1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC LT26C31 - service menu?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cerebros, Mar 14, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Anyone know if the LT26C31 has a service menu?

Had a quick play with one in Comet today, and the picture's superb, but it's clearly a 15:9 picture, as it's noticeably squashed when running anamorphic material through it - running the DVE 1.78:1 revealed the whole pattern, so it's obviously squasjing the image rather than chopping some of it off to fit the screen.

I tried using the "i" and mute button method which gets you into the service menu on JVC's CRT sets, but nothing happened...

I really liked the set, but unless you can adjust the overscan of the picture so that it's the proper ratio, I'll have to give it a miss...

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    You must have had a bit of finger trouble in Comet. The Mute/i combination does work on this model, the same as CRT sets. It can sometimes take two or three stabs to get the timing just right.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Must be a prob with the button I set up on my Pronto then - I took it with me cos i didn't want to cart round the remote for my DVD, so i set up a button to bring up the service menu on my Pronto which works with my CRT. Obviosuly not quite liking it on the LCD...

Can I assume from your answer to this and the other thread I've started recently that you've got the LT26C31 or one of it's relatives? If so, is it possible to adjust the overscan of the image?

As I said originally, the image I saw today in Comet on anamorphic picture looked a bit squashed horizontally, which i assume is beucase it's a 15:9 ratio panel (1280x768), so if i were able to overscan horizontally to the right ratio, this, or the LT32 (if i can find the extra pennies) could be the ones to replace my HV32P37.

4. John Boy

John Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question, do you actually know where to get the LT32, I have been trying to get hold of one all weekend.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The 32" has only just started production and will be in the shops later this week.

To answer cerebros, it's not possible to adjust the overscan in the standard Service Menu. I don't have one of these but I do have close connections to a certain manufacturer.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well if that manufacturer is JVC, ask someone to tell their head of QA for CRT's that they aren't doing their job properly! It seems the problems I've been having with all the HV32P37's I've had are extremely common, but that there are apparently good sets out there (it's just that none of them are being delivered to me :mad: ) - but for a set costing upwards of £800 retail it's not really on... <rant mode off>

7. tills

tills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a word to say no problems with mine, I think you were watching it in
    14:9 but you have a full settings optoin ie. 4:3/14:9/16/9,wide/zoom etc
    I find it supurb....try the link i bought mine their 3 months ago(26 inch)

good luck Tillshttp://www.krishav.co.uk

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, was watching it in Full mode - I had my Pronto remote with me which is programmed with remote codes for JVC's HV32P37 which are the same codes for the LT26C31 (althouugh the remote layout is slightly different) - as from experience with my JVC CRT I know that's the mode to use for anamorphic stuff, and it definitely looked slightly squashed horizontally although i might take another look if I get the chance to confirm this.

I did run the anamorphic test pattern from DVE through it and it displayed the whole image, so as the resolution of 1280*768 only gives a 15:9 ratio, it would either have to squash the image horizontally, or be omitting vertical lines to fit the image on screen...

As I say, if i can be satisifed that the LT26C31 is actually showing 16:9 rather than 15:9, or is 15:9 but the picture can be adjusted back to the proper ratio (i.e. no horizontal squashing), I'll definitely give it consideration if my next HV32P37 turns out to be duff as well...

Even if I had the funds I'm a bit unsure about going for the LT32C31. While the size will be great for DVD, low-ish bit-rate Freeview broadcasts do look blocky on a 32" CRT (actually 29.5" visible) widescreen, so they'll probably look worse on a 32" LCD (which must be closer to a 36" CRT set in viewable area...)

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I've seen them for sale here for £2215

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Went to the other local Comet today where they have the actual unit remote chained to the display unit and was able to get into the service menu, so I'm guessing the setting I did on my Pronto is very slightly off timing for the LCD...

Only got to see regular broadcast and the display was in Panoramic mode, so i didn't get a chance to properly determine if the picture looked squashed horizontally or not, and had the gf with me so there wasn't time to start asking about hooking a dvd player up or anything....

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    cerebros, were you using the pronto with discrete codes?

I think some of these 'not quite 16:9' LCD sets have at least one extra wide mode - my Philips does. So I have a 'wide' mode which fills up the screen and leaves people slightly too tall, and then a '16:9' mode which gives me the correct ratio but little black bars top and bottom.

Maybe the JVC is the same? Simplest way to find out would be to borrow the remote from a Comet person and toggle through the different zooms available.

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, it's got the same zoom modes as the CRT's, verifed this from both the manual and calling up the zoom menu in store. As I don't have any discrete codes for the zoom modes (haven't found any yet so they either don't exist, or more likely no-one's figure out what they are yet... ) I used the normal zoom button & cursors to select option.

It didn't seem to be giving any abnormal black bars above and below the picture that I could see.

13. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Quite a few of the current LCD sets are not true 16:9 ratio, as a simple measurement of the screen will verify.
    (16 divided by 9 = 1.77)
    Take a tape measure and check them when you next see them in a shop - tell the salesmen and then watch their reactions ! ! !

However, the forthcoming Philips LCD sets seem to have that problem sorted. Maybe worth the wait as the specs. seem to be the state of the art, compared to the current crop. They are due in April, so I believe.
    Regards

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, I know they're not 16:9 - you can work it out just from the screen's resolution (1280x768), never mind taking a tape measure to one (although I did that too to try and figure out what the equivalent image size would be when viewing in Regular (4:3) mode).

Think most of them could be done for misleading advertising, as I think they're described on the manufacturer's websites as 16:9...

15. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you manage to get to a final conclusion in the end?

This TV looks superb, but I am concerned by the problem with displaying true 16:9 images.

As long as it does introduce small black bars at the top and bottom, that's fine, but if it's stretching images to fill the screen, then it's a definite no-no.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or views?

I've tried e-mailing JVC for their comments, but have had no reply.

Cheers...

16. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To be honest I was put off by the fact that if you don't watch 4:3 material in one of the zoom modes, you get light grey bars either side of the picture instead of black. As I prefer to watch stuff in the correct ratio this was going to be too annoying.

At the moment I'm waiting to see how Panasonic's TX26LXD1 or TX32LXD1 LCD's turn out (annoyingly not in the shops until May I'm told so I can't judge performance until then...)