1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC tellies: AV28X4 vs AV28X47 vs AV28X4SKA

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by smogo, Jan 18, 2005.

1. smogo

smogo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy a new telly and I think I'm going to plump for the JVC AV28X4, which is £529.00 from John Lewis but hopefully I can get them to pricematch down to Comet's £399.99. (Online retailers sell it for as little as £353 delivered.)

But...

The model that Comet is selling is the AV28X47, and the only review I've seen is actually of the AV28X4SKA (which Kelkoo doesn't seem to have heard of).

Does anyone here know the differences (if any) between these three models?

Any other advice relating to this set?

Oh, and also a complete newbie question: do you need special RGB scart cables to take full advantage of the RGB sockets?

2. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to JVC about this when I was looking at these models. They are all the same TV. There may be very suble differences in colour of the cabinets. I believe it is a ploy used by retailers to stop the practice of price matching.
    Cheers Chris

3. joe public

joe public

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smogo, I too took a trip to Comet to buy the AV-32X47 (£599) as I presumed it was the same as the well reviewed AV-32X4.

After speaking the manager (who actually seemed very knowledgeable for a change - for those of you waiting for a Toshiba 32ZP46, he said they had sold over 2000 which were all on back order), he disagreed with what Chris was told by JVC.

I had a look at the AV-32X47 (which did have AV-32X47 as the model number on the back) and it was indeed cosmetically different from the AV-32X4, however, it does sound feasible that they would have there own version to avoid price matching. Having looked in Currys, they have their own hybrid models too.

Incidentally, I have plumped for the 32" version (AV-32X4). You can get it for £498 including delivery from Cheap Electricals. I went for Sound and Vision Online at £523.95, they have a good reputation and as I was paying with Barclaycard (before the free warranty and price-match offers are withdrawn on 31st Jan 05), I needed it over £500 to get 2 years extra free warranty. When it arrives I will put a price-match claim in to get the difference back.

Cheers, Joe

4. smogo

smogo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both!

Assuming I can get John Lewis to pricematch theirs down to Comet's price, I then have to decide if the extra £50 I'd be paying compared to online retailers' prices is actually worth the 5-year guarantee....

Smogo

5. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    JVC say this model has something called "natural scan" here does anyone know what this is? I read somewhere else (probably on here) that this was to do with turning off 100hz processing? Can anyone confirm as the manual doesn't mention it is 50hz/100hz switchable.

6. joe public

joe public

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philangst

I found this explanation on a Samsung website, it explains their difference between Natural & straight digital scan. I guess it would be similar for the JVC?

100Hz Natural Scan - Natural Scan uses each image in digital memory to estimate motion and create new frames which are inserted where the repeated field is in 100Hz. Natural Scan is especially good when watching TV soap dramas or movies because it yield stable pictures with no flicker, it brings naturally clear image and fine details.

100Hz Digital Scan - Unlike analog processing in conventional TVs that display 50 fields per second, Digital Scan double a that rate to 100 through digital processing by writing each field twice in the same amount of time. The result is an ultra steady, smoother picture that is easy on the eyes.

Cheers

Joe