Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Jvc LT37DS6 - Anyone got one yet ???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by jerkyboy, Jul 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got one of these gorgeous JVC 37" LCD's yet ?.

Is it any good ?.

Is it better than the Sharp range ?

2. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 32 inch version and i love it!

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ;) Bump! - am looking to order the 37" tomorrow...does anyone have one and have any feedback or info?

32" version got raves reviews just wondering if the 37" is as good. I note the brightness is higher @ 600 vs 500 but the contrast is lower @ 800 vs 1000 on the 32" (according to JVC site)

Any info/link to reviews is GREATLY appreciated. :lease:

4. Vulgar Fraction

Vulgar Fraction

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep - I've just got it - I posted my review in the Hi-def forum by mistake - go have a look.

Hope it helps!

VF

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The JVC does look nice, but every time I have seen this panel it has been mated with that horrendous glass stand - like a throwback to the sixties. I would be embarrassed to have that stand in my lounge, can you buy it with the circular pedestal stand that the 32" uses.

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
  7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Currys

8. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Vulgar Fraction,

Thanks for that. It would seem that you are one of the very few to have this set. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

1) Are both of the scart sockets RGB enabled?
    2) So you have experienced no issues with Gaming on this set? - What games have you tried and was this a standard UK PAL Xbox? and have you tried any other consoles?
    3)What Hi-Fi magazine have the 32" set down as the class leader. Would you say that this is an exceptional LCD?
    4) Can you elaborate on your statement about not taking many resolutions please. I presume it take all standard SD & HD resolutions eg: 480i/p 576i/p 720p 1080i/p (the latter scaled down to the sceens native res obviously)
    5)have you tried it with any HD material yet?
    6)Are you happy with it? How would you rate the picture quality out of 10 on the following sources: Sky, DVD, Games & HD (if you have tried)

Sorry that there are so many,,,just dont want to have to send yet another TV back (am sending a 46" Samsung DLP back as I suffer with Rainbows :( )

Any help is appreciated!! :smashin:

9. pebblebeach

pebblebeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it look any good with sky?

Thanks

10. daxus

daxus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these TVs. Ordered from sselectronics on Saturday and delivered on Bank Holiday Monday... Impressed with that :thumbsup:

Faust, personally, I really like the stand, so I guess that is a subjective area, since I don't feel remotely embarrassed. :) You can always order with the pedestal if you don't like it...

You can download the manual from the JVC UK site if you want to check all the connections / resolutions etc. Both SCARTS are RGB enabled.

Looks great with the higher bandwidth channels on Sky, such as Channel 5. The Dinosaur thing with Bill Oddie on the BBC looked great. But whilst the TV tries its best with the lower bandwidth channels you do get some pixellation and blockiness, where the picture information is just not there. This is not really the TVs fault, and I also noticed this with my previous 32" CRT.

DVDs look fine using progressive over component input.

I really like the picture, the colours are vibrant, and given a good signal I think the picture is superb with a lot of detail. I have never owned a plasma, DLP etc. so my experience is restricted, but I am very happy with my purchase. Can't wait for hi-def to begin.

11. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    bumpety bump! :D

Any got a definate about the Scarts? are or are they not RGB? had a look at the back of a 32" set today in Currys and it looked like S-Video only (it normaly says RGB doesnt it?)

12. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
  13. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not any more! :D
    Price:£ 2,203.95 Save:£ 296.04

Anyone able to confirm on the Scarts??

14. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes they are both RGB.

15. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sky movies is ok all the rest are poor

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks nh3com :thumbsup:

PHEW!

17. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have just noticed that the response time on the 37" is 12ms and the 32" is 7ms. What gives!? :mad: I thought it was just a larger version of the same panel :confused:

18. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I guess they just can't make the bigger panels with response times that fast.

I checked this out today. All there was on it was the usual analog RF crap so I can't really tell what it's like yet. Was unimpressed by the blocky CRT-like on screen menus though, but I'll bet the image quality's good.

19. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Very interested to know if this series of DIST based LCD sets does RGB 60HZ (either PAL60 or NTSC) through the RGB scarts (Ext 1 & 2). This was a significant failing of the DIST based CRTs - they could do 50HZ but not 60HZ. Either the pic reverted to composite (yuk) or did not display in the proper colours.

20. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well my set has the dreaded back light buzz, set it to full and no buzz anything else and there's a damn buzz. i'll give jvc a bell tomorrow.. anyone got this problem?

21. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :hiya: nh3com - Set mine up this evening...seems ok, no noise/buzz.

Am at a loss over RGB via Scart. there seems to be no way to know what is being displayed. Image on sky is a little on the blurry side. When i change EXT1 to S-video input everything goes black and white + "meshy" (best way to describe it) BUT! the image is sharper :confused: in my experience the only thing that s-video is sharper than is composite.

I can get a sharper image by reducing Digital VNR to low or off but this introduces alot of noise to the image, even on Sky menus! they are all bitty and noisy around the lettering. Dont suppose anyone can help on these fronts can they? :lease:

22. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a 32" DIST CRT for over 2years and it has 2 RGB sockets. Both of them work with 60hz and NTSC, and the picture quality is amazing!

I am using some ntsc consoles and a pal xbox outputting pal60, and the screen informs you of 60hz detection by the screen flashing for a moment as the scaler kicks-in and boosts the SD image to 1500.

I don't know where you heard the RGB could only do 50hz, but it is completely wrong!

DIST is an excellent technology, I can't wait to get the 37" lcd!

23. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    I did not 'hear' about the problem - I owned a 28p37 set which displayed this 'feature'. I also had it confirmed from JVC themselves and by GaryB (an engineer who is incredibly useful on all matters JVC - he got the 'tearing' problem with the CRTs fixed - did you ever notiec that with component inputs and prog scan video?) that these sets did not do RGB 60HZ. It was something I was concerned about when I owned the set, as I thought it might need servicing. Which DIST TV did you own? If you search the threads on the CRT forum, you will find numerous references to this problem with 60HZ and RGB, from a variety of people. See, for example, http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95501&page=20&pp=15&highlight=jvc, and particularly http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172260&page=6&pp=15&highlight=jvc+rgb.

Perhaps what you had been seeing was upscaled composite - I admit it was good, but it was not RGB. On the CRTs the easy way to tell (apart from with one's eyes) was to look at the menu options - suddenly 'Auto' was available in SuperDigipure, which is not available with RGB (only 'Min' and 'Max' are).

Once again, I wonder if the problem has been sorted on the LCD sets. Will be glad if it is.

24. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the 32D25EJ. I have been using Ntsc and 60hz RGB Scart consoles with the screen for over two years with no problems at all. The screen goes in to 60hz mode when I use a 60hz device and the image is rock-solid and excellent!

I use both RGB Scart sockets and they both work fine. I am not an amateur, I have been using import 60hz RGB consoles since 1991 so I would know if composite was being displayed. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, so I would notice any problems!

The manual states that 50hz signals are boosted to 1250i at 75hz and 60hz signals to 1500i at 60hz. When you use a 60hz device the screen scaler kicks-in with a flash to the bottom of the screen and then the display is at 60hz rather than the standard 75hz.

I had never heard of people having problems with DIST, I hope the LCD's are o.k, because I want to buy one at xmas!

:)

Edit... I have connected some composite devices in the past, and it's the usual story colour bleeding and fuzzy edges. What I'm getting is definitely pure 60hz RGB.

25. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the sky screen menus on mine are really clear, is your sky box set up to output RGB instead of "pal" as sky like to put it. well last night not only have a got this buzz but i also have a speaker hiss when the volume is turned off.. looks like it's going back.

26. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to hear about the problems with the set...will you get it swapped or just get another TV?

Yep! first thing i checked was the the digibox output. have tried setting to PAL and RGB and there is not a real noticeable difference?? Would this be indicative of it displaying a composite feed throught the scart rather than RGB? - Tha manual does state that the sockets can receive an RGB signal but the image is not really as sharp as I would have hoped for. My Samsung LE26R41BDX gives a better picture on the sky menu's :(

Blacks dont seems all that good either. Not by any means bad but from the reviews the 32" got I was expecting something at least a little bit special.

Can I ask what setting you are using for Sky on your set...?

On a positive note: I watched some DVD's via component last night on my Denon DHT550 and was blown away! Absolutely breathtaking! Now just to sample some HD :D

Tried my Gamecube (PAL @ 60hz) no button lag or motion smear but did notice rolling diagonal lines accross the screen. I ahve this same effect on my Sammy LCD so I am guessing that it is to do with the lead I am using.

Will try out other consoles (Xbox & Ps2) tonight if I can and report back to y'all but any help making sky look better is appreciated.

27. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i like the set so i'll get a replacement. Hope the buzz isn’t an inherent problem

when i change from RGB to pal there is a big difference, the menu's and lettering go all fuzzy. i have a sky+ pace V2 box if that helps.

not to sure what you mean about the blacks, watched a few dvd's and movies off sky+ and the blacks are really black in that you cant see any detail.

28. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The buzz shouldnt be inherant, mine (touch wood) is fine. When I was behind the TV swithching plugs etc i did notice a slight buzz but once youre out from behind it you couldnt hear it, even with no volume.

I have another Sky box...I will have to give that a shot tonight.

29. nh3com

nh3com
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yep mine started out like that. The next day i could really hear from 10 feet, after a couple of hours in disappeared. Unfortunately it came back, if you have the backlight on 100% then it goes.

30. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    :eek: Sounds ominous....
    I really dont want to have to send another TV back repackaging a 46" DLP wasnt fun and so far I like this set.