JVC N5 screen recommendation

sapkan

Hi, I recently upgraded my old Epson TW3600 to a JVC DLA-N5 and feel like I should also change the screen to get the most out of the new machine. I have been running a 105" Projecta matte white 1.0 gain screen so far. The projector is beaming from about 3.6m from the screen (max I can get from that distance is 112") and my room is well light controlled but I have a white ceiling and quite a lot of the light gets reflected back to it not doing the contrast any favours in the process. I have no experience with ALR high contrast screens that seem to be the rage these days and I don't know whether they would work well with the JVC or produce artefacts and hotspots etc. A local shop is offering Screenline screens and they recommend going for Radiance 0.8 or Grey high contrast 0.8 fabrics. I am, however, uneasy with negative gain screens as I would be losing from the light output.

Do you feel I stand to benefit from a newer high contrast alr screen in my setup? What about positive and negative gain? I would also be able to go slightly bigger to 110-112" if I upgrade.

I am attaching an image of my current screen and even though it is very overexposed you can get the idea of the screen reflection.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 106

alebonau

Hi, I recently upgraded my old Epson TW3600 to a JVC DLA-N5 and feel like I should also change the screen to get the most out of the new machine. I have been running a 105" Projecta matte white 1.0 gain screen so far. The projector is beaming from about 3.6m from the screen (max I can get from that distance is 112") and my room is well light controlled but I have a white ceiling and quite a lot of the light gets reflected back to it not doing the contrast any favours in the process. I have no experience with ALR high contrast screens that seem to be the rage these days and I don't know whether they would work well with the JVC or produce artefacts and hotspots etc. A local shop is offering Screenline screens and they recommend going for Radiance 0.8 or Grey high contrast 0.8 fabrics. I am, however, uneasy with negative gain screens as I would be losing from the light output.
I can honestly say ALR screens seem to be particularly the rage on this specific forum ! and not the standard where i am. most folk i know are just using regular screens whether dedicated room or non dedicated where I am. but have certainly seen them in action in store and in certain setups....

all screens have pros and cons... and there are certainly pros and cons with ALR screens...and it really depends which sort you go for... as to which end of spectrum they are at. some cons to watch out for are the negative gain, narrow cone of viewing angle... giving up ever being able to do pure white and these screens can be quite expensive as well.

Id strongly suggest checking out for self...make sure the projectors have been calibrated for the screens in question and make sure happy with what getting and to see it does what you want without unwanted side effects ....

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I can honestly say ALR screens seem to be particularly the rage on this specific forum ! and not the standard where i am. most folk i know are just using regular screens whether dedicated room or non dedicated where I am. but have certainly seen them in action in store and in certain setups....

all screens have pros and cons... and there are certainly pros and cons with ALR screens...and it really depends which sort you go for... as to which end of spectrum they are at. some cons to watch out for are the negative gain, narrow cone of viewing angle... giving up ever being able to do pure white and these screens can be quite expensive as well.

Id strongly suggest checking out for self...make sure the projectors have been calibrated for the screens in question and make sure happy with what getting and to see it does what you want without unwanted side effects ....

You need to either:
1. Treat your room
OR
2. ALR screen

Room treatment involves painting the walls, ceiling black and maybe getting dark carpet. The benchmark is MVEL22 velvet. It will substantially improve your perceived contrast and enhance the blackfloor dramatically with the lights off.

If you can't treat the room or doesn't want want to redecorate or don't like black/grey paint, buy an ALR screen. It will give you a large percentage of the PQ but with the caveat or a poorer viewing angle for people at the periphery. The ALR screen also allows you to view the PJ in the light obviously.

I have a Draper React 3.0 110'' in an untreated room and a semi-treated room and annoyingly, despite painting my walls and ceiling dark grey, the draper ALR comfortably matches/beats it in a room which is all white walls and white ceiling.

Also if you go ALR, you do not want max throw distance to screen ratio because it will cause hot spotting and bad viewing angles. You'd wanto to stick to 90-100'' because your throw distance and room are small.

From your photo, not to be too rude, but the JVC N5 looks awful. The letterbox bars are greyer than I've ever seen on any projector I've owned (except when I projected a HW40ES on a bedroom wall) and this is most likely down to the fact that your room is untreated. You have one of the top projectors in the world and really should either get a screen which combats your environment or treat your room to maximise the amazing blackfloor and contrast your PJ can showcase. I'm guessing the overexposure makes the image look way worse than it is.

If it was me, I'd treat the room with an aN5 but I understand if its a living room, not many people are prepared to have their first or second lounge a batcave with velvet draped everywhere. also darker colours do make a space feel a lot smaller and claustrophobic.

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

Personally i think the JVC N5 is overkill if your using a ALR screen, i might understand ALR screens on cheap DLP or LCD projectors.

Best you can do is to use a good white neutral gain screen and work on reflections in the room.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Personally i think the JVC N5 is overkill if your using a ALR screen, i might understand ALR screens on cheap DLP or LCD projectors.

Best you can do is to use a good white neutral gain screen and work on reflections in the room.

following this logic I think I’ve seen many jvc owners who probably are in the overkill territory given their rooms

Stridsvognen

following this logic I think I’ve seen many jvc owners who probably are in the overkill territory given their rooms
Ill prefer a neutral gain or something like a studiotek 130 for big screens no matter the room, not a fan of all these funky ALR screens, and yes i guess a lot of people is missing out on performance due to room limitations, no different than most sound systems.

Everybody is free to buy and use whatever they like, i just feel that ALR screens might be pushed a bit harder in the stores, and quality parameters like informing people about calibration and how light and light reflections in a projector setup degrade the image drastically is a bit forgotten when they are trying to sell a screen covered in moon powder.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Ill prefer a neutral gain or something like a studiotek 130 for big screens no matter the room, not a fan of all these funky ALR screens, and yes i guess a lot of people is missing out on performance due to room limitations, no different than most sound systems.

Everybody is free to buy and use whatever they like, i just feel that ALR screens might be pushed a bit harder in the stores, and quality parameters like informing people about calibration and how light and light reflections in a projector setup degrade the image drastically is a bit forgotten when they are trying to sell a screen covered in moon powder.

Does help a lot if you want to use your projector in ambient light though. I loved being able to use my Draper with the door open and the curtain drawn whilst entertaining friends.

Furnace Inferno

I wouldn’t use any non-ALR white screen in a living room environment because the wash out just makes the black levels and general contrast no better than on a budget high brightness projector firing at a white wall.

ALR screens aren’t magic or snake oil it’s just basic science and if it’s in a light room as far as I’m concerned a necessity to get good picture quality. For most people a dark living room and/or dark just around the screen isn’t possible, is a white screen superior in a fully blacked out room, sure but the small quirks of ALR screens are more than worth it to get decent picture quality.

Stridsvognen

I wouldn’t use any non-ALR white screen in a living room environment because the wash out just makes the black levels and general contrast no better than on a budget high brightness projector firing at a white wall.

ALR screens aren’t magic or snake oil it’s just basic science and if it’s in a light room as far as I’m concerned a necessity to get good picture quality. For most people a dark living room and/or dark just around the screen isn’t possible, is a white screen superior in a fully blacked out room, sure but the small quirks of ALR screens are more than worth it to get decent picture quality.
In that kind of environment there is no good quality projection, no doubt a ALR screen will make it look different, and can be a must, i however still think a JVC N series is overkill for those kind of setup. As it has so much more to offer on a reference white screen in a dedicated room.

Stridsvognen

Does help a lot if you want to use your projector in ambient light though. I loved being able to use my Draper with the door open and the curtain drawn whilst entertaining friends.
And thats where the Epson comes in, for that i agree, just think its a waste of money using a JVC projector in that kind of setup, will the JVC perform better than the epson, sure, but the gap will for sure get smaller in a living room / ALR screen setup.

Furnace Inferno

In that kind of environment there is no good quality projection, no doubt a ALR screen will make it look different, and can be a must, i however still think a JVC N series is overkill for those kind of setup. As it has so much more to offer on a reference white screen in a dedicated room.
I mean I’ve compared my Epson LS10500 which is JVC X7900 level in my all white living room on an ALR screen to the N7 in a blacked out room and it’s pretty close. Everyone who actually has used one says the same thing so I don’t know why you are so anti.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I mean I’ve compared my Epson LS10500 which is JVC X7900 level in my all white living room on an ALR screen to the N7 in a blacked out room and it’s pretty close. Everyone who actually has used one says the same thing so I don’t know why you are so anti.
The LS10500 and the X7900 are much closer than than the normal epsons though (9300/9400).

I think the gap might be bigger with them.. but I could be wrong.

Stridsvognen

well if a Epson LS10500 looks anything close to a JVC N7, something is completely off to start with.
Different people have different preference levels, i just hate hotspotting, off angle dropoff, sparkling, and other potential screen issues, so we just have focus on different things.

And no, everyone dont say the same thing, for that you will have to handpick the ones you call everyone. At least you can count me out of the everyone crowd.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

~Totally agreed.

If you're not a fan or unable to black-out a living room, an ALR screen is probably the single best upgrade to your image outside of buying a TV instead in 99% of the population's living rooms.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of having a pretty decent image with the curtain drawn.

I know there are people out there paying double or triple the price of an Epson and rocking a JVC but getting inferior perceived contrast and image in their untreated room compared to a good ALR screen & a decently bright PJ

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
well if a Epson LS10500 looks anything close to a JVC N7, something is completely off to start with.
Different people have different preference levels, i just hate hotspotting, off angle dropoff, sparkling, and other potential screen issues, so we just have focus on different things.

And no, everyone dont say the same thing, for that you will have to handpick the ones you call everyone. At least you can count me out of the everyone crowd.

True. Some people have a preference for not letting their living room look like some ugly black cave or having a preference for being able to actually see what is on their projector screen in ambient/moderate sunlight ;)

Projection and home cinema is all about preferences.. no size fits everyone but I think for the general population who want a gigantic image without the room decor and severe light compromises, ALR can be viable..

Whether its worth using with an JVC/ALR.. I don't know. But on the Draper thread, plenty of people upgraded from Epson to JVC and saw a massive improvement with an ALR screen and non treated room.

Stridsvognen

True. Some people have a preference for not letting their living room look like some ugly black cave or having a preference for being able to actually see what is on their projector screen in ambient/moderate sunlight ;)

Projection and home cinema is all about preferences.. no size fits everyone but I think for the general population who want a gigantic image without the room decor and severe light compromises, ALR can be viable..

Whether its worth using with an JVC/ALR.. I don't know. But on the Draper thread, plenty of people upgraded from Epson to JVC and saw a massive improvement with an ALR screen and non treated room.
In general the JVC i a massive improvement over a Epson, and i get the big image thing, people can do whatever they like, its a free world, i would prefer a few simple tricks to a living room long before going ALR, Also i would never want a projector setup under those conditions. Its no different than working with room acustics to make a sound system sound decent, then there is those that think they can get away doing nothing and use room EQ.

Furnace Inferno

Yes it must be an issue with the setup because I’m sure you’ve seen them both to compare :rolleyes:.

Anybody using a white screen in a light walled living room will have poor contrast and that is a fact, light reflections will wash out the image and as I said I don’t think a single person who has switched in those conditions could argue the white screen looked better.

Your argument of the LS10500 being significantly inferior to the N7 (which it’s not) is based purely on the contrast being lower and yet an ALR screen which in a bright room gives a far larger difference in contrast than between the two projectors alone would is somehow irrelevant. What you are saying is contradictory.

If we are going by what most people would do then they’d plonk a nice big screen OLED in the room and get superior picture quality in all lighting conditions so let’s not be pedantic about exact wording :p.

Furnace Inferno

In general the JVC i a massive improvement over a Epson, and i get the big image thing, people can do whatever they like, its a free world, i would prefer a few simple tricks to a living room long before going ALR, Also i would never want a projector setup under those conditions. Its no different than working with room acustics to make a sound system sound decent, then there is those that think they can get away doing nothing and use room EQ.
Hear any lyngdorf room perfect processing recently? That’s exactly what they advocate and with industry wise praise for the results too same as ALR screens actually so... ;)

Anyway we obviously aren’t going to agree so let’s agree to disagree and the OP should get demos in their home if possible and decide for themselves.

Stridsvognen

Yes it must be an issue with the setup because I’m sure you’ve seen them both to compare :rolleyes:.

Anybody using a white screen in a light walled living room will have poor contrast and that is a fact, light reflections will wash out the image and as I said I don’t think a single person who has switched in those conditions could argue the white screen looked better.

Your argument of the LS10500 being significantly inferior to the N7 (which it’s not) is based purely on the contrast being lower and yet an ALR screen which in a bright room gives a far larger difference in contrast than between the two projectors alone would is somehow irrelevant. What you are saying is contradictory.

If we are going by what most people would do then they’d plonk a nice big screen OLED in the room and get superior picture quality in all lighting conditions so let’s not be pedantic about exact wording :p.
Ill like to come by at some point to see the LS10500 vs JVC N7 setup, seen them both, always found the epsons to have quite annoying grainy/ slow panel update or whatever it is, there is a lot more to image quality than just contrast, cant say im a fan of the N7, its ins kind of a medium contrast projector normally with horribly contrast and color uniformity, for sure made me reconsidering kicking the old CRT projector back to life after having returned 2 JVC N7. Other than that the N series have the most smooth organic image i have seen on any digital projector. Cant say i got that feeling about any Epson projectors.

Furnace Inferno

Surely one of the DLP’s from Sim2 etc. would be your ideal then as they are the only ones with the same great motion resolution and higher infrascene contrast?

Personally I can’t get on with terrible black levels and poor dark uniformity, same reason I hate LCDs, especially the all the rage thin crap we have now with edge-lit LCD’s, they can’t even match the older bulb lit ones!

Mini-LED will hopefully be decent though before micro-LED becomes affordable and hopefully they’ll bring back proper motion resolution too.

Stridsvognen

Surely one of the DLP’s from Sim2 etc. would be your ideal then as they are the only ones with the same great motion resolution and higher infrascene contrast?
Guess they would be good for the ALR screen market, but as i shared im not a ALR / ultra low contrast kind of fan, no matter how high the ansi contrast is.

For me high end projectors belong in a dedicated room with a reference white screen, everything else is a major compromise in one way or another..

I have a 500.000:1 projector from 1996 with no lag and the best motion ever, and a super smooth high res analog image, it maxes out at 400 ansi lumen, and is perfect for a 100" screen, same can be said about most digital projectors, no matter the specs, generally they are stretched to thin on to big screens, different people, different compromises, No Epson, no DLP and no ALR, and no living room projector setup for me please.

Put me in a dark room with a high end projector on a reference screen, a spectro and a Klein K10A or alike, and im happy when its tweaked to its full potential.

And ill never recommend a ALR screen to a JVC N5, or a N5 to a ALR screen setup.

Furnace Inferno

Guess they would be good for the ALR screen market, but as i shared im not a ALR / ultra low contrast kind of fan, no matter how high the ansi contrast is.

For me high end projectors belong in a dedicated room with a reference white screen, everything else is a major compromise in one way or another..

I have a 500.000:1 projector from 1996 with no lag and the best motion ever, and a super smooth high res analog image, it maxes out at 400 ansi lumen, and is perfect for a 100" screen, same can be said about most digital projectors, no matter the specs, generally they are stretched to thin on to big screens, different people, different compromises, No Epson, no DLP and no ALR, and no living room projector setup for me please.

Put me in a dark room with a high end projector on a reference screen, a spectro and a Klein K10A or alike, and im happy when its tweaked to its full potential.

And ill never recommend a ALR screen to a JVC N5, or a N5 to a ALR screen setup.
All well and good but then what do you suggest projector owners do who don’t have dedicated rooms, not get a projector and instead get a smaller TV screen? And FYI this is coming from someone who is planning to build a dedicated room with everything completely blacked out and behind an AT screen because I can see light reflecting off things behind me in my periphery and find it distracting sometimes so yes it’s the ideal scenario.

I’m sure everyone would all love that, just like we’d all love to have Christie DLP projectors with unrivalled contrast and picture quality in dedicated 1 million pound home theatre rooms but there’s something called compromise and you can achieve a lot in a living room and non-ideal shaped rooms with high end room correction systems and quality ALR screens which let the equipment perform near to their best and still give a damn good experience.

Blacking out an entire room or not getting a projector at all if you can’t or just get a sound bar if your room isn’t the perfect size/shape is hardly good advice when there are ways around these things.

Stridsvognen

All well and good but then what do you suggest projector owners do who don’t have dedicated rooms, not get a projector and instead get a smaller TV screen? And FYI this is coming from someone who is planning to build a dedicated room with everything completely blacked out and behind an AT screen because I can see light reflecting off things behind me in my periphery and find it distracting sometimes so yes it’s the ideal scenario.

I’m sure everyone would all love that, just like we’d all love to have Christie DLP projectors with unrivalled contrast and picture quality in dedicated 1 million pound home theatre rooms but there’s something called compromise and you can achieve a lot in a living room and non-ideal shaped rooms with high end room correction systems and quality ALR screens which let the equipment perform near to their best and still give a damn good experience.

Blacking out an entire room or not getting a projector at all if you can’t or just get a sound bar if your room isn’t the perfect size/shape is hardly good advice when there are ways around these things.
Som people is fairly creative and open minded when comes to adapting, its not impossible to deal with reflections without making a horror living room.

As i pointed out a few times now, everybody should do whatever they want, that dont change that if there is a will there is a way to make something that is a better solution than a ALR screen, its not like they are miracles with no negative side effects, they just trade 1 problem for another, and its very subjective how people experience that.

Generally i find that most projector setups are bad, even in dedicated rooms, also expensive JVC projectors, most people lacks basic understanding of what it takes to make it work, same goes for TV setups, so dont take a hole lot for most consumers to be satisfied.

GrazzaB

For what it’s worth I upgraded to a JVC N5 from an Epson LS10000 and the difference isn’t at all night and day on a white 113” screen in a dedicated room. It improves in the areas you’d expect, but the LS10000 was a superb projector with fantastic colours and contrast and motion. Obviously the N7 will be improved again in terms of contrast and WCG compared to the N5, but while I have no regrets moving to the JVC - it’s a superb projector - anyone who could get a good price on either of the LS units would be making an excellent decision and getting a fantastic PJ.

While I no longer need a React screen in the dedicated room, they are absolutely a great solution for people in a typical living room. I didn’t find mine transformative, as they can’t perform miracles, they do certainly improve contrast in less than ideal rooms. But you do need to be aware of some issues like uneven brightness according to your seating position, some screen texture and so on so it’s always worth a demo (not easy these days) if possible before buying.

sapkan

You need to either:
1. Treat your room
OR
2. ALR screen

Room treatment involves painting the walls, ceiling black and maybe getting dark carpet. The benchmark is MVEL22 velvet. It will substantially improve your perceived contrast and enhance the blackfloor dramatically with the lights off.

If you can't treat the room or doesn't want want to redecorate or don't like black/grey paint, buy an ALR screen. It will give you a large percentage of the PQ but with the caveat or a poorer viewing angle for people at the periphery. The ALR screen also allows you to view the PJ in the light obviously.

I have a Draper React 3.0 110'' in an untreated room and a semi-treated room and annoyingly, despite painting my walls and ceiling dark grey, the draper ALR comfortably matches/beats it in a room which is all white walls and white ceiling.

Also if you go ALR, you do not want max throw distance to screen ratio because it will cause hot spotting and bad viewing angles. You'd wanto to stick to 90-100'' because your throw distance and room are small.

From your photo, not to be too rude, but the JVC N5 looks awful. The letterbox bars are greyer than I've ever seen on any projector I've owned (except when I projected a HW40ES on a bedroom wall) and this is most likely down to the fact that your room is untreated. You have one of the top projectors in the world and really should either get a screen which combats your environment or treat your room to maximise the amazing blackfloor and contrast your PJ can showcase. I'm guessing the overexposure makes the image look way worse than it is.

If it was me, I'd treat the room with an aN5 but I understand if its a living room, not many people are prepared to have their first or second lounge a batcave with velvet draped everywhere. also darker colours do make a space feel a lot smaller and claustrophobic.
Treating the room is out of the question as it is already too dark and serves as a living room too.

The image I attached is really bad, I am posting another one. There are definitely unpleasant reflections from the white ceiling and the white housing of the screen.

Narrower horizontal viewing angles are not a big factor in my case as the cone we watch from is quite narrow. Hotspotting and losing brightness are my main concerns for going the 0.8 ALR route. The N5 is shooting from almost the minimum distance for the corresponding diagonal and also the fact that this pj is no light cannon.

I came across these reviews:

A guy raving about this Celexon ALR, however this model has no borders and seems rather cheaply made.

Celexon Dynamic Slate ALR Screen review

The other one is a ProjectorCentral ALR screen test. Quite an interesting read. The Elite Darkstar 9 seems to do very well with ceiling reflections and has a very good horizontal viewing angle but quite a poor vertical one (for some reason I overlooked the latter while it is equally important). Also among the least bright in the test as expected with the 0.9 gain.

Attachments

• IMG-1526.jpg
    IMG-1526.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 59

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp