Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

JVC TH-A35 Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by getabout, Nov 11, 2003.

1. getabout

getabout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New and 3 weeks into the home cinema enjoyment with this system. I have a problem, for some reason whenever DSP or surround button is pressed 'INVALID' is displayed.

This doesn't seem to matter whether playing CD, VCD, or Tuner. Sound only comes from the front L & R speaker and the SW.

When playing a DVD and it automatically detects 5.1 sourround sound, all the speakers work fine.

Have I done something silly in all my button pressing frenzy or is this a fault as it used to work fine up until a few days ago.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem. Thanks

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Are you putting it into prologic 2 mode first before pressing these buttons?

3. getabout

getabout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not doinging anything, just switch on the unit and play. Only pressing buttons after tuner or disc is in.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    If your listening to a 2 channel source like radio, cd, vcd, svcd and even some 2 channel dvds to get them into 5.1 mode you have to press prologic II to process them into a matrixed 5.1 sound and then you can apply dsp effects including the original dolby prologic mode (4.1 matrixed) as well as other 5. 1 options.

I'm not quite sure if I've grasped your problem but my point is the default mode for the sources you mention are just 2 channels from the front and left speakers plus as you say bass directed to the subwoofer.

5. getabout

getabout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is where the problem lies, when listening to the above mentioned in the default 2 channel mode. Now when I press the Surround button to get into the prologic II mode for the matrixed 5.1 sound, 'INVADID' is displyed. Also when pressing DSP 'INVADID' appears and the sound stays in the 2 channel mode. Is this any clearer and thanks for replying.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't think I can help you, it almost sounds like the system doesn't think it has prologic II now. I have a Samsung HTDM150 which is possibly similar to your JVC as many of the JVC models like the THA-9R are made by Samsung for JVC. On my system there are 3 buttons related to prologic II. There is the Prologic II button hidden away under a flap (stupid place for this often used function) and until this is pressed the dsp/surround and effect buttons do not operate. By the way I see the JVC has had a very good review in What Hifi as basically the only model under £300 to get recommended and considering even Dixons are doing it for under £200 online its superb value. I don't know how much you paid but if its geniunely faulty and you paid nearer the £300 then you should get a refund and buy it again elsewhere. At least with Dixons if you buy it online you still get to take it back to the local store. I.e. no postage to pay and the chance of a direct swop.