JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

IMG_20191011_000231.jpg
IMG_20191011_000235.jpg

couple of phone snaps from blade runner uhd on DTM frame by frame

How did lightoutput contrast and calobration look after the firmware update.?

I don't measure as I don't have the equipment or the inclination

all I have watched that I knew the pj struggled with before - even with auto tone mapping engaged - looked much better

like most members I want a plug and play solution to watching HDR10 material and after a few hours viewing on the new firmware I am happy that this is a large step in that direction

I'm probably very wrong here but all the development for hdr tone mapping on projectors because it's to dark etc doesn't this mean it's now more like standard dynamic range / HDR to SDR 2020 conversion ?.

don't think so Martin as the PJ still engages HDR10 mode and if you have the N7 or NX9 you still have almost 100% P3 coverage whilst using DTM

I think the point is to optimise the image whist still doing HDR and WCG - as far as any PJ can do those

Morning all. Unfortunately after the firmware update, I'm having serious problems with my N5 - its the dreaded green bars.

I'd had this problem only twice before the update and not since the first couple of weeks of ownership - the screen suddenly gets overlaid with luminous green bars (see the attached picture). The only way to get rid of them is to power cycle. Since the update, I'm now getting these generated on almost every viewing session, sometimes 5 minutes in, sometimes an hour in, but virtually every time, rendering the PJ completely unusable unfortunately. I've done some research and it appears to be a known issue, with things like use of Denon AVRs (that I've got) to the 3D emitter (which I also have) being blamed.

Has anyone on here come across this issue? I've started the process of speaking to JVC about this via my dealer as its clearly unacceptable but I just wondered if anyone on here has had this issue either prior to or after this new firmware update?

One not very happy camper...……. :(

N5 issue.jpg

sorry about that but I have not seen any issues like that at all

I have used mine initially with a pioneer sclx901 and lately with an arcam avr390

I also have the 3D emitter fitted

my only problem has been that the jvc and my oled wont play nicely with the mirrored outputs on my arcam so I had to use a powered hdmi splitter to break the signal to the jvc - an arcam owner above had the same problem and uses a vertex in a similar way

factory reset on both the denon and the N5?

seems very odd the problem came on after the firmware update

I had a big issue with a JVC X30 and I had a new one delivered by JVC very quickly - they will sort you out quickly - good luck but a real bummer

Hope you get it solved ASAP. Its not funny to have spent money on a toy like this when it turns out to be problematic, can have a effect on ones mood for sure.

If it was me i would try out a different player and HDMI cable, direct from player to projector, if the issue continues pack it in the box and take it back to the dealer, and ask them to fix it, and give you something else to play with while your waiting.

It is a known and documented infrequent bug that I would have thought would have been solved by now. I know it may only happen in very specific cases with very specific kit, but the fact it’s not been fixed and an update may have made it worse is not very comforting..

I really liked the RS2000 dispite its issues, but one cant help thinking it might be better to wait see if the next generation is more stable, and more consistent performance from sample to sample, im currently waiting to get a reply from JVC, if they will replace my unit or i get my money back.
The store already commented that the unit did not look right.

Cheers all - Allan has quickly got on to JVC and they have already replied so that’s good. Interesting their asking me a lot of questions about other kit that seems to tie in with comments here. Will keep the thread posted as to progress but if the firmware has exacerbated things it may be a future firmware update can also be produced to rectify it.......

Thanks again all :smashin:

you are doing what far too many forum members on all forums do by ignoring the fact that only a small % of owners post on forums at all and of those that do post very few post to say my unit is perfect - you are drawing conclusions from a small sample size which is understandably skewed in favour of those with issues

it is a real pain when owners like you and Coz have issues but you cant really draw conclusions on the whole range can you? its the same as me saying mine has been perfect so they all must be perfect

I don't think any high end PJ will be without issue across the production run - they are complex bits of kit that will always be "delicate" and designed to work to very small tolerances

you will be waiting at least a year for the new range at the earliest I suspect and then you wait for the early production run to pass and then you are 6 months from a new range and so you wait …..is there any evidence on here that issues really diminish with newer models? don't they just change?

to an extent it will always be the case that you hope for the best that you get a good one and fall back on the warranty if you are unlucky - I think it is the nature of the game and pretty much common to every display device for which there is a forum on this site

as I said above I had an X30 that started throwing magenta all over the picture after a few hundred hours - the next one was perfect - bummer but we all just carry on with this very obsessive hobby anyway

Al sorted out my JVC X30 and sold me my N5 - I am sure he and JVC will sort it

will be interesting if they can help sort it if you have any compatability issues in the chain - bloody hdmi cables :facepalm:

From what I’ve read it’s a well documented issue that has been around I think from day 1. It’s across the range N5,7&9. It may be to do with certain content, lot of blacks / going to lots of black and DI being on and at the point it cuts in and starts to close down. @Coz22998 do you have DI turned on or off? If not may be worth trying the PJ with it off?

Has anyone compared an NX's HDR dynamic tone mapping performance to madVR's? Is it similar, the same or worse?

Has anyone compared an NX's HDR dynamic tone mapping performance to madVR's? Is it similar, the same or worse?
Buy one and tell us?!? :D Doesn’t @mattkhan run and N7 with madVR?!?

Ha ha ha.

you are doing what far too many forum members on all forums do by ignoring the fact that only a small % of owners post on forums at all and of those that do post very few post to say my unit is perfect - you are drawing conclusions from a small sample size which is understandably skewed in favour of those with issues

it is a real pain when owners like you and Coz have issues but you cant really draw conclusions on the whole range can you? its the same as me saying mine has been perfect so they all must be perfect

I don't think any high end PJ will be without issue across the production run - they are complex bits of kit that will always be "delicate" and designed to work to very small tolerances

you will be waiting at least a year for the new range at the earliest I suspect and then you wait for the early production run to pass and then you are 6 months from a new range and so you wait …..is there any evidence on here that issues really diminish with newer models? don't they just change?

to an extent it will always be the case that you hope for the best that you get a good one and fall back on the warranty if you are unlucky - I think it is the nature of the game and pretty much common to every display device for which there is a forum on this site

as I said above I had an X30 that started throwing magenta all over the picture after a few hundred hours - the next one was perfect - bummer but we all just carry on with this very obsessive hobby anyway

When JVC came out with the previous chassis the first 2 releses had some issues like the CMS and calibration controle were funky, short lived lamps, front ir board had the cap mounted backward on the first release and the ballasters were not that good so a verry common problem.

That was basically all fixed for the 3rd edition of that chassis with the X35->

If history repeating its not likely that JVC bring out anything significantly different for the next 2-3 years, the X series had minor changes to the lamp engine during its life cycle, most were different lamp types and controle/ processorchanges, lens remained the same, and is still used in the N5/ N7.
They also say the bulb is re used from the 5000-> series, however in a different housing.

I bought the X7 and it was a expensive and troublesome experience, still have it on its 3rd lamp, new ballaster and a ir board repair, have around 1500 hours on it, never really used it much.

Have the X5900 wich is actually a fair projector, specially concidering the price i got it for.
Calibrates extremely well, have the vertical streaking as they have, and not very high contrast, max around 22000:1 but still significantly better projector than any SONY or Epson offerings.

As i see it we can tolerate JVCs not so good QC, or big sample variations, or buy another brand that is worse then a bad JVC, there is no alternatives to JVC on the market today.

The RS2000 / N7 and NX9 is the first digitals within financial reach of normal mortal humans i have seen that makes me watch movies on the digital as much as on the CRT.

As there is no standard for HDR calibration and gamma tracking for projection its still a highly individual subjective opinion what you prefer or not, SDR is still the most acurate format to see what was intendet to be seen, and the new JVC projector can be calibrated perfectly to D65 Rec709, and around 12-16fl with very nice dynamic range, wich cant be said about HDR, unless you tonemap it to your SDR calibration.

Quick update:

1. Did the factory reset on the PJ - no change (apart from me forgetting about a couple of submenus and losing my calibrated settings that I hadn't noted down...…. :mad:)
2. Not able to do an AVR bypass until the weekend - well, I am, but its faff and I'm working late this week so what I really mean is I'll do it at the weekend...…...
3. The main reason for waiting until the weekend being I removed the 3D emitter and BOOM! A perfect 90 minute viewing session. I switched HDMI inputs on the projector, tried all my sources and it remained perfect.......

I'm genuinely baffled. I've replied to JVC who asked me all these same questions so will see what they come back with...…..but I'm gobsmacked. I've watched a handful of 3D movies on the projector prior to v3.10 and they played perfectly so no idea how this emitter can be part of the problem, but all I know is since pulling that little black box out of the back of the PJ I've had flawless viewing......

…..and I do mean flawless. Tried multiple films - Black Sunday on grainy blu, Endgame and The Revenant on UHD - and its looks just gobsmackingly good. I can't say for sure if the biggest difference is me simply leaving the DTM HDR on high lamp mode (my previously calibrated HDR mode was in low lamp mode) or if its actually the DTM, but if the projector carries on playing ball over the next week (wife and daughter on holiday, I'm at home all on my lonesome...:clap:) I'll do some proper direct comparisons.

But I hope to god, this can be fixed simply and with me keeping this model. Its so good when it works...…..

Sorry for going on, hope some of this may be useful for others (or rather I hope its not useful as no-one else has this problem!).

glad you found the problem and can see how good 3.10 DTM is in action

still weird tho as I have left my 3D emitter in place before and since update and have never seen the issue you had but if it does happen I know where to go

enjoy your movie watching - spiderman into the spiderverse looked pretty amazing (sorry) tonight

checked the foam air filter at the back of my N5 after 500 hours use - gentle vacuuming as stated in the manual but I found no discernible dust in any event

So.……….I am now the proud owner of the most expensive brick on the world......…...

:(

After nearly two films worth of faultless viewings, the dreaded green bars came back. So the investigation began.......

1. I tried every piece of kit in every AVR input to see if it was a kit/HDMI issue: certain bits of kit (both Panasonic UHD players) in every AVR input generated the bars immediately. Some didn't - the ATV took a good 90 minutes before it got the dreaded bars. Conclusion - not an AVR/cabling issue;
2. I bypassed the AVR and took both Panny UHD players direct to the N5 - immediate green bars; and
3. Finally I switched inputs on the N5 and got the same.

Conclusion - my N5 is ****** knackered. The day my wife and daughter beggar off for a weeks holiday.......this could indeed be karma.

So JVC contacted, am now awaiting pick up details. I'm so disappointed. Whether or not this was all due to the v3.10 firmware update or if the N5 had a latent problem that it just wasn't showing very often (I had had the green bars before but only a handful of times in the early days and the firmware update wasn't exactly smooth sailing either), but for such an expensive piece of kit and with all the production delays they had to address these kind of issues, I have to say I'm really disappointed. The faff of dismounting it, finding suitable packaging (of course I haven't kept the original box, its the seize of our smallest bedroom!!) and the dreaded worry that JVC will investigate and go "can't find anything wrong with it, its all your kit/cabling".......

But anyway. One not very happy camper. My experience with JVC so far has been very good, lets assume that will continue and this will get sorted ASAP. Will keep the thread posted with the findings - this green bar issue has gone on with others, but the only solution I've found is that replacements have been given. Lets see what happens..............

PS just for poops and giggles, I got a new screen issue through all this. Want to see it? Ooooooo, pretty.

:mad:
N5 issue 3.jpg

Last edited:
removing the 3d emitter isn't preventing the green lines? what have jvc said?

you cant have the dearest brick as there must be some equally broken N7's out there - sorry

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom