JVC LT32DS6, Pioneer 575 and NTL Setup Issues - Anyone help?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Chorlton, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Chorlton

Chorlton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay just got all my nice new kit and spent some the weekend setting up, but Ive got a couple of issues.

Issue 1:

Ive changed the setting on the TV so if it doesnt know what the picture setting is it will display in 4:3.

When I watch freeview this is fine but so far on the channels Ive watched the picture has been 'full'.

I get no picture detection from NTL at all. Previously I watched NTL in Nottingham via an aerial lead and that detected the picture size all the time Eg sky one would be widescreen but NickJr in 4:3.

Where I am now the NTL box is connected via scart to Ext1 and in the NTL box settings you can only select 4:3 or widescreen. As we currently watch more NickJr than Sky One its set to 4:3 there.

I basically cannot get the picture to automatically change to the correct size from NTL. Any solutions?

Issue 2:

Ive also got a new Pioneer 575 dvd player and have connected via component. Again when I switch to the dvd player channel, it keeps the picture in 4:3 and I manually have to alter it to 'panoramic'. This is a bit annoying, plus when I flick back to NickJr the picture stays in panoramic.

Any solutions on this one too?

These are minor things as the PQ is fantastic, but the screen size auto detect function on my old Thomson CRT worked fine, so Ive got used to it.

Cheers for any help.

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You should set the jvc to auto and set the cable box to widescreen you should then get the correct aspect ratio depending on the channel your watching. i dont think component carrys auto switching signal so you will have to manualy select the correct aspect ratio when watching dvds.

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yep, as "peahead" said, set the NTL box to widescreen. This means it'll output a 4:3 signal for 4:3 channels, and a 16:9 one with widescreen channels. It's just that loads of channels on NTL are still 4:3.

With the sets in my house, what I have to do is set them to 4:3, and they'll stay in that unless they get a widescreen switching signal sent to them. (but you only get this via SCART, component etc don't carry a WSS signal)

4. Chorlton

Chorlton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response. At least I know now that I have to manually switch and switch back with the dvd player.

I'll check again on the NTL box, I did set this to widescreen, and the TV is on auto, but I still get the 4:3 channels appearing in widescreen.