1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC VA-NA77 Pal progressive.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timh, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    There are two new progressive players from JVC, the VA-NA77 and the XV-NA7
    Specs look promising with Ram playback.
    VA-NA77 £155 at unbeatable
    XV-NA7 £233 at unbeatable
    I cannot see much of a differance in specs for the price differance :confused:
    DMR1 pal prog recorder for £342 at unbeatable

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    VA-NA multi-region from here

3. serdar13

serdar13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found a review which gives the NA7 a thumbs up but no mention of pal progressive scan, only ntsc.

click

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks to me like the XV-NA7 is last years model reviewed in January. As Pal PS is only recently been approved is likely not to have it except the slim chance that it can be hacked or a recent firmware upgrade.

The VA-NA77 is a very new model and is definitely pal ps and, although it is cheaper, it seems to have a higher spec - like 12bit 108Mhz video dac which the preview says is "dramatically updated".

I think the latter is definitely the one to go for unless a recorder is on the cards, then the DR-M1 is the one.

Cheers,
    Cal.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Yes... it looks like the Na7 is the old model, as it only mentions ntsc progressive on JVC's site.
    The Na-77 and DMR1 sound like promising products, but are JVC just blowing thier own whistle with these great sounding specs, the truth will be in the pudding :) I guess we will not know untill we see one for our selves. I am temted to go for the DMR1, even if the prog scan is pants I would still have a ram recorder.

I have tested the following in pal prog and all were pants.

Lecson dvd-1000
    Compacks 5000
    Yamaha dvd-s540
    ProV via VGA.

6. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've reread the jvc spec page and I'm a bit worried it only states 2:2 pulldown whereas there is no mention of "motion adaptive", "per pixel processing" or "diagonal interpolation". Not even "video mode" and "film mode".

Are these inexpensive players boasting about Pal ps but only really do a basic weave in a sort of film mode? It could explain why the ones Timh tested were not up to scratch.

Cheers,
    Cal.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I guess now most Jap Manufacturers use China and other Asian countrys to keep the price low, they must be saving money by using cheap de-interlacer boards.
    The progressive shootout in the states gave the older Panasonic players the best score for de-interlacing including 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown, but the newer players don't fair so good as they must be using cheaper of the shelf boards.
    The worse I have seen was from a Lecson dvd-1000 which used a Ndsp de-interlacer, my projector suffered really bad pixel blead in progressive scan.
    Toshiba are next out, with the SD-530, maybe that will be a good one, it also offers 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown.
    Arcam would probably be a safer bet for quality prog scan but they don't offer a recorder yet.
    I read some where that Pioneer are releasing a progressive scan recorder- HD combi, could be a good one, but at a price.