JVC & Sharp S-VHS advice wanted

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Lester, Jul 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm in the market for a new video, and hope you might offer a little help and advice. Some of my queries have been answered across other threads...but just to make sure, bear with me !!

I've got a Sony FS70 and an Amstrad Sky Digibox, so when I timeshift programmes I'd like to get the best out of the kit.

There are a few machines I'm looking at: JVC 6700 ; JVC 7722 ; Sharp S2000

With the JVC decks:

1. Are they both able to switch my Digibox via the supplied satellite controller for timer recordings ? I'm sure they can, but one shop assistant said they didn't work with Sky.

2. I can pick-up the 6700 for £190 at Comet and the 7722 online for £230. They seem pretty much similar apart from the 7722 looking sexier and having DigiPure Technology. Is it worth the extra expense ? Or does the 6700 do the basically the same job but £40 cheaper ?!

As for the Sharp, it got an excellent review in HCC so I had a look around and found one for £210 on the Web. Seems like a bargain, except the satellite recording set-up looks an absolute nightmare. Their website has instructions that take up over a page ! Has anyone got this machine and can tell me that it's not as bad as it looks.

And in general regards S-VHS recorders:

1. Is the ET feature on these machines significantly better than a normal VHS ? Or do you really have to shell-out on S-VHS tapes for real improvements ?

2. When connecting to my TV, does the Scart-out from the video send S-VHS ? Or do I HAVE to use an S-VHS & phono to Scart connection ? The reason I ask is because I'd like to send the audio from the video to my amp.

Man....sorry to go on for so long !!! But if you can answer any of these then I'd appreciate it. And feel free to throw in any other thoughts and suggestions.

Lester

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    I have the jvc 6700. I cant help you with the sat controller as i dont use it. I went for this model against the more expensive one with digipure as my tv already has this feature.

Recording onto vhs tapes with SVHS-ET is an improvement but youll get better results using SVHS tapes.

In the menu screens you get the choice to output VIDEO or S-VIDEO from the rear scart or you can just connect up an S-VIDEO lead via the S-VID socket, the choice is yours.

Hope this helps you

cheers
    jase

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,915
    Hi again,

Just connect a couple of phono leads from the audio outs on the back of the video to the audio ins on your amp and then your in business. :D

cheers
    jase