JVC THA-5R home cinema problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davidgirecourt, Apr 22, 2002.

1. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my new TH-A5R cinema system.

It will not switch to "Dolby Digital". If the DVD only offers "Dolby Digital" it will stay on "PCM" Mode and the only thing I can do is manually switch it to "Dolby Prologic" but not "Dolby Digital".

Nevertheless If I watch a DVD for wich you can select "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" I can select "Dolby Digital" from the DVD menu if I wish to and the player will accept it.

A DVD like X-Men will switch to "Dolby Digital" automatically but for a few seconds (During FBI warning UK&Ireland) and go back to "PCM" (when FBI warning Australia starts).

My system is new and genuine (never been modified).

Can you help please

Regards

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Sounds like a fault to me. My TH-A5R always selects Dolby Digital first "if available". It never plays DD DVDs in PCM. My first unit kept cutting out after a few minutes of play. I discovered the rear fan wasn't working, but S&V exchanged it straight away.

Apart from your fault, how have you found it?. I bought one to put in my front room, so i didn't have to watch all film upstairs.

I paid £310 inc vat "multi region". (I have to take it back as soon as the multi region mode becomes available)

For the money, i'm amazed at the video and sound quality.
    That little sub can kick out some bass!. I assumed due to the tiny surround and center speakers that effects and speech would be poor. But i was wrong, it fits my needs perfectly.(though not as good as the sounds from my upstairs cinema room of course!)

Post back with the DVDs you have tried. If i have any of the films, i will try it and see what happens on mine etc.

3. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

Thank God I am not the only one with this machine. I was afraid of your answer though. For my first home cinema...............!

The DVDs I tried are:Gladiator, X-Men, Bridget Johns, 3 Kings, Ennemies at the Gate, Red Planet, U-571 etc.......

I have to admit that I am new in this area but appart from this problem I am very happy with this machine and you are right about the subwoofer it is goooooooooood. By the way my TV is a Hitachi C28WD2TN (Widescreen prologic 2 years old) and I've noticed that I will not have sound unless the home cinema speakers are plugged in I am doing something wrong here or would you recommend a way around that?

Cheers

David

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The way i've connected mine is:-

I use the left/right phono "out" from my TV to the "Aux" in on the JVC. The JVC then provides the prologic from all the TV inputs (Video-Sky etc) with the TVs volume right down.
    If i'm not listening to a prologic source etc and just want to watch the news for example, i leave the TVs "built in" speakers on to just give two channel stereo.

Now the good news! (about you Dolby Digital)

Turn to "DVD" on the remote. Make sure you have no DVD playing ie stop.

Press "setup" in the hidden lower part of the remote.(next to the "test" button)

You will see two options "Languages" and "System".
    Using the "right" arrow on the part next to the "enter" button on the remote. Select "System", you will see three options.
    TV screen:
    Rating level:
    Digital output:

These should be set as follows.

TV screen = 16.9.
    Rating level = off if you don't want it to censor your films

Now the important bit!!!

Digital output = BITSTREAM !........NOT LPCM.

To change these setting use the cursor arrows etc.

The option for digital output should not be an option as the unit doesn't output to anything else!.

You should now have glorious Dolby Digital (and DTS) as default on all DD/DTS discs. If not then you have a duff unit!

Ps i tried U-571 and Gladiator and they both played Dolby Digital without being "able" to select prologic etc.

Good luck and let me know how you got on!

Paul

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Just wondering how you got on? (and bumping the post in case you missed it!)

6. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul

I was out of the office yesterday therefore no reply. I've already changed my DVD player therefore it is to late to check your idea. Nevertheless I will try it with the new one (which is working correctly).

David

7. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    What is the JVC THA-5R like for CD music play back? I want to buy a system similar to this to play and listen to DVDs on my WS TV and play CDs as a Hi-Fi replacement.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

8. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Electrolyte

To be honest I haven't tried it yet with a CD but I would not question the quality. After all a CD player is a CD player. JVC also does excellent HI-FI systems and personnaly I could not make the difference between a CD from a HI-FI and one played by a DVD (except for the speakers).

My only regret is that you do not have an on-screen menu for things like volume or changing the volume for each speakers. It appears on the machine screen but I probably moan because I wear glasses and it is not very big.

For the rest this is a great system which I rate very high.

Good luck

You can buy it multi region there: http://www.techtronics.com

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well i got a phone call from George from Sound & Vision(Bolton) yesterday.
    He informed me the multi region mod was now available, and i could call in at any time to have it done.
    I took mine in this morning and they did it while i waited.
    I checked it when i got home and it played my R1(Including RCE!) automatically with no problems.

10. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You were right for your "setup" idea. My manual says "Not available for this model" but it is and it works. If I have had your email a day earlier I would not have had to change it.