jvc th-a35 / xbox problem?

J

johnmcgonigal

Hi,

Is anybody aware of any compatibility problems between the xbox and the JVC TH-A35 home cinema system?

I have had the JVC for just over a year and purchased an xbox the other day. Having bought the appropriate av kit and optical cable, and setting the up xbox correctly, I get no sound at all when playing games. I know the XBOX is ok as I've tried on with another dvd / home cinema system, so it seems specific to the JVC.

I don't think the JVC is faulty, as when I connect my Sky+ box to the digital optical input on the JVC it works fine. Also, playing dvds on the xbox (both dolby 5.1 and dts) work perfectly. It's just games, which are silent.

The little indicator on the front of the JVC lights up (6 spkrs plus the 'digital' red light), so it seems to be getting the signal (although if you watch it sometimes some of the speaker indicators flash off briefly and then come back, as if there is a loose connection)

I just wondered if anybody else had experienced this, and could offer
any opinions / advice? Has anybody tried using this particular JVC home cinema system with an xbox?

Please tell me if I have posted this in the wrong forum, I wasn't too sure.

Many thanks in advance,

John

Yes I've double-checked everything - as the xbox works fine when connected to a different dvd / amp, I'm assuming everything is ok with the xbox. But as the dvd / amp recieves dd5.1 fine via optical from both the xbox (when playing dvds) , and my Sky+ unit, it seems that everything is ok with this too. It's just games from the xbox that are completely silent.

Thanks again,

John

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem! The JVC helpdesk in Netherlands is looking into it... do you have a solution, or is it still not working on your JVC?

Thanks,

Greetz,
Jeroen

Hi Jeroen,

No, no solution as yet unfortunately. I've tried JVC UK several times, but they ignore my e-mails and know nothing when I call them - I'm now going to write to them formally and hope they listen, but I am not hopeful.

I would be really interested to know if you have any joy with JVC Netherlands.

I am trying several different things at once, sending e-mails and making phone calls all over the place. As and when I make any progress, I'll update this thread.

Cheers for now,

John

Hi,

Did you guys find out anything yet? I have got the same problem but my receiver is a HK 5500. Except only two speakers get a signal and only the 'doby digital' light flashes on and off.

Unless I'm really mistaking everything was working fine before (I bought the cable together with the Xbox 1,5 years ago) but I haven't played for about half a year and I might have been listening via the television which is also connected to my receiver but I really don't think so.

I am going to phone the Xbox service center but you can't phone them with a mobile so I have to wait till I get the chance (this afternoon).

Thanks,

Adrie.

Hi again,

Solved the problem! Bought a new cable (not the optical part) and everything is working again.

Adrie.

Hi There,

I have the exact problem with my 360 and my jvc TH-A35.

I only got my optical cable yesturday. DVD movies played from the 360 work fine, but games do not.

On the front of the jvc the speaker indicators show 5.1. but no sound at all :(

Did you ever solve this - please say yes :)

Thanks

Hi,

Did anybody manage to find a fix for this problem.

I have exactly the same issue with a JVC TH-A35
Very Frustrating !!!

No word from anyone in the past month. Can anyone comment? I've just got my Xbox 360 (I assume everyone here means Xbox 360 rather than original Xbox right?) and have a TH-A35 back home which I'll bring up to try to hook up to get 5.1 over the digital input.

If it just isn't going to work though, I'll save myself the hassle. Strange that it should work on DVDs but not on games though - what format does the Xbox output in when running games? I thought it was just plain old Dolby Digital 5.1?

Hi,

I have tried to contact both MS and JVC, no contact from MS as of yet but this rather blunt reply from JVC :(

"Thankyou for your email.
If you have checked all the settings and selected 'Digital In' by pressing
the 'AUX' button to no avail then it would seem that the XBOX 360 will not
be compatible with the surround system.

Unfortunatley we have no firmware upgrades that will solve this issue.

JVC (U.K.) Ltd
Customer Service Dept.
Jiten Ganesh"

Ta

Neil.

Well, I'll be able to test this out for myself next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

It looks like at least one person in this thread has managed to get this working, so who knows. Am I right in thinking that the problem is just for games rather than DVDs / HD-DVDs? If so, then I guess I could probably live with it (and use stereo analogue output for games). Hardly ideal though...

I had the no sound problem on my samsung HX-Q100, turned out it was the cheapo optical cable I was using. Try www.kenable.co.uk. Cheap and uber quility :smashin:

Well, I'll be able to test this out for myself next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

It looks like at least one person in this thread has managed to get this working, so who knows. Am I right in thinking that the problem is just for games rather than DVDs / HD-DVDs? If so, then I guess I could probably live with it (and use stereo analogue output for games). Hardly ideal though...

Absolutly right, DVDs play fine in 5.1 (which is why I am sure it cannot be the cable). It is just for games, if you set the xbox 360 to digital stereo and the jvc player to pro logic then you can get sound out of all speakers, jut not true surround though.

I am now thinking of buying a AV Receiver, one with at least two optical inputs and HDMI connections, then plug both jvc and xbox 360 into this, and use the original JVC speakers, and bobs your uncle. A bit of a waste of cash really (as it should just work) but better than buying a whole new out of the box surround system. After looking around a bit you can pick up a pretty decent receiver on ebay for about £150, which would be far better quallity that the receiper / amp you get when combined with a DVD player surround system.

Also I can then upgrade the speakers at a latter date when I have got enough spare cash to justify Sky HD as well.

Ta

Neil.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm probably happy to live with that for now.

How well do Xbox 360 games tend to utilise 5.1 audio? I guess it presumably depends on the type of games - I pay mostly car racing games and I'd imagine it wouldn't really be of huge benefit there. Presumably FPS games are where it helps most?

Hi,

Reply from MS :) I will let you know what they say :)

Dear Mr.morey

Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support.
Due to the complex nature of your query we are unable to resolve via email. Please call Xbox Customer Support so a representative can assist you.

Best regards,
Xbox customer support
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/
United Kingdom:
Assistance by phone:
0800 587 1102
Or +44 20 7365 9792 from a mobile phone
Hearing Impaired (TTY device):
0800 587 1103
Hours of operation:
Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
Saturday: 09:00-20:00
Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Well, I've hooked mine up now and I can confirm that I'm seeing exactly the same problem as other people in this thread. Specifically:

- Digital input from the Xbox 360 works fine for DVDs; the JVC picks it up as DD5.1 and plays sound correctly out of all 5 speakers plus sub.
- Games and audio CDs don't work (the JVC displays the icon suggesting it has picked up a DD signal, but no sound comes out).
- I haven't been able to test HD-DVDs, as I haven't got any disks yet.
- I haven't been able to test a DTS DVD as I don't seem to have any handy. Presumably the JVC should be able to support this (as it supports decoding of DTS tracks on DVDs)?

I'm using the official component AV cable which came with the Xbox 360 Premium. I had an optical sound cable lying around - can't remember where I got it or how much it cost. Since it works fine for DVDs though, the cable isn't the issue.

I'll also email Microsoft and JVC - it's unlikely to actually produce any results, but the more people tell them the more chance there is something might get done.

you might actually get more info if you search the forums at www.xbox.com.
even posting there,someone might have a system that has the same problems that you are experiencing.

Well, I've emailed Microsoft support but not had any reply as yet.

However, I've had a thought as to what the problem might be. From a quick Google, it looks like the Xbox outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640kbps. This is a higher bitrate than the max bitrate allowed on DVDs (which is 448kbps). It's possible that the JVC only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 upto the max bitrate it needs to for DVD playback and therefore barfs on the Xbox's output?

This would be consistent with the fact that the JVC does play sound when the output is set to Digital Stereo (which outputs uncompressed 2-channel audio), or when using DTS output on an HD-DVD.

Hello:

I have the same problem. I can hear dvd perfect in 5.1 but games only in digital stereo with my jvc th a-35

The jvc optical input supports a maximun of 48 khz, that is the maximun used in dvd (and cd?). I think that the xbox, for games, uses 98 khz and then, the jvc can not do the work, but I can not confirm. Solution: no idea

Hi,

I never resolved this, but with the purchase of a new lcd I have upgraded to a upscaling hdmi system. So the jvc has been religated to the bedroom.

Shame though.

Neil.

Thank you kindshark

I have a new HD television (46 ", the xbox is fantastic in this tv). So, I will see this "problem" as an "opportunity" to improve this year (I hope) the rest of equipment (a/v receiver and dvd/blue ray; once the cost gets normal)

Hello there,

I have just read this thread and I have exactly same problem with the tha-35.
Did anyone ever manage to get an answer or solution for this before i flog it lol.
I have tried everything to sort this out but i noticed that the sound menu on the receiver itself is not used but there are options for dts output, surround output and pcm but they are all set to off and you cant access them.

DVD works fine in 5.1 though lol thats something i suppose.......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom