1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Sub-woofer trouble - have I checked everything I can?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by itorres, Dec 13, 2002.

1. itorres

itorres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have JVC SX-PW22 power sub-woofer (connected to JVC RX-3THBK amp)

- no sound comes from my sub-woofer
    - Sub-woofer been working fine for few years, although it blew its fuse couple of times at beginning. replaced it with ones included in the package and kept working fine.
    - speaker cable connections are correct
    - led on the sub-woofer power amp comes on. it's green as it should. it acivates automatically on the auto mode or manually too, if I choose it. so fuse is ok and power is good
    - when power amp on sub-woofer activates I hear a slight thud as usual through the speaker, so it seems speaker works.
    - adjusted speaker volume to max and switched crossover frequency to see if it made a difference, no change

so, I think there may be something wrong with the crossover circuitry and not diverting any signal to the speaker.

am I missing something to try before spending the big $ at the repair shop?

thanks, all!

Ivan

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

What speaker settings have you selected on the amplifier, Large/Small? And what mode are you testing the sub in, Stereo, Dolby 5.1?

3. itorres

itorres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried all combinations I think.

This Receiver has Surround On/Off
    Surround Mode - Prologic/3CHLogic/Hall (I use Prologic - for Front, Center and Rear speakers)
    Center Channel Mode - Normal, Wide, Phantom (Normal routes bass to front speakers which go to sub-woofer first)
    Another setting creating different Eq and Delay called SEA - Sound Effect Amplifier

I don't have a setting for Large/Small, but I assume it sets if you have woofers in your front speakers so as to route the bass differently. I think that is controlled by the center setting on mine.

Thanks for the help.