JVC Receiver's USB ports for PC connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Morbidsoul, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Morbidsoul

Morbidsoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have experience with them? I havent been able to find any good information on how it works.. if it will work with a wireless usb key? Ive seen them in the flesh, but the salesmen were totally clueless. Basically the descriptions say you just need to plug in the USB cable to a pc. Well, my pc is across the room from the unit, so I was hoping it would work with a wireless key. The salesman did say it worked with them.. but he didnt sound all that convincing. Sounded more like he just wanted to get a sale quick.

I just want to know what I may need to buy to get it working.. be it 15ft usb cables + repeaters.. or preferably wireless.

Links to some of the units are:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD1000000&pathId=5

2. S_Bob

S_Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i would imagine it would be USB to your PC. Wouldnt you need to install drivers for a wireless usb dongle?

salesmen say anything to get you to purchase a product ;)

3. Morbidsoul

Morbidsoul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea..and as it turns out this one did say "anything". The model he sold me, while it has a usb connection, its not wireless. I brought it back to get the next model up.. which they didnt have. Two models up I went and still didnt get what I had asked for. Apparently the 302 has wireless, while the 402 does not.. even though its a more expensive model. Sigh.. im about to give up on the dream of wireless connectivity to my pc for music play back. I may as well just get a long audio cable at this point and skip the USB jack.

4. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Oh ho... have just read CNET's review and it seems that for wireless operation with a PC you're given a single USB dongle which plugs into your PC. Great, what happens if it breaks - try trouble shooting that. A system to avoid I think, it may well clash with other wireless systems like your wireless computer network, DECT phones, baby monitor, video sender, etc...

Just a hint - remember to install the driver/software BEFORE installing the dongle on your PC. Especially if you have Windows XP.

5. FeiJi Fancier

FeiJi Fancier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you've got a decent sound card on your PC, you should get a better quality connection by using AC3/Coax, or Optical although these are rarer. Not sure if the wireless connection would be a digital connection in the same sense, you'd have to discuss that with the manufacturer.

I'm a bit confused by the CNET review - usually USB speakers become the primary sound system - which means that ALL the sounds from your PC will be passed through your new receiver - not just music. If you've got the telly on, you won't hear your PC sound. Not sure if that's what you want. When using a soundcard you could, in theory at least, disable the digital coax output until required and use a set of local speakers for traditional PC use.