Jvc Mg77

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hillster, Aug 5, 2006.

1. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've taken the plunge and orderd an MG77. I know the Everio's have had mixed reviews but my neighbour lent me his and I was happy with the results.

I think there are a few people curious about the Everio's so I'll post my findings here once I've had a while to play around with it. Bear in mind it's my first camcorder so don't ask too many technical questions. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Hillster

2. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Right I've had a play around for a few hours and I'm pleased with the purchase.

It's nice and small, fit's comfortably in my hand and is easy to operate. The zoom is a little lively but I think the operatior needs to be a littleless heavy handed.

It's dead easy to transfer fro mthe HD to a PC and create DVD's although the software included doesn't look all that good but time will tell.

I guess the key is picture quality. Well, I'm more than happy with it. Playback via the camcorder or off dvd is good. I was surprised that the DVD I created looked better on my 43" plasma rather than on my 26" LCD. I thought the bigger screen would show up more imprefections but it actually looked more lifelike.

The only downside is the included software. Anyone have any other suggestions?

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    m8 i found this from the web

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_5801.html

The software is power producer of cyberlink. Its just basic editing software you could do much better. Is the output file mpeg or AVI file? If it is AVI then for better quality or should i say the best you need a decent encoder like canopus procoder or cinema craft basic (cheap) or cinema craft SP which is too expensive; in order to make AVI files into Mpeg 2 files and a decent authoring program like Tmpgenc authoring v1.6 to make into DVD files. For editing Sony Vegas is not bad for editing after initial learning process or some of the adobe editing software depending on your budget.

4. x70

x70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the MG77 a few weeks ago. It is my first camcorder so i cannot really compare with other models.
    I chose it mainly because i wanted to go HDD and avoid tapes. In fact initially i would expect to do only minor editing so i don't need the superior quality and flexibility offered by avi files produced with DV cameras. The camcorder saves directly in mpeg either on the HDD or on the SD card. Quality is very good for my level and i was very surprised when i saw the movie on my CRT TV: it looked so much better than on my PC LCD screen!

One thing i was a bit disappointed about is that you cannot upload files from an external source (eg PC) back to the camcorder HDD (see my thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380134). Don't know if it's the normal approach with all the HDD camcorders to protect HDD from external sources or is just JVC that has introduced this restriction on its models.

So be aware no input to the camera, except for mpeg files on SD (hence only small movies).

Teo