1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Th-r3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Cupra R, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone got/had any experience with this setup and if so is it any good??

Just phoned Digital Direct up as was thinking of buying a Panasonic SC-HT45R but was told these are no longer available (I thought these were a new product?) and was offered this as a suitable/comparable replacement..

Any views much appreciated.

The JVC in question can be found here.

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=8033

Thanks in advance

2. fullforward

fullforward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchases a JVC THS 55. Its the same as the THR1 except it has no DVD recorder. The THR3 is the same as the THR1 except you get speaker stands and slightly different speakers.

I must say the picture is excellent with progressive scan. Im using it with an Epson LCD projector. The sound is very good for the money (€350). There is a feature called smart setup where you clap your hands over your head to optimise speaker settings. It works very well. All these JVC systems are new and I couldn’t find reviews anywhere.

3. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply, I'll look more into them, may even try to get to a shop that has one set-up so I can hear it first. :thumbsup:

4. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered one of these even though as you say no reveiws or anything, so I'll have to cross my fingers and hope I like it. :thumbsup:

5. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've just bought one (THR3). The picture quality is excellent and the sound is very good. Heres a mini review-
    Out Of 10-

Picture through RGB- 8
    Sound- 7 (could be better)
    Ease of Use- 10
    Looks- 10
    Value for Money- 10
    Connections- 10

Overall- 9/10
    A real bargain for the money. :thumbsup:

6. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ross, glad you like it and now I don't feel as bad having ordered it not knowing more info about it...

Picture through RGB, is this Scart connection?? (newbie you see)

sound7 (could be better) in what way? what do you think it lacks?

Cheers.

7. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Cupra-R -
    The general sound could be a bit sharper (i'm being picky though this is a budget system ! ), the bass is awsome for an all in one system though !

The RGB is a scart connection. But your scart on your tv needs to be RGB to benefit. RGB gives a better picture than a standard scart connection.

Ross.

8. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ross for clearing that up for me...

Along with the JVC I am also awaiting delivery of a new TV, a Toshiba 36ZP this has component connections I beleive on the back. Which confuse's me a little more as I now am unsure of the best way to connect it all up together.

Cheers

Rich

9. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A component connection will give you a slightly better picture than RGB, but it will be only a bit better, you may or may not notice an improvement, I have my system connected at the moment with good quality tech-link scart leads which give a better picture than the standard rubbish leads they give you in the box.

10. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ross, sorry for all the questions but if I may trouble you again, If then that I would be needing better quality Scart leads, which would be the best or cheapest way of connections; Good quality scart leads or to buy component leads?

Cheers.

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Cupra R,
    I have this set since 2 weeks and I am very pleased with it.I recommend you component connection,because then you can also set the player in Progressive mode-the PQ is perfect.About the sound-well you can also improve the sounds with settings.The auto settings are good,but if you want the best of it will need to spend some time more.The sound is sharp enough (for a budget system)-you can also use extra setting and adjust the equalizer a bit etc..The quality of the records is also perfect-for this cash is a great set.

12. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Stainway, glad to hear you too are happy with this system.

Is the THR3 region 2 (I beleive it is) is it possible to make it multiregion?

OK, could you or anyone tell me the best way to connect up a Toshiba 36ZP television to a JVC THR3 All in one and also a Sky+ box for the best sound and picture quality :lease:

Thanks in advance.

Rich

13. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The THR 3 is region 2 indeed-probably there is a way to make it region free,but if I find it will post it.
    About the connections-I don't know what for inputs you have on the Toshiba 36ZP ,but probably the best it will be the THR 3 with component,the Sky box with scart (rgb) to the tv and from the Sky box scart to the THR3.The THR 3 is also with RGB input ,so if your SKY box gives you RGB out is will be great for recording.I have sat.receiver-Topfield 5000 and I use the RGB out direct to the TV and S-video to the THR3 for recording.

BTW check this url,not exactly a review but sort of: http://www.avinfo.co.uk/index.php?main=story&itemid=15026974

14. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the link, made for an interesting read. When they say multi formate recording though I always took this as +/-, but this isn't so with the JVC is it, only - disc's can be used???

Would the optical output be any good to connect from the Sky + box to the THR3?

Rich

15. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    yes only DVD R- and DVD RW- and DVD ram can be used for recording-Digital input can be used for setup box-you get both coax and optical,but I have connected my X box to the optical-the problem is that my sat. receiver has also only optical out and X box also-so I had to choose.

16. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One last question, does it really matter that much on how much you spend on cables? OK I see the point with the very cheap, but some of the prices are astronomical!!!! seen optical cables for £30 but Argos sell them for around £15 they also sell what appear to be decent scarts etc. So does it really mean that much difference???

Don't get me wrong if they do I will invest in them, but don't want to throw money away unnecessarily.

17. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well Cupra R, I think optical is anyway expensive-I had to buy 5 m and then you pay a lot, but I don’t think it will make very big difference-just more long is more expensive. About the scart-there I think you should not make compromises-buy the best you can afford-I bough a scart for €50 and it was hi-def. scart?!?.Anyway it makes the TV viewing better, also get decent component cables-I've got Vivanco also for €50.There will be always some better ones:) I have no idea about the prices in UK as I am in The Netherlands
    Anyway my advice-get quality scart and component and the cheapest optical and get the right length-that will safe you some cash.

P.S.You can also use coax for digital out-in,if your Sky box has coax out.

18. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much for your help Stainway, all I await now is delivery. Which is taking some time.

19. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You will enjoy it every minute-hope the manual is maiden clear in English,as in Dutch was translated very bad:)

20. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL. hopefully then the manual will be understandable!!! Although I have already downloaded it from their website for a sneaky peak :thumbsup:

Once I actually get it and set-up and running I will post back my findings or questions for best set-up :thumbsup:

21. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I have had the JVC THR3 now for nearly a week, (still waiting on my Component cable though to finish it off, hooked it all up using cheap scart leads for now)

Very impressed with the sound :clap:

Although the fan on it is quite noisy when there is no sound.

Although when watching Sky I am getting alot of times when the speech is out of sync with the picture. Not sure how this is being caused. Any idea's?

22. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Have you connected the freeview box with optical cable?
    As for the fan-if you select L 1 for SAT then the fan is working always.Real stuppid,but you can change it to RGB/Video and then when the unit is off the fan stops also.

23. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I have connected via an optical cable, is this it then, do I have to watch programs knowing what someone has said before their mouths move LOL???

Is there no way around this, it's damn annoying. I haven't got my component cable yet, once this is plugged in, will the speech still be out of sync?

The fan on mine is off when I switch the unit off, it's just when there is a moment of no sound on the particular program I am watching, the fan can be heard. Probably a little picky, but SLIGHTLY annoying all the same. Don't get me wrong, it's not THAT loud. but it is there.

24. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I have sync. problem,but only when I use scart (analog) if I use optical then there is no problem,but I guess changing the channel and then back would help-anyway I am using sat receiver and the compression is less I think.
    But do you watch always TV with the JVC on?

25. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, my intention was to always use the JVC whilst watching TV. I don't understand why this is happening as sometimes it is ok then others the sync is out.

26. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The only way I think is to watch sky-via the JVC-so swith the TV on the AV you use for DVD and set the Home cinema on L-1,L-2 etc.... then you dont have sync.problem

27. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is the way I am currently using the whole system. :confused: I think :lesson:

28. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well I did few tests:
    If I watch TV, using my Sat. receiver (connected with scart cable to av1) and try to listen the soundtrack via the JVC THR3 -then I get sync. Problem
    But if I watch TV via the JVC THR3 (connected with component to the TV) I don't have that problem-I guess if you watch the picture with one scart and only the sounds is outputted via the home cinema -you get sync. problem

29. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahh, I think this is my problem Stainway, my component cable hasn't turned up yet, hopefully it will be here tomorrow. So I will be able to see if this does make a difference. To be honest I had a feeling this maybe the problem, but I shall see tomorrow. If they don't let me down again.

Cheers

Rich

30. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, the Component cable has turned up, BUT I still don't get a picture from Sky. I have played a DVD so the output is working from the DVD player to the TV, but I can't get a picture on the screen when trying to watch Sky, just a blank grey screen. I have switched RGB on on the Sky box (Scart control is also on???) I have an RGB Scart cable from the TV Scart socket of the sky box into L1 on the DVD then the component leads out into my Tosh 36ZP (TV is set to EXT4)

As I said the piture works from DVD but not Sky?