1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC TH-SW8 am i daft or not?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Father Ted, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all......i needed an 'all in one' system for convenience/price issues , i spent a bit of time buying various mags and visiting sites like this one.
    In the end i plumped for the TH-SW8 for the reasons stated below
    1) wireless rear speakers ( our lounge floor is wooden )
    2) didn't need 'tall' speakers as we have v.small children who would use them for climbing practice :nono:
    3) spec. includes progressive scan/component outs/RGB scart/digitial optical input (for my games console) and 600 watts of output.
    4) I read Darren Batty's review of his TH-SW9 and he seems impressed
    5) I ordered it from BE direct when it was advertised for £269.99 !......post order ,the price went up to £329.99 :eek:

.....the purpose of this post?....can any of you re-assure me that i haven't made a 'duffer's' choice ???? .....i couldn't find a review ANYWHERE for this unit so it was a bit of a 'leap of faith'

thanks in advance for any replies given

Father Ted ,Craggy Island
    p.s. unit to arrive this week.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: ....just received my system and fired it up for the first time......fantastic!.....fills the room with sound, rear wireless omni directional surround speakers work very well !......Sub-woofer is more than capable in my living room......tested system using 'Band of Brothers disc 2 ' ....brilliant reproduction at all levels .......DTS tested using R2 Planet of the Apes DVD , :clap: ......also tried opening sequence of Attack of the Clones.....the room shook with volume at setting 35!
    Finally threw Blackhawk down into the player ,very very pleased with picture quality/colour reproduction.

connected PS2 via optical input , and tested using Burnout 3 takedown.....crashing has never sounded so good! :cool:

great buy for £269.99!

3. Darren Batty

Darren Batty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gald that you are happy with the system ... I hate recommending items just in case people are not happy with the product ... but in this case ... the package you get for the price range is excellent !

What I have found with the THSW9 is that to get the full effect you have to have it turned up to between 40 - 50 with the dB level increased by 2 is this still the case for the TSW8 ???

Only one problem I've noticed so far is the rear receiver unit which 'clicks' every so often when the DVD player is on standby.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren.....the only time my receiver 'clicks' is when the receiver actually goes into standby mode i.e. about 10 mins from DVD turn off (receiver light goes from Blue to red)....is it because your unit is 'cooling'? as they do get warm....just a thought.....regards set-up,the only adjustment i've made is to raise rear speakers by 1db to offset the 'loss' in the wireless set up (according to the specs the output capabilities are lower with wireless function)........if i tried the sub at volume above 35 it would probably blow the snot out of me nose :laugh: ....it's plenty effective at this volume,like i said before the opening spaceship scene of battle of the clones got the sub 'exercised' :smashin:

5. krupatel

krupatel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reading Darren's review galvanised by decision to also buy the SW9. Unpacked and set it up with my Panny Th42PE30B last night...however the remote control is missing and can't fire it up (how annoying!!!). Will let you know my thoughts as soon as JVC get around to sending me one.

Also I went for a Bandridge PGV-332 component lead, so will be interested to see and hear how much of an improvement there is compared to a scart.

Kru

6. Father Ted

Father Ted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What a bummer!.....nothing worse than an itch you can't scratch!

sounds silly ,i know, but is it still wedged in the packing foam like mune was? :blush:

7. krupatel

krupatel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    errmmm...feel like a muppet now...yep it was! :blush:

Thanks.

8. Madkitty

Madkitty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok so what am I doing wrong then - my volume is on 40 and yeah its load but not overly. Have tried changing the s/w and left/right sound levels...what has everyone changed theirs too? why doesnt mine blow me socks off at 35 :confused: