Jvc Lt26ds6b

SIDEARM said:
So no motion blur at all when gaming then?

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that, motion blur does inevitably rear it's ugly head in very fast moving games, if you watch the scenery flying past at top speed in Forza closely enough you will notice it, you will also crash.

It may also be possible that in this case the effect is worsened by the fact that the game only manages 480p and is therefore subject to quite a bit of scaling to fill the screen. I have tried both Fifa street and Amped 2 in 720p and was impressed with the results,although not as fast moving, certainly better than the 480p feeds and so this bodes well for the next generation of consoles with native 720p support.

Its also perhaps worth pointing out that blurring is worsened if the transition is repeatedly alternating from say black to white, mid range colours seem to suffer a great deal less.

The point being that while motion blur can occur at high speeds I have not so far noticed it as a distracting element during gameplay, even Half Life 2 has been an enjoyable experience especially on a much larger screen than I have on my desktop.

Just a little more from me. I've found that what some people call 'smearing' or blur is nothing to do with the panel or its response time, it is caused by having the Video Noise Reduction up too high. I've just been meddling with the DIST settings (you can have different settings for each source, ATV/DTV/EXT) and with it on high, the tennis players get t-t-trailing m-m-multiple i-i-images when they run around. Set it to low and the prob is solved, and so far I've not seen any noise effects. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just remembered something else. Our little 17" Grundig LCD has terrible trouble with the sideways scrolling text on BBC24 and SKY News - its all stroby and jerky. The JVC presents it just like a CRT (but not misconverged or fluffy at the edges!) :thumbsup:

Thanks Stuart, Andy. This is sounding increasingly like a top set for gaming. I can handle 480p on xbox and gamecube having some minor motion probs as I suspect they do on every LCD tv. Anyhow as you say Stuart after november most of my gaming will be at 720p anyway.

I agree with you Andy, and the 26" may differ from the 32", however I have played with all the TV settings to death and regardless the problem persists, it is however very minimal, yes scrolling text on BBC news and so on is fine but its a lot different to something flying past at speeds far greater than used for the text scroll.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way trying to put anyone off this TV, quite the opposite I love it to bits so far and I have a bit of experience with the technical side of these types of displays so it is in my nature to scrutinize and look for faults ,wish I didn't. But if someone were to purchase these screens expecting to never see a hint of smearing they would be a bit peeved if they looked close enough.

It's certainly no worse than most other screens I have seen and in the vast majority of cases a good deal better, trust me I wouldn't have spent my money on it if it wasn't bloody good.

All noted, Stuart. I spent 20 years in the TV repair trade (all CRT...) and I'm similarly picky about the quality of the pictures I watch. With this LCD I sometimes find my self saying out loud "bloody hell, will you look at that! What a cracking picture!!", the next I'm quietly wondering if those dark reds would have looked so grainy on a CRT!
One thing I don't miss is the bends, especially noticable when watching a 4:3 programme on a wide screen CRT. Oh and the flicker - watching CRT after half an hour with an LCD is painful until you get used to it.

As for this particular set, I'm well chuffed. Not the cheapest, but that's life :thumbsup:

Any clue as to the difference between LT26DS6B and LT26DS6, or are some retailers just being lazy and leaving the B off.

What designation do yours have Andy and Stuart?

Dave

You'll love this, Dave! Mine's an LT26DS6BJ, and according to the manual, they also do a SJ! I'm not sure what the difference is, unless it refers to the clour of the panel surround - ours is B-lack, so perhaps S is S-ilver :rolleyes:

msg said:
Any clue as to the difference between LT26DS6B and LT26DS6, or are some retailers just being lazy and leaving the B off.

What designation do yours have Andy and Stuart?

Dave
The B simply means Black in reference to the gloss surround apparently a silver is/was planned. Mine has the rather unfortunate BJ ending :laugh:

Edit: Pipped to the post I see. :oops:

An unsuccesful day yesterday, I visited John Lewis, Currys and Dixons and couldnt find the LT26DS6, only the previous model which had it seems been discounted a little.

I have just been looking over some reviews of the previous 26" model at the what video website (the LT26D50BJ) and they mention a problem :

The very same sequence, however, also
shows up one of the TV's major flaws. The
slow pans across the static rows of NS5s
cause all kinds of wobbles, especially
around the machines’ heads, which jump
and flicker all over the place. Elsewhere,
subtle things such as actors walking across
screen are afflicted with enough judder to
draw attention to themselves and these
glitches, once noticed, are hard to ignore.

Is this some kind of motion artifact problem they are reffering to? Does the new set suffer similarly or have they fixed it? Apart from this they seemed very impressed with the model.

I noticed that the old D50 got mixed reviews, that's why I decided to view the DS6 for myself before buying.
I've never come across an LCD yet than is happy with slow/medium pans, especially across things like faces. Details can sometimes get 'left behind', and if the pan is very slow it can look as though the face has been stuck on afterwards. I've only seen it once on this set, and that was on The Sweeny on Men&Motors (bloody Freeview again...), which seems pretty poor in the PQ department itself.

Regarding availability, I suppose they want to shift their D50's before putting the DS6's on the shelves.

The DS6 uses a newer version of DIST than the D50 so the performance is better. I'll try to get some more information later on which dealers are taking them so anyone who wants to see one can hopefully find someone reasonably local.

Thanks for the replys guys. Andy, you said you have been playing DOOM 3 on the set, and I have just been playing that on my old CRT. It seems the game is very dark with lots of things jumping out at you. Does the LCD lose details in the dark corridors or do things remain quite clear? (sorry for all the questions :D )

Funnily enough Sidearm, DOOM3 actually seems a bit better in the dark bits than it did on the old CRT! Perhaps I've got a bit more brill on the LCD, I don't know, but it certainly looks good.
There's little sign of smearing or multiple images caused by the processing. You can spot a bit if you sit looking for it, but DOOM 3 is not a game in which you can afford to admire the scenery, or you're dead (or end up with soiled pants..)! :eek:

Sounds great! I really am on the verge of ordering this set. Im going to try and control myself for 2 or 3 weeks and see if I can get it a little cheaper as im going to buy an upscaling DVD player at the same time. Arrrrgh I want to play Freedom Fighters in 720p though!

Here's something - I was watching 'New Tricks' last night on BBC1 (via Skydigi), the first time I've seen it on this LCD. In some shots (mainly in the lab) there was a very fine grain visible, and at first I was wondering if this was a failing of the JVC. But then I began to see the odd 'sparkle', and I realised it was shot on film! I'd never noticed this on the old CRT, and I had always assumed it was done directly onto tape.
Now is this bad because it shows up things you'd rather not see, or is it good because it shows the extra resolving power? I think it's good!

sounds good...
so are you guys getting 1:1 pixel mapping via a PC...?

I saw this TV in Currys yesterday and the analogue picture looked pretty decent, but the git wouldn't hook up a DVD.

I am considering this or the Sagem HD-27 for a bedroom TV. Which would be used mostly for x-box, DVDs and PC.

I would buy online ;) .

JVC is more expensive than the Sagem (DVI), but isn't it better to have HDMI than DVI as HDMI carries the sound as well?

Theresa

Hi Theresa,
I've heard good things about the Sagem. It has an HDCP enabled DVI socket so you'd be OK if you went for SKY HD. I see it won 'Editor's Choice' in Wot Plasma&LCD magazine, too. Can't be bad, and a good deal cheaper than the JVC, too!

I wouldn't know about the results on PC, HSC - I've not bothered with it so far.

After reading up on the sagem it seems it has some problems with blacks and contrast. Its likely the picture isnt quite as nice as the JVC (but still above average) but then again it is significantly cheaper.

I have ordered the JVC from Lets Go Digital (another poster recommended). :D

It's SOooooo exciting. I supposed I will need to get and RGB cable for the X-box (it's box standard - not chipped).

Any other connection 'stuff' I should get?

Theresa

Congrats Theresa! :thumbsup: I hope you'll come back and give us your impressions on your new set!

Yes definitely get an RGB scart cable, but try to make sure its the official one as there are some not so great ones out there. However if you are feeling adventurous there is a way to get progresive scan running on your xbox without the need to open it up and install a mod chip. They call it soft-modding and you can get all the information you need here:

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

Anyway good luck and I hope the TV is great! :smashin:

Mine arrived from 'lets go digital' this morning (most impressed with their service and friendliness).

Been playing around with it for last few hours and am very impressed with picture on freeview; much better than I expected on a LCD.

DVD (standard interlaced) looks excellent (compared to my old CRT), though can't wait to get hold of an upscaling progressive player.

I've taken backlight to below half power to get comfotable viewing level and am amazed by depth of blacks.

Tried hooking PC up with 1024 x 768 output. Can't understand why picture is stretching to fill the screen instead of maintaining proper aspect ratio. Ideas anyone?

Also, slightly confused by EPG. It allows you to reserve programmes for watching later and for recording, but doesn't appear to let you select a programme to watch now (or am I missing something obvious?).

No sign of dead/stuck pixels.

Overall, very happy with this purchase (and glad I cancelled the Samsung; I fear its picture would have been far too bright).

Dave

Have you tried (does your graphics card support?) a widescreen format? Most graphics cards will output in widescreen resolutions.

Wahey! Glad you like it, Dave. :thumbsup:
I've also ended up with the backlight set at just under 'standard', and a few small tweaks of the contrast and brightness2 got it just right.

I've not tried it on the PC, but does the 4:3 preference thingy work on the PC input? Basically this control tells the set what to do when it gets a 4:3 signal - it can show it as 4:3, or as 16:9 or 'panorama' (intelligent stretch). It comes set to the latter (ugh!).
As for the reserved programmes, I've not been there yet!

Does your panel show a very dim blue-ish glow at black level (eg between inputs)?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom