1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC LT26DS6 vs Panasonic TX-26LXD500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SIDEARM, Jul 1, 2005.

1. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it comes down to these two. Having looked for a good quality 26" LCD for freeview, hi-def gaming and upscaled dvds for about three months I am now approaching the time where im going to actually have to stand up and throw my hat in the ring. Barring any mishaps with my moving house im going to want to buy at the end of this month (dont want to bother lugging my crappy old CRT with me).

I have previously considered the Sony, Samsung and Sagem offerings in this size but they have all either had less features or lower performance levels than the JVC or Panasonic. The question is which to get. The panny has had some cracking reviews in this months mags but comes in at a horrendous price. The JVC hasnt been reviewed by any mags but has some very happy owners on this forum (and has the sexiest looks of any LCD I have seen).

I know I should really see them in the flesh myself before making a decision but I cant find any shops near me stocking the JVC (and obviously the panny isnt out yet).

Anybody out there know whether the performance of the JVC is significantly lower than the panny? Is the panny really worth the extra £200?

2. carphone

carphone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Me too. I have only one reservation. My real purpose for buying one of these is gaming. There seems to be alot of confusion about LCD response times and gaming. We are told that the lower the response time the better for eliminating motion blur. But this does not seem to be the whole story. The Panny we're considering here was commended in all the reviews for it's effortless handling of fast motion. But it only has a response time of 14 ms (not great compared to Samsung's 12 ms and many others). So there must be more to it than meets the eye - i.e. other technical considerations. I can't commit myself to the Panny until someone experiences it and can tell me that it handles Xbox games @ 480/720p without any problem. Then I'll believe...and then I'll buy.

4. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ramspeed - I too am buying with hi-def gaming at the top of my considerations. This is partially why I want to find a shop with the JVC, so I can take in my XBOX and test out the set in 480p and 720p for myself. To be honest I think we may be worrying a little too much as I have been told that in 720p (which all xbox 360 games will support natively) motion problems will be almost non-existant on sets with 16ms or faster response time as much of the movement problem which causes motion blur is introduced when sets are forced to rescale images.

Anyhow the JVC has a response time of 7ms. Were not going to find anything to beat that in the near future.

5. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Sidearm - it would be incredibaly useful to many of us if you could get that XBox and test it on the JVC and the Panny!! If you could tell me there was no blur at all @ 720p on either set I'd definitely buy one immediately and mod my XBox.

6. Tony_R

Tony_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i've practically decided on the JVC though its slightly out of my price range, so am going to wait for a price drop. Though I guess I could be waiting a while?

7. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ramspeed - Ill try, unfortuantely im just waiting for a shop near me to get it in stock, and then convince them to let me try my own equipment out.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hang fire on new panels until Sept/Oct - new models from all and sundry are launching then. So, you may get a better display for the same money, or save a small amount more as dealers shift EOL (end of life/line) stock.
    Given the whole HD affair and HCDP enablement, better off going for the new ones that state they are "futureproofed".

9. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did see the jvc lcd at two shops now, really liked the picture, very natural and very clear and sharp edges, not a single trace of lag on normal material, not sure about games though :(

10. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you see the JVC?

11. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Comet are stocking it

12. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    pjskel - do you have specific information as to what is coming our way in sept/oct?

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not specifics, but it is the time of year most manufacturers release their new models.
    Obviously JVC have released now, there are other products to come between now and August. Samsung, Sharp, and others will have stuff out then as well.
    If I learn of anything specific, I'll be happy to share the info.

The point about holding off is that new models' prices will drop by then, and if there's no need for HDCP in anyone's requirements, they could pick up a bargain of the previous generation model, as retailers look to clear the last of old stock out.

14. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope Samsung have already released their HD-Ready sets, the LExxR41B series. To be honest no sets coming out over the next 4 or so months will be able to offer anything (apart from different picture processing techs) over the HD-Ready sets that have just launched. Some people are holding on for the Sonys because they think that WEGA processing is the best (which it may well be). However these sets offer nothing in the way of extra connections over what is already available. It just comes down to price. Do you want to wait and maybe pay a bit less (or a bit more if you want a sony) or do you want to have your set now. Simple.

15. MancNJB

MancNJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the next generation Sharps, any details of release dates and are they worth the wait?

16. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have to agree with sidearm to an extent. Sharp will have some new stuff, so will Sony, Philips and Samsung (they've got a new range out Q4 - it's on the US website I believe). Most of the new things will involve various kinds of picture processing (WEGA, Pixel Plus 2 HD, DNLe for example). However, time and time again TV users on this forum have noted that picture processing is rubbish. It might help smarten up low rent feeview signals etc but does nothing for HD (in fact screws it up). Everyone always says terrible picture until I turned off Dynamic Contrast, DNR, etc etc and then it was fine.

As an example I traded in my Panny 28" CRT widescreen (2004 model) for an all singing all dancing Sony Wega CRT. The Sony was horrible. You either had to go for 100hz which i hate (smearing, dot crawl, artefacts) or go for the DRC 50/100 wega processing option which was...horrible. Same problems. Especially on NTL. DVD was better. Result? I sent it back and returned to my lovely Panny 50hz CRT. Beautiful clean natural picture.

Why do I want an LCD? Hi Def. Simple as that. 720p or games and Sky HD when it arrives.

But if you want a good picture you want it pure. That goes for LCD too. I for one will be testing the current champ - the Panny 500 series - when it appears this month. If it satisfies I'll wait til November (xbox 360) and buy it then at a greatly reduced price. Forget about all the picture processing nonsense. Hype, hype, hype. The moment you find an LCD that has good blacks, negligible motion blur in 720p, and HDMI...buy it. Don't wait for Picture Plus 5 HD etc.