1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jvc Lt26ds6b

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Andy3, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    OK, bought this yesterday after looking at various models which suited our needs (integral Freeview, HDMI, decent pic quality, no 'elephant ears') and so far we are well chuffed. The pics are clean (well as clean as you get on freeview...) and bright, and most of the time the blacks are fairly good - much better than our little Grundig 17" which can't get anywhere near black.
    It looks remarkably good on analogue TV and the higher quality channels on SKY (RGB feed) are good too.
    There was a programme on last night about TV advert music, and the newly-recorded interviews were eye-peeling in their clarity and lack of noise, really impressed :smashin: . I suspect they were shot in HD, apparently a lot of stuff is.
    On DOOM 3 on XBOX(also RGB fed), it was far better than I imagined it would be, with only slight lag noticable if I looked for it.
    Lots of things to play with, just to annoy the missus :D
    Sound is not quite as deep-throated as our old Pana CRT (a TX28PK3), but it's quite pleasant and very solid.
    We don't have any HD sources as yet!

2. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Andy

Does it have auto ambient light control to reduce backlight at night?

Did you get it for a good price?

Dave

3. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No ambient light feature, which would have been nice. :mad: Having said that, last night I turned down the backlight for a more gentle picure, expecting to have to whack it up again today, but it's fine!

Price - ooh. We decided not to use one of these low-price online retailers, as we've read too many horror stories about non-supply or duff screens having to go back. So we bit the bullet (our CRT telly had met it's maker) and paid £1400 at Comet. Yeah I know......but it meant we could bring it home and plug it in! We did think about waiting for the Pana TX26lxd500, but there's no sign yet. Anyway, deed is done and we are mightily impressed :D

4. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    £1400!!!

Thats a heavy price mate!

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Eep! You know, if there HAD been anything wrong with it, it'd be much easier to send it back to an online retailer because of the Long Distance Selling Regulations. Glad to hear you're pleased with it though!

6. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for not taking the p!ss, chaps. More money than patience, maybe :eek: ! So far I've not spotted any dead or stuck pixels, which is a mercy. It came with the contrast and brightnesses (there's 2 of them, one for the backlight, one for the panel) screwed well up, probably to give the 'mug's eyeful' effect, but a bit of tweaking got it looking less aggressive and really very nice.
    I caught a few minutes of an old b&w carry on film yesterday and it looked a bit like a video recording with far too much HF filtering on, so perhaps a spot more tinkering is called for.
    So far so good :smashin:

7. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting model this is it new? Can you tell us what connections it has? And how is the panel at showing fast moving objects, any blurring over motion? Cheers!

8. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes - new model - hitting the shops now - internet sellers starting to get stock (if you believe their websites).

2 scarts, HDMI, component, sound in and out, D-sub/VGA.

7ms is indicated response time.

Hopefully new owners will share experiences after they've lived with this LCD for a while.

Dave

9. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7ms wow! Sounds very impressive, but then again it is the most expensive 26" around. Do you guys think the price may drop at all within a couple of months. Im buying a 26" sometime between now and august and I want to get the best possible model for: 1. HD games (Gamecube at 480p and xbox and xbox360 at 720p) 2: Freeview 3: DVD at 720p (getting a Samsung HD850).

Do you guys reckon this is a better tv than the Sammy LE26R41BD?

10. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi all,
    Back again after watching more of the new JVC. Observations so far:

Sky digi is displayed better than the built-in Freeview, which looks rather 'noise reduced'. I'll have a play with the settings tomorrow, when 'er indoors is out earning more money... :devil:

No lip sync troubles noticed so far.

It has full auto set-up on ATV and DTV, it found all the DTV channels and all our analogues, the only thing I had to do was edit our video channel onto pos9 (just to make it like our old setup for convenience).

Caught some tennis yesterday and noticed slight t-t-t-trailing behind fast-moving players, but this was on Freeview.

It has:

component input
    2 x RGB Scart
    S-video in
    composite on phonos
    D-sub for your PC
    DTV out for recording.
    HDMI
    But no DVI if that's important to you.

A proper 1366*768 16:9 panel.
    Analogue and digital terrestrial tuners. A green 'on' led and a nifty blue light er... thingy which you can turn off. I quite like it!

JVC has info on their website. Be warned this is not a cheap set!!!! aaargh!!

11. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    MSG - where did you get the 7ms time for the panel? I've read loads of stuff about this set and not one of them mentioned the response time!

Sidearm - you can get this set for considerably less than we paid if you are prepared to wait/be mucked about/take time off work and buy online. No disrepect to those who use online suppliers, but I just don't like them or their attitudes.

12. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Andy

7ms quoted in link below....

http://www.buyyourav.com/product_details.asp?prodID=1577

You're not having smearing problems are you?

Dave

13. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HOLY MOLY - £1400! For an extra £99 you could have got the 32" version of this TV + a DVD player from Unbeatable: HERE

EDIT:

Scrap that: RGB

14. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone seen this anywhere other than comet? (dont have one in striking distance) I might pop down to Dixons and John Lewis tommorow to see if they have it. If the 7ms response time is right and with all those lovely connection options this could be the ultimate 26" for high def gaming :D

15. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Andy

Can freeview channels be updated without losing current favourites?

Does it default to DTV or ATV when you switch it on? (can you select which it defaults to)?

Are you happy with having a fixed backlight setting for both daylight and night-time conditions (i.e. - no sensor for auto adjustment)?

Are black levels OK when viewing at night? (I would hope so at this price !!).

Any issues with skin tones/unnatural colours?

Have you fed it with upscaled pictures from HD DVD player?

Sorry about all the questions - I'm about to cancel Samsung LE26R41BD in favour of this - 50% more expensive (£1070 !!).

Thanks...

Dave

16. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi there

We won't really know the quality of this screen until someone gives it a good feed - 480p (progressive) DVD, Xbox through component etc. It's likely that the blurring is caused by interlaced signals (i.e. sky, freeview). LCD's are MUCH better with progressive and the blurring/smearing will probably go away all together if you give it a progressive feed.

17. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think I'd agree with that, Ramspeed. The odd effect I noticed on tennis didn't look like smearing as such, more like a processing atrefact from the electronics.

Dave - I've just been investigating your q's It seems to default to whatever you were watching when you turned it off, but if that was an external Scart source that is now switched off, it drops over to whichever internal source ATV or DTV) you used last. I think...

Blacks are about as good as I've seen on an LCD (but I haven't seen the very expensive ones). On 24 last night, I noticed a slightly raised black level compared to our old CRT set. Having said that, I've never been particularly impressed with 24 for PQ, it always looks dull and 'dusty' to me.

I'll have to read the manual to answer your q about DVB updates :rolleyes:

So far I've not poked anything but standard 576i up it. I suspect this set will shine when it gets a proper signal.

The backlighting would have been better if it responded to lighting conditions, but so far I've not really felt the need to fiddle with it on a night/day basis.

OOPS EDIT: Skin tones - I've seen the 'pancake make-up' effect a few times, always on either ATV or Freeview. SKY seems free of the effect.

I'm still happy!

18. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy, thanks for answering all these questions!

Anyhow what do you make of the D.I.S.T system? Can you turn it on and off? Does it help with clearing up the freeview picture? How good are colours and contrast? And finally how is the remote, well laid out? responsive?

Like msg I am now seriously considering this over the Samsung as it sounds like it has the same features but superior quality.

Cheers :D

19. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Sidearm -

The DIST is fully tweakable, but the effects seem subtle rather than in-your-face. I need to get stuck in properly to judge its effects.
    The colours and contrast are particularly good, although last night on '24' I thought the dark colours (at night in a rainstorm...) looked slightly grubby. Hard to tell.
    Loads of brightness, the sun streaming into the room (not directly on the screen) doesn't seem to bother it. Reflections of bright objects which used to bug the sh!t out of me on the CRT are no prob.
    The remote :eek: is quite something. It looks like it has been carved from solid platinum or gold, like an Egyptian artefact. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it..... It's well laid out but like a lot of remotes these days, looks like its upside down. I'm always pointing the wrong end at the telly!
    Theres a delay of about a second or two when you change sources or change channels on ATV/DTV.
    The menus are not quite as classy as some I've seen, but they are good-looking and very clear.
    If you get the chance go down to your local Comet and spend half an hour playing with one, and ask to see it on as many sources as poss. Our local branch had it showing the comet demo disc and (like all the other LCDs on display) it looked bloody awful. Once we got it onto proper TV, it started looking good. Still happy!
    Must go now, or Tesco's will have sold out of fresh salad stuff. Back later.

20. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've done it - cancelled Sammy and ordered JVC.

Placed order with www.letsgodigital.co.uk

Not the cheapest (£1096), but no delivery charges or credit card surcharges.

Overnight delivery (though I've requested delay to Wednesday as I'm not in the office tomorrow - yes, they also deliver to a work address).

AND.... 30 day money-back guarantee

They're very friendly and pick up the phone directly (no auto-attendant menu), and seem well informed/experienced (I dealt with Peter).

Dave :thumbsup:

21. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Bl**dy hell, Dave! I hope you like it after my glowing recommendations. There are small imperfections as with all LCD's and plasma, but I'm very happy with it so far. Good luck :hiya:

22. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top stuff :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing how you get on with it. Do you by any chance have the equipment to feed it hi-res feeds?

23. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Might try hooking up PC and viewing hi-res demo. Otherwise I'll be purchasing upscaling DVD during next couple of months.

Dave

24. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hey, anyone know how I can make my SkyDigi remote work with this set? I've tried entering the JVC code but it must be out of date by now, as it doesn't work. Are there updates or anything?
    I'm not really bothered, but often after changing channel on Sky, you need to adjust the volume and it's a pain in the *rse havig to reach for the JVC remote. Life's a bitch, innit?

25. Stuart McLean

Stuart McLean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 32" running in for over a week now and it still manages to impress me at times.
    480p from the Xbox is not much of an improvement over the standard 480i, 720p games (of which there are few) do look very good though.

720p video is really REALLY good (HD divx clips) and standard DVD video upscaled to 720p or 1080i with Mediacentre brings out the detail in a good transfer very well.
    576p from my DVD player is also quite impressive although not so much as the upscaled Xbox effort.

26. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So no motion blur at all when gaming then?

27. Stuart McLean

Stuart McLean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that, motion blur does inevitably rear it's ugly head in very fast moving games, if you watch the scenery flying past at top speed in Forza closely enough you will notice it, you will also crash.

It may also be possible that in this case the effect is worsened by the fact that the game only manages 480p and is therefore subject to quite a bit of scaling to fill the screen. I have tried both Fifa street and Amped 2 in 720p and was impressed with the results,although not as fast moving, certainly better than the 480p feeds and so this bodes well for the next generation of consoles with native 720p support.

Its also perhaps worth pointing out that blurring is worsened if the transition is repeatedly alternating from say black to white, mid range colours seem to suffer a great deal less.

The point being that while motion blur can occur at high speeds I have not so far noticed it as a distracting element during gameplay, even Half Life 2 has been an enjoyable experience especially on a much larger screen than I have on my desktop.

28. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just a little more from me. I've found that what some people call 'smearing' or blur is nothing to do with the panel or its response time, it is caused by having the Video Noise Reduction up too high. I've just been meddling with the DIST settings (you can have different settings for each source, ATV/DTV/EXT) and with it on high, the tennis players get t-t-trailing m-m-multiple i-i-images when they run around. Set it to low and the prob is solved, and so far I've not seen any noise effects. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just remembered something else. Our little 17" Grundig LCD has terrible trouble with the sideways scrolling text on BBC24 and SKY News - its all stroby and jerky. The JVC presents it just like a CRT (but not misconverged or fluffy at the edges!) :thumbsup:

29. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stuart, Andy. This is sounding increasingly like a top set for gaming. I can handle 480p on xbox and gamecube having some minor motion probs as I suspect they do on every LCD tv. Anyhow as you say Stuart after november most of my gaming will be at 720p anyway.

30. Stuart McLean

Stuart McLean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Andy, and the 26" may differ from the 32", however I have played with all the TV settings to death and regardless the problem persists, it is however very minimal, yes scrolling text on BBC news and so on is fine but its a lot different to something flying past at speeds far greater than used for the text scroll.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way trying to put anyone off this TV, quite the opposite I love it to bits so far and I have a bit of experience with the technical side of these types of displays so it is in my nature to scrutinize and look for faults ,wish I didn't. But if someone were to purchase these screens expecting to never see a hint of smearing they would be a bit peeved if they looked close enough.

It's certainly no worse than most other screens I have seen and in the vast majority of cases a good deal better, trust me I wouldn't have spent my money on it if it wasn't bloody good.