I would guess that the connection plan would be similarly beyond me and perhaps I will have to settle for a second class ride, as they say - better than a first class walk!

Thank you for your expertise.

In your very first post you said that your TV has integral Freeview. In that case I assume that your second Freeview tuner is used only for your VCR - so the paragraph you are having difficulty with is of no real relevance to your set-up.

The wiring's pretty simple and I'm not rushing for the pub this time...

1: set your VCR in&out,TV in,FV out to SVideo, wire FV->VCR(2),VCR(1)->TV. Should be able to view and record in full colour. (1,2 are the socket numbers)

2: if your FV box has 2 SCARTS and you want to watch the external box directly in the highest quality (a bit pointless with built in FV :) of course ), wire as above using the FV output labelled VCR, connect a second cable from FV tv out->TV, set those to RGB. With your use I'd not bother and it might not work with all boxes anyway!

The one thing you can't do is send RGB into the VCR for recording, so don't try.

I am sure with your help so far I will get a result.

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom