1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Sx21

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Raymond, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all the discussion on the US forums about the SX21, I find it kind of strange that on this forum there is not even a peep. Well, maybe half a peep back in December.

Am I missing something here? Just curious.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    The service and back up from manufacturers is what dictates their presence in a given market. JVC UK are not in any particular hurry to push this product over here. You never hear about the G series either for same reason.

Gordon

3. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply.

Am I to assume that JVC UK does not provide good customer service when a product does come out?

4. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have been following the recent threads on the US boards about the SX-21, where the unit has just been shipped in small quantities.

I have a few projectors DILA and DLP that I am going to look at and this new JVC looks very good.

I have seen some great prices from UK dealers at around £4000 in VAT for the unit, I am trying to track down a demo.

The main units I have shortlisted are:

NEC HT1000
    JVC SX-21
    Seleco 300+

If any UK dealers have had time with the JVC then please let me know what your opinions are of the unit.

Nick

5. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the price 4000 including VAT or excluding it?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    The Dila's have only been pushed for commercial use in this country. Their high resolution is a selling point in this area. Their appaling greyscale, low contrast and NOISY fans made them uninteresting to the majority of home cinema dealers (this is in pre-calibration out ofthe box mode).

For those interested you might like to know that the big screen you see in the studio on the 10 oclock news on BBC has a DilA behind it along with a stewart rear pro screen. I asked my JVC supplier if they could get me an SX21 for evalualation and they declined. I may try JVC direct.

I've seen one already and it looked great but it was attached to a $50,000 video processor so it wasn't really a fair comparison. I think the technology is the bizz though and that these devices have potential for greatness.

Gordon

7. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry, Raymond.

I have seen it for £4200 + VAT, which is £4935.

But it is early days yet and the prices will come down once the units start shipping in numbers.

Gordon,

Thanks for the info, I am waiting to see the unit myself if I can in the near future.

Here is a link I found with some screenshots (I know they don't mean too much being screenshots, but they look really nice!)

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~lilylily/av/jvc-sx21.html

Nick

8. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +699
    At the Barco trade event at Pinewood last year, I came across a company called Kaurus - visually sound solutions (Paul Sutton). His firm could provide a JVC Dila - might be of interest - they concentrated on installations if I remember correctly. See www.kaurus.com, or call 01992 460591 to get the 411.
    The Stifmeister

9. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if this projector has hit the stores yet in the UK?

10. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have JVC DLA-G10 since 1998 and it has been a great performer. It is true that it does need to be calibrated (and mine achieved CR of 500:1 afterwards) and it is noisy (I use haskbox).

But the picture is owesome for a 5 yeard old machine. My next move will probably be within the next 1 year to 16:9 native panel DILA. £4000 for SX21 is excellent value.

11. LegalEagle

LegalEagle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US MSRP on the SX-21 was recently raised to US$10,995 (nearly 7,000 pounds), according to a poster on AVS. If they're selling for just under 5,000 pounds, then that would be a great deal. However, its unusual for projector prices to be cheaper in the UK than the US.

Some early comparisons have also noted that the colour fidelity of the SX-21's UHP lamp is not as good as the Xenon lamped JVC models. The out-of-the-box contrast is better, however and the unit is quieter.

Despite JVC's claims, early SX-21s were not HDCP compliant. I think that resolving this issue has led to production delays. Any ideas when they will start selling in the UK?

12. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any further information about the availability of this projector in the UK?

13. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Raymond

Raymond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the link.

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Marata Vision distribute it for AV and Custom installers, the domestic side of things. They are available now, speak to your dealer.