JVC TH-SW8 problem with sub-woofer, where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dixon1983, Jan 15, 2008.

1. dixon1983

dixon1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I have a JVC TH-SW8 Home cinema system at home in my bedroom that i've had for a number of years. I have an optical input into this to enable me to get 5.1 from my Xbox 360.

Yesterday I turned on the main unit which then powers up the sub-woofer (all speakers are connected to the subwoofer). The subwoofer turned on then after a couple of seconds there was a loud noise and it turned off. I turned the main unit off and back on and exactly the same thing happened again.

I don't know where to go from here. The main unit works fine still as the picture still came on the TV but I get no sound at all because the sub-woofer turns itself off. All of the speakers will still work fine I presume (except the SW). All of the speakers are wired around the room under carpets, through walls, through cupboards etc.. so it will be too much fuss to take all of these out.

I see myself having two options if i want to keep my speakers...:

1) repair the subwoofer - has anyone else had this problem? any guesses on the likely cause?

2) replace the main unit with one that allows me to connect my current speakers directly into it.... Is this possible? If so can anyone recommend a cheap model that I could buy?

If anyone can offer any advice on my problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. davidmoly

davidmoly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey , just read about you prob, mine does the same allmost ,but doesn,t power off ,the green light stays on on the sw . i have a wireless connection so i can get sound thru the surround speakers but nothing thru the left /right and centre speakers, so i think the probs with the sw,
    did you resolve yours on what to do
    please help,
    wifes banging on about it
    :rolleyes: