• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

JVC TH-A5R Cinema System - connecting to new DVD player

B

biglil

Have the above cinema system and the DVD player has packed up.
I have been told that I may be able to get a pre-amp ? to connect the speakers to a new DVD.
(The speaker wires currently plug directly into the DVD player like an old style Hi-Fi).
Anyone got any advice/know where I can get such a thing ?

MarkTaylor

No easy way to say this so I'll just get it out in the open ...

If the main unit has died all you have left are a few very low spec 35W speakers and a sub that won't work (without some unusual cabling) on any system that doesn't already ship with similar speakers, as AV amps tend not to have speaker outputs for the sub as they expect it to be self-powered.

A pre-amp would get you nowhere as even if it was just the DVD itself that had failed not the amp side of things, your systems doesn't have the connections to make use of one.

I would seriously look at starting again as there really is nothing in the old system worth salvaging if the main unit has died.

Sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom