Quantcast

JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Exactly the same boat here, #1 the price really puts me off, I know there’s some haggling to be done, but no point doing that until #2 I’m completely happy with the product and currently with the few bugs, it feels a little too early for me as I’d be unhappy stretching to pay over what I’m happy to pay for a non perfect product. #3 the weight puts me off, as I’d have to do some work there, but if #1 & #2 were sorted I’d get my tools out!!
At the moment I’m more than happy with the performance of my x7900 with its custom curves, HDR looks stunning, I’d just prefer a more automated (and dynamic if poss) solution, but I also still think HDR in general is a bit of a mess (mastering and metadata etc), which is probably made worse by the fact I use a number of sources (UHD DVD, SkyQ, Plex via nVidia, Netflix & Amazon via ATV4k) and also want things like ATMOS.
I can’t help thinking that an x7900 + Lumagen Rad Pro (which would roughly equal the upgrade price to an n7) or MadVR Envy may be a better and more elegant solution. Also any descent and upgradable video processor will likely outlast PJs and TVs like my old DVDO did back in the days. It’s just £4K for a Vid Proc is VERY hard to get my head around...

jakimp

I would not suggest that you move from the 7900 but I can only speak from my own experience over 350 hours of a march 2019 N5 that I have not had any issues other than I cant get my LG OLED and the N5 to work together on the mirrored outputs of my AVR 390 but that is not really a "fault" as i think the issue is caused by panel resolution differences of the 2 displays

if you are waiting for a "perfect" AV product then you will have a very long time before you buy any other display, player or receiver ever again I suspect......without "faults" to complain about who would ever join this forum?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Re ‘perfect’ products, #1 I completely largely agree these days, although I’ve had quite a number of PJs and various other AV kit over the past years and don’t generally bat an eyelid when getting them. Half the fun for me is getting used to and learning the new kit and as such I have something turn up most months for one of my setups. I think it’s the vastly increased price of the N7 that is making me wince and think twice, when normally I’d just buy it without putting too much thought into it.. #2 it has not always been like this and not too long back, buying a complete AV processor, amp and HiFi setup from the same vendor such as Naim or Tag was easily possible for a best of breed setup which is no longer the case unless spending much much more, same goes for TVs the Panasonic and Pioneer professional displays with no sound and driven by an external video processor gave great results and only costed a little bit more..
I guess things were simpler then, but there was also not such a strive for each device to do everything on one box and also support millions of different picture standards (resolutions, refresh rates, colour types and depths etc). If a TV these days does not support HDR, HLG, HDR+ & DV as well as having ATMOS, every app under the sun whilst talking to you and making the tea it’ll never sell or will get slated by users. They also seem to demand it must have features not even released yet etc..
I think things move much quicker and we're all effectively beta testers in the rush for the bosses to get products with headline features to market quicker than the techies can produce, test and make it 100% stable. To be fair same goes in my IT world, where a quick solution with headline capability wins over the better solution which would take longer but probably cost less overall and last longer...

Jonesthegas

I have over 200 hours on my N7 and with the Lumagen DTM the picture is just fab. No issues here either. Got a new larger screen also and couldn't be happier.

I plan to keep this until RBG laser comes out in a few years.

Martin

jakimp

just wait for hdmi 2.1 - we haven't nailed hdmi on any level and you want the same cable to do even more?

I agree re the price but I tend to get at least 3 years out of each product cycle so not too bad on total cost overall but if you are a serial flipper then yep it gets pricey quick

size/weight? it is about the same footprint as my old Epson 9300 but 50% taller - weight not an issue for me as I do not ceiling mount my PJ's. the case size clearly helps with noise and cooling as it is much quieter than my old Epson and no part of the case even gets warm after 4 hours use

maybe I am more "understanding" about new products - I was a very early oppo 203 buyer and still have my original player nearly 3 years on and use it pretty much on a daily basis and have no plans to change it at all - I agree early adopters are beta testers and the oppo 203/5 were perfect examples of 1000's of posts about faults that were easily fixed with firmware

scrowe

There isn't any straight answer on the upgrade front. I'm not anal or fussy on PQ as I don't have the eye for detail other enthusiasts have, but I definitely see a much sharper cleaner image than my X7000, and my HDMI sync woes are no more, picture is rock solid on all devices and resolutions, and for most people the HDR tone mapping is significant. For some the contrast may be an issue, accepted, but generally owners seem to agree that the dynamic iris is suitably compensating. So the clear identified improvements, just come down to an individual assessment of value for money, especially considering its been all but confirmed no new models this year from JVC in this range.

Stridsvognen

From what im informed the on off contrast is identical on the X7900 VS N7 in identical setup when calibrated properly to not elevate black, anyone have changed from -x7900 to N7 and have contrast measurements on both.?

panman40

Distinguished Member
Anyone have an opinion on 1080p Blu Ray images upscaled by a Panasonic ub820/9000 compared to the JVC’s own native 4K? Or doesn’t it work like that with a native 4K pj ?.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
From what im informed the on off contrast is identical on the X7900 VS N7 in identical setup when calibrated properly to not elevate black, anyone have changed from -x7900 to N7 and have contrast measurements on both.?
All the numbers I've seen have the N7 measuring quite a bit lower than X7900. I'm not saying this adds up to an inferior image, but that is what the native contrast numbers are.

Stridsvognen

All the numbers I've seen have the N7 measuring quite a bit lower than X7900. I'm not saying this adds up to an inferior image, but that is what the native contrast numbers are.
The native contrast nr is a best case scenario fully closed iris, and in some cases with color balance all off for max lightoutput, so the specs rarely translates to anything related to a real life setup scenario, why it would be exiting to hear if someone had the experience swapping from the X7900 to a N7 or NX9, and actuially know the exact measured contrast in the specifik setup.

I only have it from 1 guy who tested multiple N7 units and had X7900 in the past and he said they were basically identical in both ansi and on off contrast, if the N7 was calibrated properly out of black.
I only can relate to my X5900 wich is no where near 40000:1 calibrated with fully closed iris, and thats surposed typical for that model. I have 24000:, thats on a short trow, and if using the JVC auto calibrate even less as the spyders red error messes the max lightoutput.
Native panel contrast fully open is around 14000:1 where the old units like the X3/ X7 have a native around 20000:1 with fully open iris and short trow for my room.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
If they were just comparing black levels, then it could be the situation where the black levels look the same for both, but the brightness differences due to contrast not being as obvious.

Stridsvognen

If they were just comparing black levels, then it could be the situation where the black levels look the same for both, but the brightness differences due to contrast not being as obvious.
Im talking about actual calibrated setup where both projectors are set in the same possition same lightoutput, and the black level the only variation where the lightoutput dividet with the black level = on off contrast.
Ill think both the X7900 and the N7 will be good compared to all the alternatives there is on the market, even the X5900 and N5 is superior to all other brands on the market today when it comes to on off contrast.

jakimp

firmware 2.08 now available - "more" operational stability

Saul Goodman

Re ‘perfect’ products, #1 I completely largely agree these days, although I’ve had quite a number of PJs and various other AV kit over the past years and don’t generally bat an eyelid when getting them. Half the fun for me is getting used to and learning the new kit and as such I have something turn up most months for one of my setups. I think it’s the vastly increased price of the N7 that is making me wince and think twice, when normally I’d just buy it without putting too much thought into it.. #2 it has not always been like this and not too long back, buying a complete AV processor, amp and HiFi setup from the same vendor such as Naim or Tag was easily possible for a best of breed setup which is no longer the case unless spending much much more, same goes for TVs the Panasonic and Pioneer professional displays with no sound and driven by an external video processor gave great results and only costed a little bit more..
I guess things were simpler then, but there was also not such a strive for each device to do everything on one box and also support millions of different picture standards (resolutions, refresh rates, colour types and depths etc). If a TV these days does not support HDR, HLG, HDR+ & DV as well as having ATMOS, every app under the sun whilst talking to you and making the tea it’ll never sell or will get slated by users. They also seem to demand it must have features not even released yet etc..
I think things move much quicker and we're all effectively beta testers in the rush for the bosses to get products with headline features to market quicker than the techies can produce, test and make it 100% stable. To be fair same goes in my IT world, where a quick solution with headline capability wins over the better solution which would take longer but probably cost less overall and last longer...
Haven't you just sold your x7900? What are you upgrading too?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I still have an x7900, I had two, don’t ask! I love it, think it’s a real nice sweet spot. I really fancy an N7, but still am struggling to justify the extra ~£4K outlay to myself. I tell myself it’s not worth the extra from what I have, but then come back to still wanting it and should I sell this x7900 too and go for it or wait and see what happens or maybe add a processor to the x7900. Again can’t justify £4K on a Lumagen, but maybe a MadVR ENVY may be cheaper....

Saul Goodman

I still have an x7900, I had two, don’t ask! I love it, think it’s a real nice sweet spot. I really fancy an N7, but still am struggling to justify the extra ~£4K outlay to myself. I tell myself it’s not worth the extra from what I have, but then come back to still wanting it and should I sell this x7900 too and go for it or wait and see what happens or maybe add a processor to the x7900. Again can’t justify £4K on a Lumagen, but maybe a MadVR ENVY may be cheaper....
I have a 1080ti in my HTPC (cpu is an ancient overclocked 11yo Q6660 still going strong) running Madvr with my x9500. So for me the cost to upgrade to a n7 is imo definitely not worth it, in my batcave room. Wouldn't like to give up contrast for 4k resolution, I haven't seen a N7 in action though, but the urge isn't there tbh.

If the ENVY is a very interesting piece of kit as it would be nice to have the tone mapping on all sources. I tend to watch 90% of tv shows on my OLED though. I can understand not everyone wants to mess around with a HTPC, so a MADVR ENVY will be a sweet option.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Nice and I tend to think the same around resolution, I want it for the tone mapping and maybe better optics, res won’t hurt, but not as the loss of contracts, if it really is a loss in real life, i.e. with Iris open when watching HDR. No issue playing with HTPC if I know it will work, I’ve been working it IT and building PCs / servers since the 80’s. However I (and family) tend to use Plex for my library via nVidia Shield TV and ATV 4K for streamed content and not sure I can use these with a MadVR PC. Would happily build a PC if it was versatile enough and didn’t limit me to just KODI or a single player, have plenty of bits I can use, but would need to invest in an appropriate video card. The ENVY I read may be more versatile as can just pipe various sources into it, so feed it from my AVR etc...

shartm

Now I have a Epson 9400, want to get true 4K. I have before me two options - the Sony 570 and a JVC N5. Planned the latest, but scares number of potential problems. Most importantly - "the bright corners." Someone here wrote that very clearly seen in scenes like the one in "Strange things" Eleven is in a "different world" - a small figure in black. From here a question to owners of N series - is it possible to completely mask the light angles / spots in these scenes closing the aperture to -9/-10 while using DI or decrease brightness without black crush?

Stridsvognen

Now I have a Epson 9400, want to get true 4K. I have before me two options - the Sony 570 and a JVC N5. Planned the latest, but scares number of potential problems. Most importantly - "the bright corners." Someone here wrote that very clearly seen in scenes like the one in "Strange things" Eleven is in a "different world" - a small figure in black. From here a question to owners of N series - is it possible to completely mask the light angles / spots in these scenes closing the aperture to -9/-10 while using DI or decrease brightness without black crush?
Remember that the sony can display some fairly ugly issues on black screen as well, mine have a very green upper right corner, but the sony have less contrast so it might not be as visible due to the very elevated black level.

howieeb

Does anyone have any calibrated lumens figures for these pjs? Low and high power? I'm still torn on screen size/material.

jakimp

on the N7 review thread someone has posted a link to an Italian site about new firmware coming in November which sounds very exciting for HDR performance - taking auto tone mapping to a whole new level by the sound of it - for N5 N7 and NX9

wow

jakimp

looks pretty amazing as described - for HDR10 content applying frame by frame HDR optimisation

October release and they are demonstrating it in operation at the current show

safe to assume that there will indeed be no new models for 12 months and even better that they are releasing major new features on current models by firmware and not by saving them for new models like they seem to have done in the past range - long may that continue

also on the US site a $1000 price rise is coming for the N7 over there - it still makes it $1000 cheaper than the equivalent sony so perhaps they think the rise is justified

should all be very exciting

jakimp

Does anyone have any calibrated lumens figures for these pjs? Low and high power? I'm still torn on screen size/material.
from the projectorreviews.com N7 review for out of the box settings which the reviewer thought were generally pretty accurate

Color Mode Lumens (High Lamp Mode)
Natural 1767
Cinema 1613
HDR10 1767
HLG 1767
Film 1489
User 1 to User 6 1767

Trending threads

Latest News

Panasonic launches SC-HTB600 and SC-HTB400 soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published