JVC RS 46 extreme screen flickering

thejck

Novice Member
Please help. My first post here.

So I purchased a used JVC rs46 and it was working fine for a month. I noticed that there was a slight flicker in the brightness so after searching I thought it was the issue with the bulb filament that needed to be run on high for a while to attempt to correct. After running this for about 30 minutes I started to see the image jumping. no longer just a brightness issue but the image itself jumps up and down.
Seems like it comes and goes. Sometimes it gets worse sometimes it will go away fro about 5-10 minutes then it comes back.

There was one time that it was happening and i hit the reset on the picture mode and it went away for a few minutes then came back. Reducing the bulb to low mode didnt seem to do any good.

Also tried high altitude mode and eco mode with no luck .

It seems this was only happening when there was a source playing though it. I use a HTPC and I tried a laptop with the same issue. Also tried multiple hdmi cables and eliminating the receiver.

If I have the grid patterns displayed its fine.

Any suggestions please? the only issue I have been able to find is the bulb filament issue but this does not seem related.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds very odd, there shouldn't be any way for the image to jump up and down. Can you post a video of it happening?

Have you tried connecting via the second hdmi port?

thejck

Novice Member
yes i tried connecting both hdmi ports. different hdmi cables bypassing the reciever.

think if it as a vertical flicker. the windows task bar at the bottom jumping up and down the screen. at a really high rate. i can try to get a video. not sure if i can post on here since i am new.

it comes and goes every few minutes.

this only started happening after i turned my lamp on to high to try to resolve the brightness flicker that is something to do with the bulb filament.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a very odd problem, a couple of other things that may be worth trying :

1. Try removing and reseating the lamp (also inspect the lamp to see if there is anything physically wrong with it).
2. Try changing your desktop refresh rate, see if this has any effect on the flickering.

thejck

Novice Member
other than the filter is there anything else that needs to be cleaned on the inside. Since this problem first started to happen after I turned the bulb to high (more heat, high fan rpm)
as well
as it happens after the projector has been playing for a few minutes. (but it does go away and return)

i was wondering if its some sort of overheat issue.

thejck

Novice Member
i tried uploading a file that is 10mb. but it was too large. is there a limit? or a 3rd party place i can upload too?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
other than the filter is there anything else that needs to be cleaned on the inside. Since this problem first started to happen after I turned the bulb to high (more heat, high fan rpm)
as well
as it happens after the projector has been playing for a few minutes. (but it does go away and return)

i was wondering if its some sort of overheat issue.
No there's nothing else to clean, the prism in front of the lamp can be cleaned but that wouldn't have anything to do with the problems you're experiencing. I'm not convinced it's an overheating issue.
i tried uploading a file that is 10mb. but it was too large. is there a limit? or a 3rd party place i can upload too?
Youtube?

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Wow, never seen anything like that before, bizarre.

I can't think of anything projector related that would cause that, it's certainly not a lamp issue. Can you borrow a blu-ray/dvd player to test as another source?

thejck

Novice Member
i'll have to try.

i am thinking its some sort of issue with the hdmi board or optical processor board.

feel like i just flushed 1400 bucks down the drain :-(

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Hmm, doesn't sound good.

Have you tried a factory reset?

thejck

Novice Member
how do you do a factory reset?

I have only done a picture mode reset. I saw that button on the advanced menu. I recollect at one point the image was jumping/flickering like crazy and hitting the picture mode reset immediately calmed it down for a few minutes.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
That may be it, I can't remember if there's a full factory reset in the service menu, use the following keys to get into it :

Press the {UP} {DOWN} {RIGHT} {LEFT} button then press the {ENTER} button.

You have to do it pretty quickly, have a look in there, but don't go messing with any of the other settings.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom