JVC THSW9 - Wireless rear speaker system

Darren Batty

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this wireless JVC system, it looks a decent system with 600W RMS, progressive scan, 4 x tall speakers with 2 x wireless rear speakers (these are a must due to 'her indoors' constantly changing the room layout !!!) all for £350ish. I'm a bit worried about interference issues and need to ensure that it will be ok to integrate into a Plasma & Sky setup in the future (next on my shopping list). Any info would be appreciated.

Took the plunge and bought the THSW9 this weekend, this was following a review in the 'What Home Cinema' magazine that gave the wired (THS9) system 94% on their assessement.

Setup was easy, the looks, picture and sound quality are all excellent. With test DVD's of Return of the King and Matrix Revolutions, the clarity of picture and sound quality were first class. The volume settings extend to 60, however, a setting of at least 40 is required before the full affect of the subwoofer is appreciated (room size 5m x 6m).

The wireless rear speakers are FM which has led to no problems in 'blocking' from furniture or people and I have had no problems with interference.

Hope that this little review helps, at £350 this is a excellent system .... all I need now is a decent Plasma to replace my dated TV !

Hi Darren,

Now, this may sound really dumb, but I too have recently got the TH-SW9, and was wondering if you could help me out with a really stupid question.

The TH-SW9 has wireless rear speakers. How are they connected ??

Do they have to be plugged into the Wireless receiver unit ? Or, do the speaker wires go from the subwoofer to the wireless receiver unit which then transmits the signal to the speakers. If the speakers have to be wired to the Wireless transmittor, they are not really wireless are they ?

If you could help, I would be gratefull. Sorry to sound so think, but I am new to this.

Cheers

Del

Del,

The connections are as follows

The speaker wires for the rear speakers plug into the small transmitter unit, the transmitter unit then send a signal (via FM) to the Subwoofer (wireless section).

What is confusing you is that on the back of the subwoofer there are connection ports for the rear speakers ...... these are only used if you do not wish to have a wireless setup.

The 'wireless' part of the system is the fact that a wire is not required from the subwoofer to the rear speakers (which generally involves routing around rooms !), but you are right in that a connection is still required from the transmitter unit to the rear speakers. If you are like me, I have mine set up with the transmitter box at the side of the sofa and the speakers either side with the speaker wires run under the sofa to hide them !.

Hope this helps

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought as much, but unfortunately, the way my room is set up I have had to wire the speakers into the subwoofer which is a shame.

What I also found strange was that the wired version (TH-S9) has a multimedia card slot for SD Cards, but the TH-SW9 doesn't ! I'm not quite sure why though ? I Wonder if there are any other little differences :confused:

Anyway, I am very please with the TH-SW9, and I am sure that if I move, or re-arrange the room, the 'sort of wireless' part will become usefull

Thanks again

Del

Does this this system have a digital optical imput so I can connect up my sky plus system to it?
Regards
Robert

Rob,

This system does have an optical digital input at the trear of the unit, I have my Sky connect via scart and the 'TV Sound' option plays sound via the cinema system, sound only comes out of the side two speakers but the quality is alot better than thetv especially on the music channels

Have recently purchased this system. Sound and picture quality is very good. Is there any multi-region hack for this system?

I'm also after a multi-region hack for the SW9...it might even be the same as used for the SW8, if one exists that is. I know that www.dvdcodes.net do one for the the SW8 via a modified remote control which you can rent.

krupatel said:
I'm also after a multi-region hack for the SW9...it might even be the same as used for the SW8, if one exists that is. I know that www.dvdcodes.net do one for the the SW8 via a modified remote control which you can rent.

I can't actually see the link for the SW8 ...can you tell me how you got there?

Actually it's for the TH-S9 - which can't be that different can it?

http://www.dvdcodes.net/JVC/JVC1-9.htm

I emailed them and asked if they had a tool for the SW9. Their response wasn't that great "we haven't tried it with the SW9, if we can be of more assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us"....

Also, need some help on the set-up front. I can't seem to get the rear wireless to work.

Should they work as soon as they are connected to the transmitter (tried each of the four settings and on DVD, FM)?

Or is it because my sub is behind my panel and the transmitter is under the sofa ala Darren therefore the signal is being blocked?

Or do they only begin to work through some menu/set-up processes?

Or none of the above.

The manual does seem confusing. I can't even get into the s.set-up where you do the 'clap' thing above your head!!!

Well confused....need a dummies guide, me thinks!

Hi,
First , and this sounds daft ,ensure your surround mode (<surr> button on remote)is set to 'Auto-surround' and not 2 channel sound.....the legends on the front of the DVD player show what speakers are in operation. ensure you have channel '1' selected at rear of rear surround receiver ...if it don't work try channel 4 to eliminate the 'interference ' theory

assuming your connections are good try placing receiver in 'line-of-sight' of the DVD player (that's where the FM signal is coming from...i think?) although this should matter too much.

lastly go into sound set-up via menus and there is a facility to check each speaker with a test tone......you should know by then if something is amiss

Hi,

Anyone try this system with the rear speakers connected directly to subwoofer? Is sound better than wireless method? I understand it's 80w wired direct and 50w wirefree.

W

W

Not tried that one but if you don't need the wireless version buy the THS9 system which is the same spec, without the wireless, and a bit cheaper too !

Darren

Guys,

Finally got my rearless speakers working (wiring issue)...

Connected my PS2 to the centre unit via an optical lead, but no audio coming through when switched to the Aux Digital source channel.

The PS2 is connected to my plasmas via an RGB scart and is spending the sound to its speakers.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kru

Unlock sw9 using tool...

Solderless upgrade for JVC players.

This External Tool ( Plugs into the Compulink Socket) will convert one player only. Orders will be taken via credit or debit card at the price of £20.00 + VAT ( £23.50 ) including worldwide shipping. You should return the tool within 30 days of your order otherwise you will be charged a further £50.00 + VAT ( £58.75 ) to your card.

See:

http://www.shoyle.f9.co.uk/dvdchipsuk/JVC_Tool.pdf

krupatel said:
Guys,

Finally got my rearless speakers working (wiring issue)...

Hey Kru, tell me more about these 'rearless' speakers. ;) Sounds like something my missus would like. In fact, she'd prefer my speakers to be frontless, rearless and subless! :(

I ordered this system this week as my wife also moans about the wires...everywhere :rolleyes:
Today got an e-mail from them saying they were out of stock and JVC are not sending anymore into the UK.Anyone else heard this or have any ideas of an alternative system similiar to this.

thanks
:thumbsup:

Judders said:
Hey Kru, tell me more about these 'rearless' speakers. ;) Sounds like something my missus would like. In fact, she'd prefer my speakers to be frontless, rearless and subless! :(

My missus wishes they were rearless too! Actually meant WIRELESS. Although pioneer do a rearless model - DCS-424"unique 3-spot Front Surround home cinema systems" about £350 as do KEF (KIT1000) big bucks.

These systems bounce the sound off walls in produce a psuedo surround sound. Sort of works apparently, but nowhere as good as have wired/wireless rear speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom