1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC Repairs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by twice_nightly, Mar 23, 2005.

1. twice_nightly

twice_nightly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm trying to find somebody who'll repair my JVC GR-DVP7E camcorder at a sensible price!

The ribbon connector to the LCD screen is faulty so I phoned JVC for the name of my nearest authorised repair dealer, only to be told that local dealers couldn't repair 'digital' camcorders and that their is just one company in the UK who can.

I phoned the company in question and was quoted £130.00+vat to repair it which seems expensive to replace a broken ribbon cable, although I appreciate due to the size of the camcorder it could be tricky to replace.

Does anybody have any experience of mini-DV camcorder repairs?

Thanks very much
    Cheers
    Carl.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    I think someone got their wires crossed. There are around 20 JVC Digital Authorised Service Centres around the UK. Which one were you given and where are you? Can't promise a great reduction in the price though. Replacing the ribbon cable requires a fair bit of disassembly.

3. twice_nightly

twice_nightly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought only one repair centre sounded strange (and profitable!) I'm in Cumbria, so I didn't expect a service centre to be on my door step but the company I was given was called DMH (I think) and they're in London somewhere!

I appreciate that repair costs can be expensive and it does look complicated to disassemble, I'm not suggesting the company I phoned are over-charging I just wondered if their was somewhere else I could get a second quote from for comparison.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer
    Cheers.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    That's DNH in SE London. The reason you were given them is that you are a fair way from the nearest Digital ASC and they offer a full postal collection & delivery service.

The nearest to you are still a fair way away. They are Videotech in Ashton Under Lyne (0161-308-4092) and Vision 2000 in Leeds (0113-237-0293 )

5. twice_nightly

twice_nightly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gary, I'll give the one in Leeds a call. Maybe treat the missus to a shopping trip :)

Thanks
    Carl.