JVC reveal 120FoV 2.5k per eye headset

Atmos

I think it looks pretty cool.

The first Quest was designed for mass market sales and ran at 72hz. So it seems everything’s good as long as it has an Oculus badge on it. Jokers.

ArmitageShanks

Can't say I'm too thrilled about the refresh rate or bug-eyed look (mind you, the Vives look worse aesthetically)

I think it looks pretty cool.

The first Quest was designed for mass market sales and ran at 72hz. So it seems everything’s good as long as it has an Oculus badge on it. Jokers.
The Quest ran at 72Hz because it was powered by a spud, and Oculus had to overclock the 835 to get at that refresh rate. The Quest 2 can now run at 90Hz because it isn't run by a spud, it's run by an APU that just released a couple of months ago that's (if I'm remembering correctly!) is between 2 and 11 times faster than the 835.

And this bug-eyed monstrosity can also run at 60Hz :eek:

Any business enterprise would be better off adopting the Quest 2 as their headset for the reasons given above which I'll include in this post, as well as add another couple:

1) The Quest 2 is a lot better looking in terns of aesthetics.

2) The Quest 2 is wireless

3) The Quest 2 has the power of a minimum spec VR Ready PC and is a standalone headset

4) The Quest 2 (and the Quest before it) are able to give businesses an Arena style multiplayer environment for their customers to use

I can't see any business with any sort of sense going anywhere near one of these unless they're VERY cheap, and even if they are that cheap said business will also need to buy a VR Ready PC for each headset too.

Atmos

Of course I forgot everyone wants tunnel vision HMDs for the next two years until Qualcomm update the XR2. Good luck with that. I’ll be enjoying something a bit better. Because PCVR deserves better. Lol

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Massive.horizontal FOV is nice but that vertical one looks small. That surprises me

72hz would be of no interest to me (just like I didn't buy a quest 1) but I can see how in many cases it would be fine .

I have no idea either way if people will be interested in it , time will tell I guess

As for looks.... Meh! That really would not bother me either way

Atmos

It’s not for consumers. It’s a enterprise unit. But it does show how new companies are coming onboard and supporting the SteamVR Eco system using light house tracking and knuckles.

90hz is the minimum spec for consumer HMDs imo and I’m sure that is every VR manufacturers target.

If JVC are developing a movie based HMD then 72hz falls in a factor of 3x24p. Not all HMDs are gaming HMDs

Of course I forgot everyone wants tunnel vision HMDs for the next two years until Qualcomm update the XR2. Good luck with that. I’ll be enjoying something a bit better. Because PCVR deserves better. Lol
Tunnel vision? This monstrosity from JVC has a 45 degree vertical FOV. It's going to be letterbox vision.

Might be useful for viewing films on, but you'd be better off viewing a film on a curved big screen like the one you get in Virtual Desktop. Perhaps they're planning on having a film screen glued to your face, but then the sweet spot is going to cause problems there. And you'll still have the problem of expecting businesses to pay for the headset and a VR Ready PC.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they're planning to do with this thing I guess. It's certainly a bit of an oddball of a headset either way.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom