Quantcast

JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

jakimp

martin with your luck you'd have to kiss a lot of frogs before you found a good N series pj

you'd have to see a reasonable one in action on 3.10 to decide if it is a risk worth taking for you as you have a good 7900 already

Stridsvognen

If i had a good X7900 sample i would personally not want to use my money on these first generation 4K JVC models, i would wait and see if the next generation is more stable performers, and the HDR pita has setteled more, from content providers, players and displays.

jakimp

strids maybe you need to change your signature - isn't this the owners thread?;)

Stridsvognen

strids maybe you need to change your signature - isn't this the owners thread?;)
I made a deal that if JVC issues a replacement for my RS2000 im going to buy the replacement, but as the deal was made true Ebay/ paypal the system forces a refund when the unit has been returned.
So i concider myself to be in between RS2000 units for now.:lesson:

jakimp

your recent posts seemed to suggest to me that you had decided against a replacement N7 and were going to wait for the next range so it seemed a fair conclusion to make - but as you have said more than once a less than perfect N series is better than anything else out there at a comparable price point

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Tried out the autocal for the first time today after 350hrs (using a spyderx for gamma and i1pro for colour). Seems to render a 3d lut pointless atm as dE is nearly entirely <1 (and mostly less than 0.5) based on a quick 170 patch verification. This is nice as it is really quick to complete that (just 2 runs in my case for rec709 and dci-p3) compared to making a 3d lut.

Stridsvognen

Tried out the autocal for the first time today after 350hrs (using a spyderx for gamma and i1pro for colour). Seems to render a 3d lut pointless atm as dE is nearly entirely <1 (and mostly less than 0.5) based on a quick 170 patch verification. This is nice as it is really quick to complete that (just 2 runs in my case for rec709 and dci-p3) compared to making a 3d lut.
I agree that its compleetly pointless to add a 3D lut from a external processor in series, it will likely do more harm than good, i got a very accurate color checker with a average below dE 0.7 and max dE 1.3 wich most likely could be fiddeled lower.

The importance with these JVC projectors seems to have a stable room temperature, as the gamma and grayscale will drift around forever if room temeperature is not stable.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I wish JVC would add the i1D3 to autocal.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
I agree that its compleetly pointless to add a 3D lut from a external processor in series, it will likely do more harm than good, i got a very accurate color checker with a average below dE 0.7 and max dE 1.3 wich most likely could be fiddeled lower.
so far I've found the rec709 profile can be improved via a 3d lut (taking dE from a range of roughly 0.5-1.3 down to 0.2-0.7) but dci-p3 is better in some respects and worse in others (i.e. some colours are better, others are worse)

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
some measurements in my room showing the effects of autocal (and my current attempts to refine further with a 3d lut). I only did a quick verification report as it was getting a bit late :boring:

for DCI-P3 (low lamp, iris at 0)

autocal only on the left
after 3d lut on the right

3d lut not an obvious improvement here, need to investigate further to see if it is possible to improve the results

colours.png

gamma.png

rgb.png

gamut.png

Harry1983

sorry but it is unevidenced to say there is "an admittedly high failure rate" - have there been any other members on here save for you and strids who have had issues that need potential replacement units?

I will say it again that it is "dangerous" to draw any conclusions about failure rates based only the evidence of the (hopefully) few reports we have of major problems - I suspect that there are by now 1000's of owners worldwide using these without a problem and not bothering to tell us that their units are fine

it is also flawed in my view to suggest the N range will have no value out of warranty - if you believed these forums and the USA ones all epsons of the last range failed all the time and I see no shortage of buyers on here for used 7300 and 9300 models

whether it is hardware or software related you need your machine replaced but whether you get a new one or a refurb unit will be interesting - hope it gets sorted quickly
I had to have mine replaced due to a loose lens assembly and poor convergence.. new one is fine.

jakimp

not good but sounds like the issues were properly addressed which is hopefully reassuring - loose lens assembly maybe a transit damage issue?

Harry1983

not good but sounds like the issues were properly addressed which is hopefully reassuring - loose lens assembly maybe a transit damage issue?
That's what I was thinking, when the box was opened, the polystyrene at both ends had cracks in. I took photos straight away. It was resolved reasonably quickly. I returned the defective unit directly to Decam (repair agent) as this was more convenient for me - better for them also as less chance of further damage with a courier.

Although you cant blame JVC for that, I do think their packaging (internally) is not good enough.

jakimp

when you see the way couriers handle packages its a surprise any one of our kit survives transit

mine seemed to survive the journey from Yorkshire to Worcester with only a very minor scuff to the outside box and no mark on the inner box at all or internal packaging

my Monitor Audio Gold sub was not so lucky as the box was badly damaged and the grille was snapped in half happily the actual sub was ok and I got a new grille from the seller - given the weight of the item they did well to move it let alone damage it

currys (bless them) managed to deliver 55" Sony TV with a pristine box but a screen cracked from top to bottom - great question from the driver "are you rejecting the TV sir?" - possibly

just another challenge to this hobby

jakimp

as my unit reached 500 hours and I had installed 3.10 firmware I asked Steve Kemp to pop in when he was in the area to check his prior calibration

the SDR setting had moved a little and Steve concluded that the the HDR needed touching up due to natural movement and a need to optimise for the DTM setting

all done very efficiently and well worth the effort in my view - hopefully should be good to go for a while now

Harry1983

as my unit reached 500 hours and I had installed 3.10 firmware I asked Steve Kemp to pop in when he was in the area to check his prior calibration

the SDR setting had moved a little and Steve concluded that the the HDR needed touching up due to natural movement and a need to optimise for the DTM setting

all done very efficiently and well worth the effort in my view - hopefully should be good to go for a while now
Nice :)

Got Mr Withers coming in a few weeks to tidy mine up. It's a May build, pretty much faultless.

jakimp

Nice :)

Got Mr Withers coming in a few weeks to tidy mine up. It's a May build, pretty much faultless.

mine is a March build and likewise has been "pretty much faultless" as well

sure Steve will get it perfect for you - he does have a measure of experience with the N7 after all

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Buggered N5 UPDATE:

So my very expensive brick was packaged up and collected on Tuesday and JVC have just got back to me.

Firstly, my packaging looked like it was ripped apart by wild animals (JVC took pictures of it and sent them to me). I get I had to create packaging and it may not have been the utmost in secure packaging, but what DPD look like they've done is have bloody lions play football with it. Luckily the PJ was still in full working order, just with some scuffs to the casing (I don't even know how this could even have happened.....) which JVC have kindly offered to replace (the part of the casing that is scuffed that is) for free.

So, my machine did have a hardware fault - I asked for details and none were forthcoming, but according to them it has been completely fixed and tested and is being returned to me by the end of next week. Whilst I'm torn on this (should I have had a new unit?), my unit was so good in every other way, I'm kinda glad to get it back.

But of course, proof will be with the getting it back and firing it up with my kit........

I have to admit to being very impressed with JVC/Decam about all this. Quick email responses, quick solutions and goodwill gestures which you could argue they didn't need to do. Very impressed.

So thumbs up from me on how this has been handled, I'm just dying to get my baby back in full working order!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

jakimp

glad for you it is all getting sorted

bloody couriers - I think fragile labels are a challenge to see how many times they can drop it

all my MA speaker boxes say "useless if dropped" and I am amazed any of them arrived in working order with that clear challenge made

jakimp

did they fit a new bulb as part of the service?

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
did they fit a new bulb as part of the service?
I don't think so and given they've basically offered a new case for free, didn't want to bite the hand that feeds!!!! I'll check though......I need to get better at asking for stuff!!!!!!!!! o_O

Stridsvognen

I dont understand why anyone would want to sende these projectors with DPD or standard postal service, we all know how they toss it around, and no idea what long term consequences these hard drops will have on lamps panels and potential optical elements shifting and stressing the lens mount.

I would think it would be logical to sende out a flight case on a small pallet for the client to safely put the projector in, and all handeling done by fork lift, can only imagine its cheaper in the end.

After getting my RS2000 from DPD i will never ever again accept that kind of shipping for a projector again, the styroform was well beaten up and the projector shifted to the one side inside the box, thats not something you like to see when you open the box to your new toy.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
So, my machine did have a hardware fault - I asked for details and none were forthcoming, but according to them it has been completely fixed and tested and is being returned to me by the end of next week.
... deleted... thought I was in another thread! D'oh.

Timh

In July I purchased a Denon AVR-X4500 at £950
It arrived via DPD and the box was battered, with something loose inside the box.
Phoned the dealer to reject it and they promptly sent a replacement.
I didn’t even open it.
If I was purchasing a Projector at 5K I would be quite happy driving a couple of hours to pick it up from a dealer.
Maybe the above poster could upload a photo of the battered package.

Attachments

Graham N

I had to have mine replaced due to a loose lens assembly and poor convergence.. new one is fine.
I received my N5 last week and ceiling mounted it. The upside down menu was looking ok and when I flipped it in the menu the convergence was way off. Been doing a lot of testing and posting on AVSForum about it.

I have got it pretty good but the maximum of two pixels wasn’t nowhere near enough and I had to use -28 on the fine setting as well.

How far out was yours and what is the replacement like for comparison?

Mine is being collected on Monday

thanks

Graham

Stridsvognen

I would think they should specify the repair, so there is documentation for the specifik repair as that would have to be covered by new warrenty on those parts. Think there is a law for that here in -denmark, ill try check with some of my connections in the consumer electronic repair buisness.

Stridsvognen

Here is a few pics of my RS2000 box, after i removed the outer box.
20190923_125107.jpg
20190923_125212.jpg
20190923_125258.jpg

panman40

Distinguished Member
DPD used to take great care with deliveries and were the best of the bunch, not so now.
If I was to purchase say an N7 I would go the route of having it setup and thoroughly checked for convergence, lens sharpness etc and possibly a basic ootb calibration, then with acknowledgment from the dealer everything is spot on I would arrange a private door to door courier, in my case very expensive as my preferred dealer and I are opposite ends of the UK.

Trending threads

Latest News

Dolby Atmos Music comes to Tidal streaming service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung TVs unexpectedly losing access to BBC iPlayer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins to release updated Formation Home app in 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 2000 Pro Series subwoofers