1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC TH-SW8 help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bob1, Feb 16, 2005.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello someone at work as just bought a JVC TH-SW8 system, could someone please tell me how to set it up so i can tell him ,he's a bit stuck.

2. gordy

gordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Bob

Just got one of these last week and it's fairly idiot proof - trust me, it would have to be for me!

Out of the box, the DVD/receiver has only two connections before you start plugging in TV, Sky etc - one to the power, the other a long black cable to the sub, which is supplied.
    The sub also requires power. After that, the front three speakers all then plug into the sub, and the ports are really clearly marked - and just to make it especially dummy-friendly, they even put wee tags on the speaker cables saying "front right" front left and centre - all colour coded too i think.

The rear bit is where you find out that the "wireless" is a bit of a misnomer. In the box you'll find an FM receiver box. Plug it in, flip the aeriel up, and toggle to the switch on the back to channel 1 (I think!). Then your two rear speakers have to be wired into the back of the receiver. Again the cables and ports are clearly marked.

Then plug in what you need to, switch on and off you go. I must admit I haven't really had much of a play with mine yet. I was initially a bit disappointed with the sound but then again I;ve only watched a couple of West Wings and I'm watching it through a temporary TV at the moment because my plasma gets delivered on Sunday! yahoo!

After that i plan to connect the th-sw8 to the screen via component, and SKy+ to the screen via scart, and SKY+ to the sound system via its optical input.

I'm not in the house at the mo, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to shout them up and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm a rookie at all this stuff as well, so bear with me!

Cheers
    Gordy

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks for the info gordy , i have read his manual and told him how to set it all up and he his really pleased with it.

4. Ches_seasider

Ches_seasider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and as the most un-technical person on this planet (after my wife :oops: ), I had no problems at all with it.

I've got it connected up as Gordy above with the optical cable etc to Sky+ and its great. I've just set the back speakers slightly louder than the front as there is a small drop when in wireless config.

The only problem I had was a loud whinig coming out of the FM receiver when it was first switched on, but I shifted the phone and it seems to work fine now. Also, the FM receiver flicks itself on and off when the DVD is on standby but I put that down to erroneous signals and just turn it on when I want to use it.

All in all, top bit of gear ..... :clap: :clap: