1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC THA 35, Toshiba SD43HK What next? DAVS 550?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by County, Jan 7, 2004.

1. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From earlier threads you may have seen my problems with the JVC, white noise through speakers with all unctions. Swapped for the Toshiba but have fan noise. Should it be so dominant that I can hear when watching at low volumes?

The system also has really muffled speech at times despite all best dsp tweaking I can't get round this. Meaning if you want to here some TV programs you have to have the system up quite loud and then get blasted when the sub kicks in for music or sound effects!

Phoned Richer Sounds up to see what they could suggest, I was interested in giving the Sony DAVS 550 a go. The store suggested that this was a backward step from the Toshiba, does anyone agree? Does the Sony have fan noise problems? Am getting a bit fed up with trying these units! Does anyone else have suggestions?

2. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the Sony is practically silent, the fan is very very quiet. I mean very very very queit. if you read the threads on hre about the S550 you'll find my views on it. Great for smaller rooms and picture quality fine on small TV's. Backwards step? Thats arguable, i'm not familar with Toshiba equipment. You'll have to let someone else have that opinion!

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Sound like a crock o' s*** to me the sony system is very good indeed. And more than capable of a strong performance. I think it plays sacd's too (as a bonus). They probably dont have them in stock, hence flogging you off. But i would take you system back as what you have is Totally unacceptable.

ch

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Whats your budget mate? Panny SCHT500 and 900 systems are superb and th 900 at £350 is stonking!

5. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget is £300 max. Panasonic 500 was a consideration but it does not have PLII. Am also not sure about the front speakers with the mini stands. All I really want is a quite life! No white noise and no fan noise!

6. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought the jvc aha 35 from richer sounds and had the fan noise even at low volumes . It just ruins any atmosphere in quiet bits in the film when it fires up, and was unacceptable.

Look at the panasonic 500 but it had no pro logic 2, looked at the pioneer but it is huge and ugly. Looked at samsung 150 but have heard stories of fan noise too. I then went in the sony shop and looked at the sc30 and the sales guy said they didnt even have any fans but the richer sounds say unless the units are deep like full av amps they will have a fan. I like the sony but dont want to buy it, then find it has a problem so i have to take it back again, hassle.

Any one got a an sc30

7. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Just a pointer.

The DAVS-550 also outputs a component signal, if your TV can accept it.

:smashin:

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to be of no direct help, County, but have you considered waiting until your budget has increased and taking the separates route?

I write as someone low on funds and an all-in-one owner (Pioneer DCS-303) and have to state the obvious that an all-in-one is about compromise. I have accepted the compromises (like it or not! :laugh: ) and enjoy what this great little bundle of electronic trickery can do; but are you able to?

Or perhaps it's a matter of giving yourself the time to become accustomed to the audio and 'failings' of a given system? On buying the Pioneer, there were aspects of the sound and the system that I immediately drew my attention and still can - if I choose to. For instance, the very, very, very quiet fan can be heard at even reasonably loud volumes (I seem to latch onto this kind of thing! :thumbsdow ) i.e. just before ear-splitting/wall-crumbling; but it can be forgotten about, given an absorbing film or game. Failing that, take my (separates-owning) friend's advice...

Turn it up! :clap:

Oh, in my opinion, the fan comment makes some sense (as it is squeezing a lot into a small box), but the 'backward step' comment gives the impression of leading you in the direction of what the branch can sell. Please note, that I'm not speaking from experience of either Richer Sounds or your all-in-one options - merely how the words appear.

9. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In another effort to be constructive, is DPLII an absolute requirement?

Whilst I like it on the Pioneer (for most sources, in fact), perhaps it would be worthwhile returning to the well-considered, DPL-only alternatives?

If you haven't done so already, a search for the models listed above should return some very favourable comment regarding their capabilities. If you're largely a viewer of DVDs, perhaps the lack of Pro-logic II isn't such a great loss?

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck! :smashin:

10. County

County

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments. I know you could say what do you expect? But I thought for the money I would get a reasonable player that wouldn't annoy me.

I am afraid the fan noise does annoy.

Will be watching TV quite a lot through it Sport etc so DPII is quite important to me.

I think I am going to settle for a Sony of some description as no one seems to comment on their fans. It also sounds like you may have more control over the sub and satellites.

I think I will try for the 550 if I can find it a local Richer. But may have to go for the SC30 or even the SC5 if not at some other store if I can get a full refund.

11. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't rate the Toshiba at all but the JVC THA-35R is a good little system. Fan noise seems to vary from one to another and whose to say that a fan that starts off quiet won't eventually get noiser when it gets a bit of dust in there.

It does seem to me though that some of the better systems like the DCS303 and HTDM150 have been replaced by inferior models in their respective ranges.

The JVC THA-75R is an excellent 6.1 all in one that has sold as low as £340. Definitely worth considering if you can find one.