JVC LT-40ca790 Android TV. Analogue?

MCummins

Novice Member
Hi Folks,
Greetings from Ireland.
New here so thank you for allowing me access.
I have a JVC LT-40ca790 Android Smart TV. I got it pretty cheap so am happy enough with it even though it is only 2k.
Been trying to use an old Amstrad Sky TV Box through the the RF port but I cannot get the TV to scan analogue channels.
I have tried Menu-Settings-Channels-Analogue Manual Scan but that option is greyed out. Any time I try to get the TV to scan for channels, it will only do so for Digital channels.

Is it possible that my TV , just does not have an analogue tuner?

I have tried the SKY Box on another TV and it is working on RF channel 38.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Have you asked JVC/Currys for help on this as it's their own brand. Contact details will be in the manual.

Try a factory reset/first time install with the $ky box RF out in circuit and ON. It may then enable/find it?

page 54 certainly states it has has PAL I, BG and DK so it should work!

Page 17 looks to be the most useful area of the manual for this and you may be able to enable it via that sub-menu?

mikej

Does the Sky box have a scart socket ? If so, a better option might be to connect it to the TV's composite inputs via a composite audio/video cable and a scart adaptor.

If it doesn't have one, then Sky HD boxes that have scart and/or HDMI sockets can be picked up for peanuts on eBay. I've even seen them given away free on Freegle and in various buy/sell/free groups on Facebook.

It might be worth checking that these newer boxes will provide access to the basic/free channels without a subscription or card first though (presuming that that's what you're doing ?)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've suggested in your other post to make sure the TV isn’t set to an AV input.
The tuning menu is usually greyed out due to this.

MCummins

Novice Member
Have you asked JVC/Currys for help on this as it's their own brand. Contact details will be in the manual.

Try a factory reset/first time install with the $ky box RF out in circuit and ON. It may then enable/find it?

page 54 certainly states it has has PAL I, BG and DK so it should work!

Page 17 looks to be the most useful area of the manual for this and you may be able to enable it via that sub-menu?
Thank you. Will give it a try. O didn't think they would have gotten rid of analogue as far as this set us concerned.

MCummins

Novice Member
Thank you. I Will give it a shot.
Does the Sky box have a scart socket ? If so, a better option might be to connect it to the TV's composite inputs via a composite audio/video cable and a scart adaptor.

If it doesn't have one, then Sky HD boxes that have scart and/or HDMI sockets can be picked up for peanuts on eBay. I've even seen them given away free on Freegle and in various buy/sell/free groups on Facebook.

It might be worth checking that these newer boxes will provide access to the basic/free channels without a subscription or card first though (presuming that that's what you're doing ?)
It does and tbh, had nit thought of that. Cheers

MCummins

Novice Member
It would appear the issue is mute for the moment. I had gotten rid of SKY a couple of months ago. Disconnected the Q box and returned it to them. We had a severe thunder and lightning storm last week near my house and it would appear, it damaged the LNB as can not get a signal from it. have tried several box's and all are the same. So I will need to sort that out first off. Thanks everyone for yer great responses.

mikej

didn't think they would have gotten rid of analogue as far as this set us concerned.

To be fair, it's been almost 9 years since analogue TV transmissions ceased.

I bought my first TV and VCR in the late 90s and they both had scart sockets, which means that having to tune standard external sources in via RF hasn't been a thing for at least 20 years ! It's possibly still used in older, analogue distribution systems though.

I agree that it would be unusual for a TV not to include an analogue tuner, even now. It's been mentioned on here that digital and analogue tuners always tend to come together. I expect there'll be a way, if you follow the advice given above.

Sky box scart to TV composite will be the much better option though and save you further messing around.

mikej

It would appear the issue is mute for the moment. I had gotten rid of SKY a couple of months ago. Disconnected the Q box and returned it to them. We had a severe thunder and lightning storm last week near my house and it would appear, it damaged the LNB as can not get a signal from it. have tried several box's and all are the same. So I will need to sort that out first off.

My understanding is that the new LNB they fitted as part of the Sky Q upgrade won't be compatible with older equipment. You might need to swap the Sky Q LNB with one that's compatible with older Sky boxes.

I'm not a Sky user though, so hopefully someone more familiar with Sky equipment can confirm.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
My understanding is that the new LNB they fitted as part of the Sky Q upgrade won't be compatible with older equipment. You might need to swap the Sky Q LNB with one that's compatible with older Sky boxes.
Confimed. (Though I've not had $ky for ages over 12 years at least).

Lightning is most unlikely to kill a Low Noise Block and especially one that isn't connected to a receiver (i.e. un-powered).

Shouldn't stop the $ky box RF out though (to display menus/lack of signal boxes) IF the analogue tuner could be invoked to look for it?

Other post? Different Forum to this one???
I can't find another from the OP on AVF

MCummins

Novice Member

I'm not a Sky user though, so hopefully someone more familiar with Sky equipment can confirm.
Thank you. Yeah just found that out. Would appear the LNB will not work. So a hunting I must go for another LNB. Many thanks.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Confimed. (Though I've not had $ky for ages over 12 years at least).

Lightning is most unlikely to kill a Low Noise Block and especially one that isn't connected to a receiver (i.e. un-powered).

Shouldn't stop the $ky box RF out though (to display menus/lack of signal boxes) IF the analogue tuner could be invoked to look for it?

Other post? Different Forum to this one???
I can't find another from the OP on AVF

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom