JVC TH-SW8 problem with subwoofer - looking for some help please.

dixon1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've posted this on another thread as well but not sure If i got the correct forum or not so thought i'd list it here as well.

I have a JVC TH-SW8 Home cinema system at home in my bedroom that i've had for a number of years. I have an optical input into this to enable me to get 5.1 from my Xbox 360.

Yesterday I turned on the main unit which then powers up the sub-woofer (all speakers are connected to the subwoofer). The subwoofer turned on then after a couple of seconds there was a loud noise and it turned off. I turned the main unit off and back on and exactly the same thing happened again.

I don't know where to go from here. The main unit works fine still as the picture still came on the TV but I get no sound at all because the sub-woofer turns itself off. All of the speakers will still work fine I presume (except the SW). All of the speakers are wired around the room under carpets, through walls, through cupboards etc.. so it will be too much fuss to take all of these out.

I see myself having two options if i want to keep my speakers...:

1) repair the subwoofer - has anyone else had this problem? any guesses on the likely cause?

2) replace the main unit with one that allows me to connect my current speakers directly into it.... Is this possible? If so can anyone recommend a cheap model that I could buy?

If anyone can offer any advice on my problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Could anyone help with this please?
I need sound!! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I can't help. But the exact same problem has just arisen with my unit. Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks
KP

Unfortunately not.
I've ran a Red White cable out the headphone port on the front of the unit into a old CD player I had and connected the 2 front speakers to the CD player.

Can't afford a new unit yet so it will have to do for the time being.

It seems like it may be a common fault with this model if you have experienced the same thing.
If you find a solution let me know :)

Curiouser and curiouser...

I have the same problem -- the subwoofer would cut out 1 or 2 seconds after being turned on. I was convinced the problem was probably related to a semiconductor burnout -- it was shutting itself off to protect the rest of the circuitry. Being an EE and a former electronic tech, I of course took it apart to look for the burned out transistor. I checked the diodes in the power supply -- they were fine. But the audio amps are two large IC's. Not easy to test, nor replace.

I did find that the parts are available, but were pretty expensive.

So I checked on ebay, and found a replacement (just the powered woofer). New, in box, in theory!.

But it has the same problem! Well, not exactly. Sometimes it works OK, sometimes quits immediately, and sometimes quits after a while.

Next, I put the old one back together. Now it works fine! At least so far.

So this appears to not be a hard failure.

Stay tuned

Hi

I've got the same issue with mine - happened a couple of months ago and unsure as to what the problem is. The wireless rear speakers are fine, but none of the front speakers work. The Sub still has the green light on but after the loud noise, nothing comes out of anything.

Hi :hiya:
Maybe your best option is to all contact JVC directly
Stating the problem you are having with that particular model
State Model and problem question to mailto:[email protected]
BigCam
Doh!! just realised that previous posts are old :facepalm:
Anyways LanceShaw if you do contact JVC post back if you get any solutions to fix the problem
A friend of mine has the same model but it still working OK so it would be handy to have the info if it goes the same way
BigCam

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom