JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

I went from Epson 5040UB (which I think is TW9300) to N5 - both are great but the N5 is much better. Not just with HDR (where it is amazing) but also watching regular TV from lower bitrate 1080p sources.

I have a 65' LG OLED too - I hardly watch that now. The sheer scale and spectacle of a 110' projector screen for the N5 easily makes up for the poorer contrast compared to the OLED. Also, the speakers are behind the AT-screen - another thing that's more difficult to do with TVs.

I am thinking of going back to a projector setup with a flexible throw distance as a 55 inch TV is simply not comparable and the 75 inch ones are not very practical and are still smaller than a small to medium sized projector screen.My budget is probably in the range of an Epson TW9400 or an used JVC5900,but I wonder,is it worth it to break the bank for a N5?I almost bought an Epson LS10500,but it fell through and i wonder if the less than 90 percent of DCI-P3 coverage of the N5 would be really noticeable against (much cheaper)projectors with 100 percent coverage.I would want everything to be great,if not exactly reference level,with a bulb based projector at that price level!
Go for a JVC X7900. Cheaper than a N5 and better contrast and better blacks.

Тhanks for the replies.I cant accomodate more than a 120" screen,so the pixel shifters would probably be sufficiently sharp and detailed for UHD movies,but apparently the 4k PC gaming is a different story-i would need native 4k,HDR,full speed HDMI ports and less lag.Sony VW270 probably meets these criteria,but the critised lens,contrast and colour gamut are giving me a pause as i dont want to compromise the film viewing experience.Well,maybe the next model cycle would bring a N7 performance for N5 money.

Тhanks for the replies.I cant accomodate more than a 120" screen,so the pixel shifters would probably be sufficiently sharp and detailed for UHD movies,but apparently the 4k PC gaming is a different story-i would need native 4k,HDR,full speed HDMI ports and less lag.Sony VW270 probably meets these criteria,but the critised lens,contrast and colour gamut are giving me a pause.

I find 120" to be the sweet spot with my X7900, in my room, for overall clarity, pop and HD and 4K HDR image.

I cannot comment on 4K PC or competitive gaming, apart from a few tests with Dolphin at medium to high settings, but I have no issues at all gaming off and online with my PS4 Pro and also with Street Fighter V, online. I just remembered, I may have played some 4K PC games, but again, not competitive or of that needing very fast response times. I find the X7900s lag times to be absolutely fine for me.

Go for a JVC X7900. Cheaper than a N5 and better contrast and better blacks.

I second this, from my experience and circumstance, I also highly recommend the X7900. Very good deals still to be had brand new but I understand that there are not many left in the wild.

Тhanks for the replies.I cant accomodate more than a 120" screen,so the pixel shifters would probably be sufficiently sharp and detailed for UHD movies,but apparently the 4k PC gaming is a different story-i would need native 4k,HDR,full speed HDMI ports and less lag.Sony VW270 probably meets these criteria,but the critised lens,contrast and colour gamut are giving me a pause as i dont want to compromise the film viewing experience.Well,maybe the next model cycle would bring a N7 performance for N5 money.
I'm very happily gaming on my 4k PC with my X7900, no problems at all here and it looks stunning. :cool:

I am not into competitive gaming too,but i run the titles at max settings,so i am a bit apprehensive about the E-shift clarity as UHD movies are usually not as focussed and most are from 2k masters.I am actually fine with the 4k/30/10 bit limitation of projectors like the Epson LS10500 as i dont quite have the horsepower for 60 fps.

The question with the X7900 is will i really notice the better blacks and contrast as i have white walls and ceiling and i will be doing a loft conversion(dedicated home theater room with mat black paint on the walls and the ceiling,black sofa,black door,etc) abroad,but i would use it only several times throughout the year,so the projector would probably live here in a room,where only the blackout drapes provide a degree of light control.

I am not into competitive gaming too,but i run the titles at max settings,so i am a bit apprehensive about the E-shift clarity as UHD movies are usually not as focussed and most are from 2k masters.

E-shift on my X7900 is stunning and very sharp. I do not know what you mean when you say that UHD films are usually not as focused. Get a demo of the X7900 if you can.

The question with the X7900 is will i really notice the better blacks and contrast as i have white walls and ceiling and i will be doing a loft conversion(dedicated home theater room with mat black paint on the walls and the ceiling,black sofa,black door,etc) abroad,but i would use it only several times throughout the year,so the projector would probably live here in a room,where only the blackout drapes provide a degree of light control.

Yes, you will notice the better blacks and contrast. I currently have terracotta walls, carpet, curtains and a white ceiling, and coming from my X5000 to my X7900 the difference was night and day and stunning - and the X5000 is already still impressive. You won't benefit from the maximum levels of course, but it is all relative. Whether one thinks it is worth it in a non-batcave room is another thing. I however, think it is. I am currently working on my room and will most likely paint it and ceiling all grey.

you’ll gain a massive amount of contrast back if you choose the correct screen surface in a white reflective room you have described

that’s a conversation to be had elsewhere so as not to derail this thread

Allan :smashin:

agreed re the choice of screen in a lounge type set up is crucial - moving to an ALR screen from a white screen made a huge difference in my room - with screens buy right and you buy once!

I think there are still one or two 7900's at a certain retailer but I suspect you will need to get your skates on if you want one

on the "lack" of P3 coverage on the N5 - I think you will need to see the N5 and N7 side by side to see if 92% to 99% P3 coverage matters to you - I doubt it will - my Epson 9300 using the filter apparently had more P3 coverage than my N5 but I think the colour is probably better on the N5 - as well as every other aspect of image quality but at the price it should be

I have taken the N5 off from my list.I am sure that it will blow me away in a demo and the lack of a complete P3 coverage on some colours wouldnt be a problem,but i cant reconcile its price with its X5900 level contrast performance and the N7 is totally unattainable for me.

The ALR screen is probably a must-have for my room,but the price is eye-watering!

I think that any of the projectors from my list(the VW270,the LS10500 and the X7900) is going to be a delight.

I have taken the N5 off from my list.I am sure that it will blow me away in a demo and the lack of a complete P3 coverage on some colours wouldnt be a problem,but i cant reconcile its price with its X5900 level contrast performance and the N7 is totally unattainable for me.

The ALR screen is probably a must-have for my room,but the price is eye-watering!

I think that any of the projectors from my list(the VW270,the LS10500 and the X7900) is going to be a delight.

if it’s black level you seek as being important, then that, imho leaves the LS10500 which is discontinued and afaik been unobtainable for about the last 4-6 months, and the X7900.

For me, the ones you have mentioned was always going to be a 2 horse race with one having fallen at the first hurdle ;)

It's a difficult choice too - both have pros and cons which makes it a case of having to see them (preferably at the same time) and decide which one ticks most of your boxes.

if it’s black level you seek as being important, then that, imho leaves the LS10500 which is discontinued and afaik been unobtainable for about the last 4-6 months, and the X7900.

For me, the ones you have mentioned was always going to be a 2 horse race with one having fallen at the first hurdle ;)

Well,i meant that for 6500 pounds i wouldn't accept "worse" contrast and colour gamut than the X5900,which i can buy for 250 percent less!Subjectively even the Sony contrast would probably be satisfying enough for me.

Well,i meant that for 6500 pounds i wouldn't accept "worse" contrast and colour gamut than the X5900,which i can buy for 250 percent less!Subjectively even the Sony contrast would probably be satisfying enough for me.

the X5900 has been discontinued now for i’d say at least a year and possibly longer so must be old stock a dealer has or of course used/demo

just saying for your info ;)

The Sony VW270 is no match for the JVC X7900. The Sony has less light, much less contrast, blacks are weaker and has no manual or dynamic iris. Its 4k resolution cannot make up for that. I have compared both a few times as well.

the 270es is on your list? you do know the P3 coverage is very limited and as for contrast?

I think you will do well to find the Epson at all and the X7900 is no longer widely available

I just read passionhomecinema's N5 review and they claim that it combines 4k DLP level of sharpness(excellent optics and sharper,yet more natural looking image than the 270ES/570ES) with class leading brightness,15000-20000:1 on-off native contrast(but much higher with the DI without brightness pumping) and terrific fluidity and colours(82.4 percent P3 coverage).A demo is coming up and I may withhold buying a projector now and waiting till Black Friday.

OK... :)

JVC DLA-N5 vs Sony VPL-VW570

For some one who thinks about SONY, new JVC generation can beat old generation JVC in some specs. But i realy like x7900 its is amazing projector with greate contrast and greate sale/discount price but new gen can me offer somethink els. I dont have cinema dark room then i prefer bether sharpnes on detail over contrast. And on my ALR screen (gain 1,35) i have on disabled iris native contrast 32152:1 with white walls and i am happy :)

the images the N5 produces are stunning in my view

these are phone (Huawei p20 pro) pictures I took tonight of the N5 showing YouTube 4K SDR clips (that I think JVC used for their demo's of the new range) and projected in a lounge set up on to an old react 2.1 104" screen

Atl45YT.jpg

OMvOajv.jpg

FSAzwf9.jpg

yqAz38H.jpg

JbpJduF.jpg

DhnhHjU.jpg

I am pretty happy with mine - reading reviews and specifications maybe does not tell the whole story does it?

Those demo clips are mastered to pop on anything, it will look wow on whatever projector you trow it at. The real test is some good movie material, like the last Harry Potter movies, or alike.

Those demo clips are mastered to pop on anything, it will look wow on whatever projector you trow it at. The real test is some good movie material, like the last Harry Potter movies, or alike.

:thumbsup:
I do agree with you Stridsvognen, in general screenshot does not tell very much the truth about the in real life picture quality of the projector. One chip DLP full HD projectors with 1000:1 on/off contrast may be much easier to take screenshots from than high end d-ila projectors with very good on of contrast and black levels. Think taking screenshots from many of the dark scenes from the last Harry Potter movies will be rely hard to do correctly with a handheld mobile phone camera, and to get the sharpness and resolution of a native 4K projector correct, the camera and lens used for the screenshot shod have a resolving power so the projectors pixels shod be visible when zooming into the picture.....

I do think jakimp's pictures look great, and if the N5 is proppely calibrated in the darkest end, think it will look stunning in real life showing the most difficult scenes from the last Harry Potter movies too.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom