JVC/Panasonic - rubbish editing facilities

R

Ronnie101

Whilst making it clear that my DVD Recorders are a year or two old and things may be different for new machines, I have to say I wouldn't waste money on a JVC or a Panasonic, now that I've got a couple of Toshibas.

Toshibas are SO much easier and quicker to use than the lame menus and lack of important editing functions of the JVCs/Panasonics, that I always take disks OUT of the JVCs/Panasonics and put them into either of the Toshibas for editing as it's still quicker and less frustrating.

Simple example:- Record a 2 hour film off the BBC with 10 minutes spare at each end to cover drifts in transmission time. To find the end of the film (to eliminate the junk from the end) with a JVC/Panasonic you have to spend 15 minutes picture-searching through the whole film, as chapter skip doesn't work for the final (ie only) chapter!!!!!

With a Toshiba, you just chapter-skip straight to the end and search backwards, or explicitly type in the hh/mm/ss position to go to. Takes 15 seconds.

Anyone who says JVCs/Panasonics are good for editing (compared with Toshibas) has either never tried anything better, or works for Matsush*ta and is paid to say so.

Gavtech

Administrator
I suggest you try the chapter form of editing on the Panasonics which is simpler than the method you cite [ for Panasonic] in the example above.

FYI - I am not saying that Panasonics are good for editing or that one machine is better than another... merely letting you know that there are other methods which might make you look more favourably upon it.

ChainsawDude

Novice Member
With a Toshiba, you just chapter-skip straight to the end and search backwards, or explicitly type in the hh/mm/ss position to go to. Takes 15 seconds.

Anyone who says JVCs/Panasonics are good for editing (compared with Toshibas) has either never tried anything better, or works for Matsush*ta and is paid to say so.
I do the same with my EX85, use [Edit]->[Partial Delete], I jump to the end (does work) and then skip back 1,2,3,.. etc minutes. That aspect of the Panasonic is not bad IMHO.
However, I don't like the really slow menus and the lack of a preview (such as the preview on my Pioneer which really improves editing).

Now if you want to have a proper go at Panasonic then have a go at the lack of widescreen recording for DVD-Video, now that IS something they should be ashamed of.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom