JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Quick update:

1. Did the factory reset on the PJ - no change (apart from me forgetting about a couple of submenus and losing my calibrated settings that I hadn't noted down...…. :mad:)
2. Not able to do an AVR bypass until the weekend - well, I am, but its faff and I'm working late this week so what I really mean is I'll do it at the weekend...…...
3. The main reason for waiting until the weekend being I removed the 3D emitter and BOOM! A perfect 90 minute viewing session. I switched HDMI inputs on the projector, tried all my sources and it remained perfect.......

I'm genuinely baffled. I've replied to JVC who asked me all these same questions so will see what they come back with...…..but I'm gobsmacked. I've watched a handful of 3D movies on the projector prior to v3.10 and they played perfectly so no idea how this emitter can be part of the problem, but all I know is since pulling that little black box out of the back of the PJ I've had flawless viewing......

…..and I do mean flawless. Tried multiple films - Black Sunday on grainy blu, Endgame and The Revenant on UHD - and its looks just gobsmackingly good. I can't say for sure if the biggest difference is me simply leaving the DTM HDR on high lamp mode (my previously calibrated HDR mode was in low lamp mode) or if its actually the DTM, but if the projector carries on playing ball over the next week (wife and daughter on holiday, I'm at home all on my lonesome...:clap:) I'll do some proper direct comparisons.

But I hope to god, this can be fixed simply and with me keeping this model. Its so good when it works...…..

Sorry for going on, hope some of this may be useful for others (or rather I hope its not useful as no-one else has this problem!).

jakimp

glad you found the problem and can see how good 3.10 DTM is in action

still weird tho as I have left my 3D emitter in place before and since update and have never seen the issue you had but if it does happen I know where to go

enjoy your movie watching - spiderman into the spiderverse looked pretty amazing (sorry) tonight

jakimp

checked the foam air filter at the back of my N5 after 500 hours use - gentle vacuuming as stated in the manual but I found no discernible dust in any event

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
So.……….I am now the proud owner of the most expensive brick on the world......…...

:(

After nearly two films worth of faultless viewings, the dreaded green bars came back. So the investigation began.......

1. I tried every piece of kit in every AVR input to see if it was a kit/HDMI issue: certain bits of kit (both Panasonic UHD players) in every AVR input generated the bars immediately. Some didn't - the ATV took a good 90 minutes before it got the dreaded bars. Conclusion - not an AVR/cabling issue;
2. I bypassed the AVR and took both Panny UHD players direct to the N5 - immediate green bars; and
3. Finally I switched inputs on the N5 and got the same.

Conclusion - my N5 is ****** knackered. The day my wife and daughter beggar off for a weeks holiday.......this could indeed be karma.

So JVC contacted, am now awaiting pick up details. I'm so disappointed. Whether or not this was all due to the v3.10 firmware update or if the N5 had a latent problem that it just wasn't showing very often (I had had the green bars before but only a handful of times in the early days and the firmware update wasn't exactly smooth sailing either), but for such an expensive piece of kit and with all the production delays they had to address these kind of issues, I have to say I'm really disappointed. The faff of dismounting it, finding suitable packaging (of course I haven't kept the original box, its the seize of our smallest bedroom!!) and the dreaded worry that JVC will investigate and go "can't find anything wrong with it, its all your kit/cabling".......

But anyway. One not very happy camper. My experience with JVC so far has been very good, lets assume that will continue and this will get sorted ASAP. Will keep the thread posted with the findings - this green bar issue has gone on with others, but the only solution I've found is that replacements have been given. Lets see what happens..............

PS just for poops and giggles, I got a new screen issue through all this. Want to see it? Ooooooo, pretty.

:mad:
N5 issue 3.jpg

Last edited:

jakimp

removing the 3d emitter isn't preventing the green lines? what have jvc said?

you cant have the dearest brick as there must be some equally broken N7's out there - sorry

jakimp

bugger !!

really sorry

that's why I keep the packaging but my smallest bedroom literally is a box (es) room

I am sure they will get it sorted - looking forward to your resolution

it does sound like the PJ and I assume you tried a different hdmi cable to connect the panny directly to the N5 with the same results?

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
bugger !!

really sorry

that's why I keep the packaging but my smallest bedroom literally is a box (es) room

I am sure they will get it sorted - looking forward to your resolution

it does sound like the PJ and I assume you tried a different hdmi cable to connect the panny directly to the N5 with the same results?
Yeah different cable was indeed tried. JVC have asked about the emitter but also knew that I was testing bypassing the AVR today so are expecting a reply.

Scouring AVS Forums, as you said there are a number of PJs with this exact same problem, but what seems to be the case is it’s a straight swap from JVC but there doesn’t seem to be any official word as to what’s causing this - my old X3 everyone knew about the dodgy front IR receivers and the ballast board problems but the silence on this just seems odd.

Ah well, over to you now JVC, do your stuff and don’t let me down........

Watching movies on a 43” LCD just isn’t the same.......:(

Thatsnotmynaim

I feel for you and hope it gets sorted easily and ASAP. This is one of the reasons (as well as not winning the lottery) I’ve held off on the nX series. Can’t help think it maybe something hardware related (maybe early hardware revision etc) which would tie in with why the solution is a swap out. If it is it’s a bit annoying to me as if they know there’s a potential fault why wait till it goes wrong to fix, someone may not have the issue until 37 months and then where do they stand. Also will your dealer not help out, loan you a pj etc? If not time to nip out to Curry’s before they shut at 8 whilst the family’s away and pick up a 4k OLED for tonight’s viewing?! :)

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
I feel for you and hope it gets sorted easily and ASAP. This is one of the reasons (as well as not winning the lottery) I’ve held off on the nX series. Can’t help think it maybe something hardware related (maybe early hardware revision etc) which would tie in with why the solution is a swap out. If it is it’s a bit annoying to me as if they know there’s a potential fault why wait till it goes wrong to fix, someone may not have the issue until 37 months and then where do they stand. Also will your dealer not help out, loan you a pj etc? If not time to nip out to Curry’s before they shut at 8 whilst the family’s away and pick up a 4k OLED for tonight’s viewing?! :)
Cheers bud. Allan at Ideal AV is away at the moment but to be honest the faff of mounting and dismounting a loaner is not worth the grief. I’m hoping JVC will arrange a replacement tout suite so I'm sure I can struggle on with the new 8K LCD.......dammit! I mean the teeny lounge TV I’ve currently got......:eek:

Stridsvognen

Could you check the production date of the unit, would be interesting to log here for future reference.

You can see it on the lable on the box.

20191008_225358.jpg

jakimp

Yeah different cable was indeed tried. JVC have asked about the emitter but also knew that I was testing bypassing the AVR today so are expecting a reply.

Scouring AVS Forums, as you said there are a number of PJs with this exact same problem, but what seems to be the case is it’s a straight swap from JVC but there doesn’t seem to be any official word as to what’s causing this - my old X3 everyone knew about the dodgy front IR receivers and the ballast board problems but the silence on this just seems odd.

Ah well, over to you now JVC, do your stuff and don’t let me down........

Watching movies on a 43” LCD just isn’t the same.......:(
have you tried re installing the firmware (if that can be done in any event)?

Coz22998

Distinguished Member

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
have you tried re installing the firmware (if that can be done in any event)?
I’m gonna wait and see if they suggest this. Again, others have seen other problems of reinstalling previous FW so from now I’m just gonna go by whet JVC say.

jakimp

just wondered if re installing might work as your issues happened after 3.10 installed - ie turn it on and off

my one is a march 19 build

panman40

Distinguished Member
I’m gonna wait and see if they suggest this. Again, others have seen other problems of reinstalling previous FW so from now I’m just gonna go by whet JVC say.
To be honest I would be looking for a replacement now from either the dealer or JVC.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
To be honest I would be looking for a replacement now from either the dealer or JVC.
The more I think about it, the more this is the right course of action, regardless of how good my model is/was.

Stridsvognen

I wonder if this is related to the hardware issue that was adressed shortly after they were released, it sure look like the same as been posted from a significan amount of users earlier around the net.

Ill have to admit all these variables make me wonder if i want the replacement RS2000, i already got my money back. Just need to order a new one if i want.

Ill love to have a good sample, but wonder if this series will be the one nobody will buy 2nd hand out of warenty, so a completer writeoff in 2 years, when there will be a replacement.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Also did your dealer calibrate it, if so then hopefully they’ll equally calibrate your replacement as a goodwill gesture..
Unfortunately not - paid for an independent calibration which will now have to be done again. Having said that, the only real change that was made was a taking of the brightness and some red in the image so unless a replacement looks like utter crap out of the box, I may not bother..........

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
I wonder if this is related to the hardware issue that was adressed shortly after they were released, it sure look like the same as been posted from a significan amount of users earlier around the net.

Ill have to admit all these variables make me wonder if i want the replacement RS2000, i already got my money back. Just need to order a new one if i want.

Ill love to have a good sample, but wonder if this series will be the one nobody will buy 2nd hand out of warenty, so a completer writeoff in 2 years, when there will be a replacement.
I think it absolutely is hardware related. I know this has kicked off after the v3.10 FW update but as mentioned, I did have this problem out of the box, it just hasn’t happened since.

This instability is such a shame as the N5 is a spanking projector and it would be a shame if this whole generation of models is blighted because of an admittedly high failure rate.

jakimp

sorry but it is unevidenced to say there is "an admittedly high failure rate" - have there been any other members on here save for you and strids who have had issues that need potential replacement units?

I will say it again that it is "dangerous" to draw any conclusions about failure rates based only the evidence of the (hopefully) few reports we have of major problems - I suspect that there are by now 1000's of owners worldwide using these without a problem and not bothering to tell us that their units are fine

it is also flawed in my view to suggest the N range will have no value out of warranty - if you believed these forums and the USA ones all epsons of the last range failed all the time and I see no shortage of buyers on here for used 7300 and 9300 models

whether it is hardware or software related you need your machine replaced but whether you get a new one or a refurb unit will be interesting - hope it gets sorted quickly

Stridsvognen

There have been quite a few firmware for this series, not something JVC normaly do, and there has for sure been a very high rate of return units, i called the local dealer and he told me they in a short while sold 7 units and returned 1.

Also concider how many users that dont do what i do, who have units with low performance parameters way below specs, who dont know or dont know how to see it.

All pro calibrators know that the JVC tolerances are huge, not many of them will admit or like to talk about it.

The thing is that even a bad sample like my RS2000 outperforms all other alternatives from other manufactures.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
sorry but it is unevidenced to say there is "an admittedly high failure rate" - have there been any other members on here save for you and strids who have had issues that need potential replacement units?

I will say it again that it is "dangerous" to draw any conclusions about failure rates based only the evidence of the (hopefully) few reports we have of major problems - I suspect that there are by now 1000's of owners worldwide using these without a problem and not bothering to tell us that their units are fine

it is also flawed in my view to suggest the N range will have no value out of warranty - if you believed these forums and the USA ones all epsons of the last range failed all the time and I see no shortage of buyers on here for used 7300 and 9300 models

whether it is hardware or software related you need your machine replaced but whether you get a new one or a refurb unit will be interesting - hope it gets sorted quickly
On here maybe, but go to other forums where the first N series units were released months ahead of the UK getting it’s first units - the US and Australia - and there are numerous examples of this green bar issue. Far more than I’ve seen with other JVC projectors. Ok granted, maybe ‘admittedly’ is a poor word choice but almost anyone who did a bit of research can see that there have been problems with this generation, from the delays to these issues.

I was even aware of them before I ordered mine, but I was confident with all the delays that these issues would have been sorted by the time I got mine. Classic case of ‘it won’t happen to me’........

I’m not even talking about issues such as poor convergence or things like that. Are these ‘significant’ in terms of actual numbers? Maybe not. But given the high price point and therefore the relatively small production runs (small compared to TV runs), it’s probably a % threat many could look at and say it’s unacceptable.

I accept that a new launch ain’t gonna be without its teething problems, but again all this is skewed by our own experience - many have had no problems at all. Which is exactly as it should be. But a number have had major issues and yes, it maybe that now I join the ‘vocal few’.

To be honest, it’s all down to how JVC handle these issues now that is the main issue. Sure it’s inconvenient to take down and be without your PJ, but if JVC come back with a replacement in a couple of weeks, then all is forgotten and forgiven. It’s a cracking projector and I certainly won’t be looking anywhere else for a replacement.

jakimp

I am not dismissing how utterly depressing it is to have a major problem on what is a major purchase in anyone's opinion - I know it was a big decision for me to spend twice what my epson had cost me - I would be gutted if I had your problem

my experience of buying a JVC projector from Al that became an expensive paper weight under warranty was as positive as it could have been as I had a new X30 to replace my old one in little over a week - I am sure your problem will be handled efficiently

I almost defy you to go any display thread on this or any other forum and find one where there is not a lot of members decrying faults in their products - it is what keeps these forums going - I bet the lucky one or two who can afford the new LG 88" OLED will be finding faults in no time - the perfect display hasn't been made yet and I suspect for us keen types at least there never will be

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
I am not dismissing how utterly depressing it is to have a major problem on what is a major purchase in anyone's opinion - I know it was a big decision for me to spend twice what my epson had cost me - I would be gutted if I had your problem

my experience of buying a JVC projector from Al that became an expensive paper weight under warranty was as positive as it could have been as I had a new X30 to replace my old one in little over a week - I am sure your problem will be handled efficiently

I almost defy you to go any display thread on this or any other forum and find one where there is not a lot of members decrying faults in their products - it is what keeps these forums going - I bet the lucky one or two who can afford the new LG 88" OLED will be finding faults in no time - the perfect display hasn't been made yet and I suspect for us keen types at least there never will be
Oh I agree entirely about Al and my contact with JVC - emails have been responded to within minutes, Al is even on holiday and he still managed to put me directly in contact with JVC. I do have every faith from what I’ve read that this will all be sorted as soon as possible.

And again I agree that the perfect display ain’t been invented yet - lots of faults that could be easily picked up on.

But these issues are magnified with smaller and smaller production runs - plus, the majority of PJ owners are likely enthusiasts who won’t tolerate a number of faults that say your average flat screen buyer would. And whom like nothing more than wasting time chatting on forums with like minded souls such as on here.

Hell, I have noticed the light corners on my N5 before all this crap happened but in my world, when a film was playing it wasn’t noticeable. So it wasn’t a problem to me. I just think that this run of projectors have had a number of major issues - which to JVCs credit they delayed the wider roll out until they’d been addressed. Mostly.......!

Factor in the pressure and expectation of a group of enthusiasts desperate for these to be the second coming and maybe these issues are normal for a product launch like this. In my experience they’re not but I’ll be the first to admit I’m no expert.

I do have every faith in Al and JVC to address this quickly so fingers crossed.......

Last edited:

anjan

I've had the dreaded bars issue - has not happened since the firmware update, and happens on average about once every month or two. The last time it happened was prob around 3 months ago.

That pattern I can live with. I'd hate to be in your shoes Coz22998 - it would be a gigantic pain to go through the rigmarole of sending it back and hoping JVC give you a fault-free replacement

jakimp

the light corners are I think unavoidable with this technology type - mine has it but not affected real content

I agree that if mine did the bars thing a handful of times i would choose to live with it as well

I think pj's are delicate devices by their very nature and we are all projecting on to the biggest screens we can fit in our rooms and then projecting the quick fox test pattern and then if its not perfect whilst pixel peeping the world as we know it comes to an end - we do demand perfection and that is tough to do in any product - I am almost surprised that JVC and Sony have any contented customers

Stridsvognen

the light corners are I think unavoidable with this technology type - mine has it but not affected real content
There is units that dont have bright corners, so it exists in all possible variations from perfect to horrible.

And if its something you notice in movies its to much, when watching movies like Zero Dark Thirty, Harry Potter, Sin City and other dark reference movies it should not be something you notice, if you do i would exchange the unit, also the contrast specs should be delivered in average across the screen, not just in the center.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member

I agree that if mine did the bars thing a handful of times i would choose to live with it as well

I think pj's are delicate devices by their very nature and we are all projecting on to the biggest screens we can fit in our rooms and then projecting the quick fox test pattern and then if its not perfect whilst pixel peeping the world as we know it comes to an end - we do demand perfection and that is tough to do in any product - I am almost surprised that JVC and Sony have any contented customers
I disagree on the bright corners. I had an X7900 with zero bright corners which was replaced due to a failed iris with my current unit which has some noticeable on black screen bright corners. Now, it might well not be possible to manufacture every panel to avoid them, so it is quite possible that this means costs that JVC don't want to bear to get units that don't have significant bright corners. But clearly units do exist without this issue, so it would be possible given the will.

Reality I think is most aren't sold to enthusiasts who examine the minutiae - they're sold to folk having a whole "wow" room done so the niggles that might be present pale into insignificance against the awesome room that the owner couldn't have built themselves. So most units are sold to happy customers I'm sure.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I disagree on the bright corners. I had an X7900 with zero bright corners which was replaced due to a failed iris with my current unit which has some noticeable on black screen bright corners. Now, it might well not be possible to manufacture every panel to avoid them, so it is quite possible that this means costs that JVC don't want to bear to get units that don't have significant bright corners. But clearly units do exist without this issue, so it would be possible given the will.

Reality I think is most aren't sold to enthusiasts who examine the minutiae - they're sold to folk having a whole "wow" room done so the niggles that might be present pale into insignificance against the awesome room that the owner couldn't have built themselves. So most units are sold to happy customers I'm sure.
Hi James, luckily my X7900 doesn’t have bright corners, agreed though variation between unit to unit on projectors can be large. From memory the previous XX500 range were a lot more stable than the XX900. I keep looking at the N series and wondering though ..

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung applies for Q-Symphony trademark for TVs and soundbars
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Hi-Fi Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Ed Selley
  • Published
McIntosh releases DA2 Digital Audio Module Upgrade Kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features