1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Th A5r

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by FiggyD, Oct 15, 2003.

1. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone got one or can reccommend this system?

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    This system is made for JVC by Samsung. In fact they didn't make much effort to hide its Samsung origins as it has a obvious samsung remote control with only the colour and brand name changed. Most JVC branded samsung made units have JVC designed remote controls to hide the source. The unit is something like the Samsung HTDM150 except being an earlier model there are quite a few changes like the lack of RGB scart. Perhaps the worst thing is they have supplied very poor satellite speakers with it. I don't know what sort of price you can find for it but I would pitch its value below that of the JVC THA-35R as that has an improved specification with regards features. I wouldn't pay more than about £170 new for this system as the 35 can be got for about £190. One thing in the THA-5Rs favour though is its excellent styling. I saw one in a shop once and thought it was one of the most beautiful home cinema systems ever. Don't let the samsung origins put you off as most home cinema systems now are coming out of china and the korean Samsung company has probably the tightest quality control of any manufacturer in china as they've been in china for a long time. Chinese made equipment made by LG or Samsung tends to be better quality than hardware from smaller chinese firms.

3. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot for that mate. I've seen one for £160 so I'm not too sure if to get it or not. It is very nice to look at but obviously I want it to be able to do the job as well. Do you think I could get a better system for a similar price?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    There are some restrictions with the model. The worst one though is I don't think there is a digital input either optical or coax for connecting something like a console. Also it doesn't have prologic 2. It does have excellent media and format compatibility and there is a temporary multiregion hack. If !60 is your maximum then I don't think you'll find better but if you could stretch to over £200 you should be able to find something better.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=1037&Search=Search&#comments

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=JVC+TH-A5R

5. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers dude.